1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays CRT Monitor

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by torroray, 10 Jul 2010.

1. torroray

torroray What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

Today my Crt monitor turns pink. Everything can hardly be viewed. Did check the vga cable.

This evening turn my pc back on and all is ok. Then it revert back to the problem.

Can anyone tell what is the problem or had any experience like this.

Is this a warning that my monitor will die soon.

Some say that my 2.1 speaker is too close to the monitor. If so haw far away should it be.

2. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Sounds like a warning to me.

3. torroray

4. Dr. Awesome

Dr. Awesome I go to 11

There, fixed

Also, everything appears normal to us, it must be the screen rather than your actual PC

5. torroray

Thanks Doc.

So the Crt gone BAD?

6. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

This happened to my dad's CRT a couple of months back. A couple of dry joints just needed resoldering, but if you don't know what that involves, it means you need to buy a new monitor.

7. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

Does the picture change if you wiggle the VGA cable around? Is the VGA cable detachable? If so, try using another VGA cable.

It could be anything from a bad cable to something inside the CRT which went pop.

8. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Had this on a screen once and yeah it was fubared.

9. torroray

Yes did wiggle the vga cable.

Guess this is bad news from what you guys experienced.

The CRT never give me problems before. Been good gaming with it. No dead pixel, ghosting, viewing angle. I dont want to go down the TFT monitor path.

IPS panels are expensive.

10. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Ooh, on second thoughts, what graphics card are you using? Is the VGA connector on a ribbon cable rather than directly on the PCB? I fixed a computer which was giving an intermittent display by cleaning and reseating the ribbon cable connector which connected the VGA connector to the graphics card.

11. torroray

12. torroray

Just turned on my pc the screen is fine.

After a few minutes when I try to type this the screen turns back to the original problem.

13. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

My good man, I was EXACTLY in the same situation. I had a different problem, the image on my CRT was getting squished on one side and stretch the other. I knew it was coming to one point that my CRT would die on me. So I was doing extensive research on LCD technology, one day my monitor actually broke (image was squished on one side and stretch the other, and flickering (despite being at 85Hz)) Repairing it was not worth it, and the anti-glare coating was finished from all the sun light it got hit. So, with the help of my research, I cashed out 500$ Canadian (on special) for a LCD IPS panel, high-end (but under real professional grade which costs a few kidneys and future child), the Dell U2410. What I like about OEM's like Dell or HP, is that the monitors are really other brands like LG, Sony, and so one, which for the same model, just to have the real name shown can cost about double the price, and sometimes more. Anyway, I LOVE my monitor (and it's not buyers remorse, my 17inch CRT cost me 450$ Canadian back in 2003). Very low backlit bleeding (see it none, unless I put brightness level to max), beautiful colors under Adobe RGB and sRGB, PiP, loads of connections, fully adjustable, and everything very sharp. Great for gaming too (in my opinion).

And from that point I decided to help others with: My Monitor Comparison Table (TM) (R) (C) (TM), which include the latest and greatest monitors who are not only well reviewed, but highly recommended on this very forum, PLUS you have a panel technology comparison (up's and down's), PLUS explain some uncommon features.

Check it out:

I hope this helps out on the day you will change your monitor.

Please note that I am not saying your monitor is broken!

14. GoodBytes

ok try this:
    - Get the latest ATI Drivers from ATi website.
    - Uninstall the current ones
    - Restart your computer
    - Install the drivers back

Now try.

If the problem still persist, try the monitor on a different computer, or try a different monitor on your computer, to see whether or not the CRT monitor is broken or not.

If you notice that the problem still persist on a different monitor, or that the monitor works great on a different computer. Then it could be the ATi Card that is broken. You should contain the manufacture of the card, and request a RMA to have your graphic card replaced under the warranty. They might provide you with steps to do to ensure that the problem is really the graphic card. I suggest to follow them, as maybe we missed something.

15. torroray

Hi GoodBytes,

Are you living in a tropical paradise?

I guess I have limited option. Theres no more CRT being produced so LCD is the next step.

I didnt want to upgrade to LCD because TN panel performance is not the same as CRT. IPS is pricey but I guess from reading you post you're really satisfy with it.

I'm dragging on and on maybe because my CRT good service over the years.

16. torroray

Hi GoodBytes,

Just install new drivers but didnt fix the problem.

Guess time to head over to Dell site.

Hey GoodBytes, would you say looking at U2410 like staring at a supermodel?

17. GoodBytes

Well the past week was like this, but no I live in Canada, Quebec... so no.. it's cold and annoying in winter, and we generally have descent summers.

My monitor was always next to a window wihch the blinds almost always open.

Correct. It's all over.

As a CRT fanatic, I found TN panel being vomit, in image quality.

Yes they are pricey, the good ones especially, but stay at the look out. You have nice specials sometimes. For instance, when the Dell U2410 was out, it was 750$ Canadian (Canadian currency is one hair close from the U.S) normal price (now 700$), but it sometime comes down to 500$, and this is when I got mine.

