1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quadro 1400FX

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by enigmo, 9 Jul 2010.

1. enigmo

enigmo Kettleboiler Extraordinaire

In my quest to pressgang shonky old cards into folding service, I've come across an nVidia QuadroFX 1400. I know it's a CAD card, but anyone have any idea if it might make a resonable folder? Can't seem to find much about it around other than it not being good for games.

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

It appears to be a GeForce 6800 so it wouldn't fold.

3. enigmo

Ta. Back to the bin it goes...

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

It's worth keeping, especially for i7 cpu folding when you just need a display to install it

5. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Is it not worth just using fold-enabled graphics cards and running them with the GPU client on the system?

6. saspro

saspro IT monkey

It's a ballache to setup GPU folding in Linux.
    If you go for Windows bigadv then you can add a client or two but more than a couple used to slow down folding just enough to cost bonus points.

7. Phalanx

Oh yeah, I didn't mean more than the single card. Just thinking to make the most of it :)

As for the OS, I did setup my first Linux-based folding rig on Friday afternoon, but I used Origami (Linux-based folding program) to run that. I'm not sure if it's SMP (it seems to be running two different work units, so I think it's running 1 WU per core on a E5504).

Can't say I like it tbh, but that's just me. Windows all the way ;)

8. enigmo

You mean purely for display duties and keep the other cards for dedicated folding?

9. Phalanx

No he means if you're setting up a -bigadv rig, you simply whack the card in to boot the machine and allow the SMP client to fold.

If you want to fold GPUs though mate, replace it. Personally, I'll be running my i7 rig on bigadvs with 1, perhaps 2 GPUs.

Thing is, with bigadv units, you don't want to run too many GPUs on the processor as it will pull away from the processing power for the SMP client, which bigadv's need because they are so close to deadlines :)

10. enigmo

Ah, gotcha. Thanks. I've not looked into the bigadv units too much due to a lack of higher-end spare hardware. Two spare Pentium Ds and two spare E6550s can't help either thanks to a general lack of dual socket s775 boards.