1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pope's visit to UK to cost taxpayer £10-12million!!

Discussion in 'Serious' started by stuartpb, 5 Jul 2010.

1. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

sounds like iran in 2010

mario has a point about private schools.. here at public school some of the kids have a hard time because of no support at home.. the private schools of course have it better

2. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Hence why I will never be a politician and don't trust them. Oh well life must go on

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Actually Iran is relatively civilised. Try Afghanistan.

Last edited: 11 Jul 2010
  4. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Am I just overreacting? I don't think I am but maybe that's the problem, I don't think I am capable of looking on this topic from a neutral point of view so I think this will be my last post on the subject. Perhaps I just value religion a lot more than anyone else and as such any dig/jibe/negative comment against my religion feels like a direct attack on me. I hope that my comments haven't pissed anyone off too much but to be perfectly honest I would do it all again, I will defend the Catholic faith until my heart stops beating.

I will defend the faith but I will not defend some of the Catholic Churches decisions. You all know what ones i mean, some things are just undefendable. (Is undefendable even a word?)

Anyway........................Catholics rule and poofs drool ;)

5. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Yes

And therein lies the issue. It seems you are of the view that Catholicism is correct and nothing will sway that. I may be wrong in that assessment but if I am correct then that's a very blinkered view to hold about anything imo.

6. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Man, if I bitched and moaned this much every time I had to see a 'n*gger' post in the demote thread, I probably would have warn out several keyboards by now!

Honestly, if you're that sensitive towards criticism of your personal beliefs - maybe it's best to keep well away from religious threads all together? The (sad) fact of the matter is, you cannot expect people to be respectful of anything on the internet - anonymity has the strange effect of bringing out the worst in most people.

Now, go grab some KY Jelly and get back to Sunday service, the vicar priest is awaiting his special alter boy! :D

Last edited: 11 Jul 2010
  7. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

[​IMG]

Vicars aren't catholic ;)

8. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Haven't you heard? Us athists are ignorant and immoral. Pray for my soul! :p

9. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Don't think criticism has to be disrespectful but if you want to believe in what are essentially fairytales which have no tangible evidence to support their validity then you need to expect that people will point out flaws and failings in those beliefs.

10. onemaddude

onemaddude Minimodder

Has anyone else noticed that the cost has gone up to at least 20 million for four days
    Thats 5 million a day!

11. Boogle

Boogle What's a Dremel?

Or 1,000 people in a job on £20k for a whole year.

12. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

I just can't think where all the money is actually going to. How do you spend £5,000,000 a day?

13. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

HOLY crap looking at it that way makes look even more disgusting

14. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

I should imagine quite easily when you take into account the amount of flunkies the money will be paying off, as well as the lavish dinner receptions, accomodation costs, outside contractor work for catering etc. Then there are the more serious costs, such as transport and safety planning, normal & overtime payments for staff etc. No doubt the civil servants, such as MP's & senior civil service employees, involved in the event will be claiming expenses for the privilege of meeting the pope. There will be a myriad of other perks for those in the loop that need paying off with the visits ever expanding budget too!:wallbash:

I can understand the security costs of the event running into millions. I would even be able to swallow having to pay the majority of it as a taxpayer. But the non-policing costs are just astronomical, and there seems to be a massive dose of hypocrisy from our new government. We should suffer public service cuts, but we will show the pope a gret time here in good old blighty, yaay way to go!!!

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I think you are being naive if you expect people to sensitively skirt around a subject just because you happen to feel strongly about it. Everybody values their own beliefs more than anyone else's.

[SMARTASS]And it is "indefensible".[/SMARTASS]

16. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Teelzebub likes this.
  17. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

:lol: + rep

18. Mr Mario

Mr Mario What's a Dremel?

That is crazy, I never understand why policing big events costs so much money. Surly he doesn't need that much protection; effective firearms are pretty rare in this country, and I'm sure the small protests planned aren't going to be to hard to deal with.

19. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

So much money on protection for a man that dont believe in protection ( condoms ) :D

20. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Has anyone seen an itemized tab? I don't think it's £20 million for a some police officers and a few meals. The way I read the article posted recently on the BBC web page, the £12 million figure was for the whole visit, including the 3 large outdoor masses the Pope will give. If anyone here works in the entertainment industry and can provide some insight into the cost for these types of events, it might shed some light on the final tally.

Last edited: 13 Jul 2010