When I got my LCD, despite being high-end, as the only monitors are the TN panels at local Bets Buys stores, or friends monitors (TN), or laptop (also TN), I did not know what to really expect. I was thinking of keeping my CRT next to my new 24inch LCD. But when I got it, my CRT went to the storage room. I am not saying that the LCD monitor I got is teh same as my CRT... of course not, but it's strength compensated it's weakness which, in my opinion, wasn't bothering me (ie: black are not true perfect pitch black like the CRT's, due to the backlit.. but at least it doesn't have backlit bleeding visible under dark color, nor alter colors (something common with TN panels))

LCD do have advantages over CRT.. the text is always sharp and easy to read (assuming you have a good monitor attached to DVI, or HDMI or Display Port) and over time the image won't shift or anything like that. Long term problem of an LCD, is that the lamp will degrade over time slowly which will shift a bit the color accuracy, and reduce brightness (but you can increase brightness and adjust the color to compensate... this process is excessively slow... might 4-5 years before it's noticeable.. something similar to CRT's.)

Of course! I know how you feel.
    To say the truth, a good CRT 17inch was 400-450$ Canandian back in 2004, assuming you get one at 500-600 or even 700$ it's actually a great price. If we follow Canandian priced and assume to just look at the U2410, the monitor is 24inch, and 1920x1200, this is a lot bigger than my CRT, also the fully adjustable and looks nicer (which the CRT doesn't and can't), moreover, you have like any connector you can possibly want from a screen.. all it's missing is a TV tuner, frankly. While a CRT is VGA only.

If you aim at a color calibrated monitor like the Dell U2410, just a fact, when I got it out of the box, the colors where ugly... the settings were set to Store Shelf Settings, like I like to call it.
    Looking at the calibration report paper closely, the calibration is on Adobe RGB and sRGB colro profile. I switch color profile mode to them, and boom! beautiful colors. At first I was kinda skeptical, as I got used to my degraded color CRT. But after looking at real life and picture I took with a descent digital camera, I noticed that the colors were actually correct. After a month of usage, looking at anything other than IPS calibrated panels monitors, they look wrong (well actually I have a friend in computation art, he has this professional grade CRT monitor which he barely ever used for some odd reason... and with a side by side comparison, the monitor I got was very close in colors, something that is not visible unless you do a real side by side comparison and look very carefully on some colors, and I am a picky person.

Just a note: I know I talk about a lot of the U2410... don't think it's the only choice... this is just the monitor that I have. I can't really comment on the other ones as I never really saw them in person and really sit down and use them, to really say.

Oh well, try a different monitor, or try the monitor on a different computer. If you have a friend with a laptop, ask him to come. Every monitor has a VGA port.
    I don't want you to buy a new expensive monitor and it ends up being the video card the problem (broken circuit board or broken plug).

Don't expect a perfect screen. It has issues compared to CRT's
    1- non-uniform backlit (normal for a great majority of LCD, unless you are ready to spend over 1.5k$ US for a 22inch, or something like that)
    2- RGB LED with a great large quantity of them, where each cover a small group of pixel is the best backlit solution which will give you a closer feel to a CRT, but sadly those are uber expensive... this monitor uses a CFL lamp... which is better than white LED's, due that they use a high end CFL lamp, and not some crappy low end ones.
    3- backlit bleeding is not true 0 due to the lamp on the back of the LCD (nothing you can do about it, but all the monitor with IPS panels on the comparison chart I made, does all a very good job up to a great one).
    4- non-native resolution is not sharp.. (nothing you can do)

A good OLED screen should theoretically solve problem 1 to 3. But sadly, OLED is expensive and the technology is not there yet (low resolution, low light... ideal for phone and MP3 players, but not so much for computer monitors)

But, the upside is that it's bigger, very sharp, fully adjustable, easy menu navigation, bunch of connection (my monitor), pass from portrait to landscape mode, new monitors means colors are accurate and not faded out due to normal wear and tear, no flickering (I know CRT's don't have visible flicker when at 85Hz+, but they do over time). Oh and has the ability to play HD videos. So as you can see it really compensates.

Ah yes, I do play all sort of games and I see no ghosting and no input lag. I not saying there is none, I am saying that it doesn't affect me. And no, even on fast motion video's, there is no color blend that is visible.

18. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

i guess the other option, if you're feeling brave(ish) would be to take the back off of the monitor & look for the (normally) 3 or 4 adjustment (possibly posi-drive screw) knobs - they should be kind of obvious as service engineers would need to access them.

Yeah, it 'may' be that, by adjusting one or other of them, you can correct the fault.

Just be mindful of what you touch/where you stick the screwdriver as, whilst buying a replacement monitor isn't ideal, it's not worth electrocuting yourself - having said that, taking a bit of care & it's something i've happily done myself in the dim & distant (though to correct a different issue).

19. torroray

Hi GoodBytes,

Took you that much time to get accustomed to the monitor.

Thanks for the insights and experience. Makes sense that if you want to splash the cash make sure it worth every bit.

I sure no one want to make the mistake going down the TN panel path and have to buy an IPS later.

But the decision is personal and everybody is different and have different needs and those who bought a TN monitor I do not wish to offend them here.

Its a personal choice and I choose the IPS to replace my dying CRT.

20. torroray

Hi PocketDemon,

I'm not that brave.