1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Bioware confirms Dragon Age 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Jul 2010.

1. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

The combat in DA is dull

2. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I just checked my playtime on Xfire and I logged 77 hours which included Awakenings.

3. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Awakenings wasn't mentioned. But yeah if you add that on that's about another 15 or so hours. Think my first DA was 63 hours and my second play through was a couple minutes under 50 hours..not including awakenings. Which is why I said 50 - 55.

4. Chombo

Chombo What's a Dremel?

Honestly I kind of felt that Dragon Age Origins was longer than it really needed to be. Also its level design was entirely too linear for my taste.

5. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

Awesome news and will definitely be keeping an eye on it's development.

DA:O and Awakening were by far the best games of 2010 for me and I'm about to embark on my third play through, cannot get enough of it.

6. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

When I said short it's not so much the time it takes to finish the game, but more the time I spent actually doing proper content. A large amount of the time spent in the game was talking to people, dialogue to read, running back and forth, and time spent managing my inventory and buying/selling stuff. If you take all that away, it leaves very few hours of actual questing and fighting and solving puzzles. The Baldur's Gate games were a good length, even after all the dialogue and running around.

The main gripe I have though is the lame ending. I amassed enormous wealth and tons of potions and great gear, and then all of a sudden, the end of the game was upon me and I felt like I had to just blow it all to make the most of it.

Skip Baldur's Gate, and get Baldur's Gate 2 instead, ideally with the expansion pack. If you thought Dragon Age was long, you'll be amazed :p

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Truer words were never spoken. Agree across the board. DA:Os ending was incredibly abrupt and anticlimactic, the quests repetitive and dull ("'K' requests you bring 15 mushrooms to the Mage's Collective Barrell") and the money mostly useless. Cut out the pointlessly prolonged Deep Roads section and the game practically halves in length.

Baldur's Gate 2 was a far superior game. First run I did took 200 hours, counting reading time and all.

8. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I don't really want another dragonage, I'd settle for a revamp of the Baldur's gate series with the new engine though(preferably all of them in one massive game)

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Still haven't finished DA: O yet, not even played the expansions, didn't grab me too much.

10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Ooh, I could slap you for that :hehe:

This article reminds me: I bought DA when Steam was having an EA week. Another game to add to the list, after I've finished my second playthrough of ME2 and had a go at BFBC2.

11. Apoptosis

Apoptosis What's a Dremel?

I thought DA:O was great. Not flawless, but probably the best came that came out last year. Sort of makes me regret never having played any of the Baldur's Gates.

12. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah a lot of the content was getting the story out of each person at camp

think half of the game was voice content.. but when you look at the brood mother and even the thief boss.. without the dlc they are a lot of fun

with the dlc.. golem/armor.. ruined the whole freaking game- turned it into a console gamers wet dream :D who wants easy when you spend so much time building

13. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

Right on. I only actually played BG2 for the first time about 5 years ago or something, and even then I was amazed by it. It's annoying to be a "Things were better in my day" kind of guy, but with a lot of stuff it's just true. BG2 was a major challenge as well. Not sure what difficult setting I used but I remember I spent an entire hour trying to figure out how to kill one of the dragons. I used everything I had available to me, inventory items and all my character's skills and spells, and even then it was a very close call. The game was brutally challenging but that just made me even more hooked. Truly amazing game.

Not that Dragon Age was terrible, I quite enjoyed it, but I was definitely expecting quite a lot more. I wonder if this sequel will be better. I hope so.

14. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I played BG, BG2, NWN and then DA:O, DA:A. I enjoyed the BG series (but they were played a long time ago). I enjoyed DA:O but couldnt manage a play through again, due to the bit when you reach the kings camp just being boring, but I always wanted to talk to everyone in case a different character unlocked different content. DA:A was poor for a game that cost about the same as the original, I completed it in a quarter of the time, I was expecting much more. I had all the add-ons to DA:O too which all seemd ok. Have seen Darkspawn chronicles but not bought that, and just noticed Leliana's Song, which I may buy, could be interesting as she is a bit of a minx!

End of the day I preferred the BG series, but DA came with more eye candy due to the available graphics cards (try installing BG1 and play with the highest screen res lol )

15. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

Lol exactly.

I think there a few things which make DA:O pretty bad for re-playability which is another little disappointment. And yeah, BG looks pretty minging these days. Which is a shame because I think a lot of people hoped that DA:O would be like BG but with all the modern pretty graphic goodness. Pity that what we got was kind of a Baldurs' Gate Lite.

Tags: Add Tags