1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 768MB and 1GB Graphics Card Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 12 Jul 2010.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

3. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Will this be an upgrade option for someone with a GTX275?

4. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

There was a 8800GTX with a 320 and 640MB framebuffer?

Surely you mean the 8800GTS.

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Probably not, you'll get at most a few FPS, it really isn't worth it unless you really want the DX11.

At last, finally we have GTX285 performance @ $200.

Last edited: 12 Jul 2010
  6. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

I hate to say it, but MSI's stock-speed 768MB card is only £157. For a saving around 22% (£43 in real terms), is it worth a couple of frames per second against the 1GB card? From the results, there are no situations where the 1GB card provides a playable framerate and the 768MB card doesn't. And this is at high-end resolutions (1920x1200 and 2560x1600), which the majority of mid-range gamers won't be playing at!

The only game neither card can play at 1680x1050 is Crysis, at Very High, in DX10 mode. Considering none of the cards shown here could do such a thing, perhaps it would be worthwhile dropping Crysis down to High settings when a mid-range card is on test? I know it's not great to have a game in a testing suite that isn't being played in all its glory (ie as the developers intended it to be played), but people wanting to invest in hardware should be told what a game CAN play, as opposed to what it can't.

7. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

glad to see this. need some good competition to bring prices down.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Threads merged, sorry Wil I should have done this in the first place :duh:

9. HyBry

HyBry What's a Dremel?

looks like Nvidia is finally returning to the game they way it should. Bringing out a solid product, that is worth the price and is not refurbished old tech.

Most importatly I would say is that they managed all this with solid termals and power consuption. They have been doing a lousy job on this recently, so I am glad to see them improving.

10. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

The GTX460 1GB certainly looks promising in most departments. I'd still like a bit more info on the noise characteristics, though, or at least some info on which card is/was the most quiet.

By the way, how was the GTX460 768MB tested, if apparently only 1GB versions were available for test?

11. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

hmm clicked the stalker bench first thing then went to crysis.. not bad for the money- wonder why stalker is so ati friendly

the min fps on the 5850 beats the max fps on the 460.. only 207 shipped on newegg

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

£157 is a great price - get it! - but you want to check if the stock card can be over-volted with the Afterburner software for uber OC first imo. Of course, stock volts will get you ~700-725ish, maybe more with a good core iirc, but having the option of a little bump is nice. The guys in the office who reviewed it will be able to tell you more when they get to work. I've not actually used a 460 yet, I've only chatted to a few people about them here in TW.

If you play at 1680x1050, the 768MB is enough, however most people won't "downgrade" if they already own a 1GB card. The same is true for CPU cores: you own a quad now, your next will be at least a quad too. Also, 1920x1080/1200 monitors are very affordable now and range from a normal 22in upwards - it's not unreasonable to think this covers "mid-range". I personally wouldn't even call the 460 "mid-range" either. £150-200 is more lower high-end, whereas £100-£150 is more midrange and below that is mainstream. While it's the right price for our audience, this is still not a card most "gamers" will buy either - they will be waiting for the GTS 450-whatever and below.

Finally, Crysis is a THREE YEAR OLD GAME. Most if not all people have already played it on Medium to High, so the ONLY point of revisiting is if it can handle Very High. Tbh, if a new card three years on can't handle very high, after how many generations of cards? Then it's not cutting it as an investment in future games.

13. MaverickWill

Didn't help that the reviews used the same graphs, same intros, more or less the same text... ;)

I still stand by my point, though. At £157, that MSI card is a STEAL. At the £180-£200 price margin, it's a bit of a meh moment. Undercutting nVidia by a fairly significant margin is just the latest in a long line of moves - good AMD motherboards across all price points, Lucid Hydra (despite its practical difficulties, it's still an ingenious piece of kit), software core unlocks on 890-series MBs, the Linux Laptop Orchestra - that make me go "Woohoo, MSI! You've restored competition AND fun to tech!"

EDIT:

Only the creme of the creme can play Crysis at max settings, even now. It has become the gauntlet synonymous with a never-ending cascade of prefixes along the lines of "Can it play..."! If you're stepping down from that upper echelon of GPUs, surely a little side-test of the card on test at High could at least give people an idea of what the card IS capable of. I can see it now...

"NB: The cards here were all a bit cack. We got a playable frame rate out of the 460 at 1920x1200 if you drop the details down to high and 2xAA, though it's a bit sketchy. You might need to tweak, but it'll still be pretty good!"

Last edited: 12 Jul 2010
  14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I'll be strapping two 460s into an MSI 870-Hydra next month :thumb: And if the guys don't have time in the office I'll do a 460 SLI vs 5770 CF vs 5870 single in the future too.

(sorry I edited my post above about 10 times after I posted it :blush: )

15. thehippoz

any word on the oc bindi.. if it's running that cool, and maybe a voltage tweak- might be able to see some good clocks

16. MaverickWill

NOW you're talking! A real shootout! I likes this! :thumb:

17. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Well done nVidia. The graphics market has badly needed a shakeup for a long time. If you really can get a 460 for £157, then SLI is looking tempting as Fermi scales excellently with multiple GPUs. Now what I really want is a similar refresh for the 480 GTX so I can replace my 260 GTX setup :)

18. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

I'm wondering the same thing...keep an eye out on Guru3d as they tend to test far more cards and far more games with each review. There's bound to be a GTX 285 to compare it to. If it can beat a 285 in the DX10 games it might be worth a go.

I'm sure they'll also test it in SLI...which could be interesting...

19. MaverickWill

Just taken a quick peek on Ebuyer - their cheapest 5870 is £314. So, at exactly the price of the cheapest 460s in SLI, this definitely IS a comparison we need, alongside 5770/5830 CF pairs (as it stands on there, cheapest 5770 pair is £244, and cheapest 5830 pair is £360).

The "which side of £300 should you put your GPU money towards?" article has a nice ring to it!

20. thehippoz

yeah this card is looking to be what most were waiting for in the green camp.. I can see this being very popular =]

they got 845/1690 shader on another site.. pretty decent from 675/1350

I dunno though the 5830 is close to a gig on the stock cooler.. these are the cards you can clock the sh out of usually- not as much heat and shader to deal with

Tags: Add Tags