1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Monitor goes into standby on win7 login screen

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Blackmoon181, 13 Jul 2010.

1. Blackmoon181

Blackmoon181 Geography,Its not just colouring in

hi guys,

today after turning on my pc, reaching the login screen on windows7 the monitor goes into standby.

windows7 itself doesn't freeze as i'm able to hear the login noise after i type my password in.

Thinking it a driver problem i booted into safe mode (which went fine) and downloaded and

reinstalled the drivers for my 9800gx2. It didn't make any difference and the same sequence occurred

again. i went into safe mode and used a different set of drivers but it made no difference.

i am now totally stumped and think that the card has died a painful death! Any suggestions on what to do ??

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Go into safe mode, uninstall the drivers.
    Reboot machine, go back into safe mode.
    Download and run this: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=582
    Run it, clean the system up of all nVidia drivers (unless you're using nVidia motherboard).
    Set the resolution to 800x600.
    Reboot, this time DO NOT load safe mode. Let Windows pick up the graphics card. Once into windows, download the latest version and install.

Let us know how you get on mate.

3. Nicho133

Nicho133 What's a Dremel?

When the drivers are installed, try rebooting then in the advanced boot options menu (Where Safe Mode is) Try selecting Enable VGA Mode. If your monitor displays correctly in this mode go to your video driver settings and adjust to the proper settings for your monitor, then restart windows and boot normally.

4. Blackmoon181

thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

i have tried both methods in order to get it working but i haven't got anywhere. still having the
    same problem.

i am starting to think that there is no quick fix. Any more suggestions ??

5. Nicho133

If you have a spare monitor, try using that instead with the Nvidia drivers. If that works, cheak that the Resolution and Hz (Also known as Refresh Rate) are correct, it may be possible that your drivers are setting the Hz to a higher number your monitor can handle.

6. reggie50

reggie50 Minimodder

press F8 as the pc is booting up, select the restricted resolution option, then reset to a resolution that your monitor can display once in Windows.

Alternatively connect by DVI and it should automatically sort it.

7. Blackmoon181

thanks nicho, i've tried a spare monitor with a higher resolution and the problem has remained the same.

thanks reggie, i've pressed F8 and followed the method outlited and have used a DVI cable from the start. It doesn't seem to make a difference.

Is there any way to check if the card is dead ?

8. Nicho133

Did you also cheak the Hz (Refresh Rate) settings? What is it set to?

9. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

You could try another graphics card in the machine, or try the 9800GX2 in another machine.

10. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

It's because your monitor doesn't support the refresh rate or the resolution set in the display properties. In Safe Mode, delete the monitor (or Display) then reboot normally and it should redetect your monitor.