1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress BISMARCK Update 28/10/11

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Kojak, 2 Jul 2010.

1. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

Hey guys thought it's about time I show you my first and current mod as I've been feeling like the man in the tv license advert who peers through people's windows watching their telly by not giving any imput! I'm sorry for the poor picture quality but I'll be getting a better cam soon.

So here it is the 'Bismarck'! My target is to build a 2 loop water cooled audio production/ gaming pc that is quiet. I've taken the idea of how a motorbike use's exaust silencers to kill the noise from its motor and stop it sounding like a lawn mower. This will be done in the form of an extension on the top and bottom of the case where the cool air will be sucked in passing through a great deal of padding. All bays ripped out and just the hot swaps remain to make room for the res's and pumps and the psu moved to the front to make way for the tripple rad with the quad in the roof.

Reason behind the name

The Bismarck was Germany's largest and most powerful famous battleship of WWII. She struck fear into the British Royal Navy, however she was only in operation for eight days before being sunk by the British who sent every ship possible after her after leaving the port of Gdynia on her first and only mission to bring mayhem to the Atlantic to destroy as much allied shipping as possible.
    I'm not a WWII fanatic or anything but I've been fascinated by the story of the ship ever since I saw the film 'Sink the Bismarck' when I was a kid and how Churchill had to throw everything he had at his disposal to stop it from getting into the Atlantic and destroying everything in its path. It's very short life span and lethal power are for the reasoning of me naming my pc after it. When my build is complete, hopefully it'll be one of the most powerfull pc's around with all the latest components and so on. But that won't last and my power pc will very quickly become old and out of date as new tech replaces it. Like the battleship Bismarck of May 1941 my Bismarck will be a power house but for how long before it's sunk and replaced by new tech. In the mean time though it's mission will be to make mince meat out of every high spec game I throw at it and to serve as an audio production work horse too.

[​IMG]

Objective: To build an Audio / Gaming pc that is quiet.

Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D

Changes to case:

1. All drive bays removed to create space for the res's and pumps
    2. Psu moved to front of case to make way for the triple rad
    3. Roof cut out to allow quad rad to be fitted
    4. Cut out in lower tear for the triple rad
    5. Hot swap bay cooling modified with three fans to exaust the hot air out round the back of motherboard. With the plastic coverings being replaced by one steel cover
    6. Cut outs in the flooring of case to allow air to the triple rad and psu
    7. Support peice added in bottom of case to take the weight of hot swaps, triple rad and other cooling bits
    8. Side window enlarged with two 5mm sheets of clear acrylic to form a double glazed sound barrier
    9. Hole cut out side panel for the psu

Added to the case:

Two extensions filled with an arrangement of sound dampening materials, one on top, one on bottom for each rad which will hopefully act as silencers or at least absorb most of the noise from the fans. Case fans are usually attached to the outer casing with nothing to restrict the noise they make so I want to imbed them further into the case.

Sketchup pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Work in progress pics:

[​IMG]

Above: The top extension is one folded sheet of 2mm steel with ends stitch welded in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Above: Shelf for the pumps and res's sitting on top of hot swap bay(pre paint)

[​IMG]

Above: Lower tear and bottom cut outs of triple rad and psu.

[​IMG]

Above: I just had to solder the wires of the fans together, 17 x 120 fans in total- too much wiring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone has any questions on how I'm doing things or can give me some advise- I'm not too sure if there are any known problems caused by soldering the fans together, I've got 8 fans leading into 1 wire on the quad rad and 6 in the triple, then please give me a shout! I'll be adding some new pics soon of it with with the bottom extension added and a bit of painting done, then it'll be ready for the pumps and tubing. Hopfully by then though I'll have a new cam for better pic's.

Last edited: 28 Oct 2011
  2. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Tearing up an 800D. Wicked.

3. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

thats an impressive twist to say the least

4. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

Somebody isn't kidding with cooling. But could you explain more your air silencer please, I don't uderstand how they work.

5. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I like the added top piece!

Goooooood stuff :)

6. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Love the extreme on this build! One tip. When you shoot indoors with limited lighting use the fluorescent setting and your ISO to 100, even if your camera its not so good play with the settings. My camera is old too but if you mess with the settings a little you might get better results :) Mod on!

7. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

[​IMG]

Hope this pic helps explain it a little more clearly. The extension has deviders with holes to allow the air to pass through that help break up and absorb the sound from the fans. added with rockwool and foam padding with a big spiked area at the back end to absorb the sound waves further more. This probably won't be the final arrangement as its likely I'll have to do some testing to find the most effective placing of the deviders and padding materials:).

Last edited: 30 Aug 2010
  8. Marcos_Viegas

Marcos_Viegas Minimodder

Great case, very nice work!!!

9. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

Nice idea with the air silencer, considering the number of fan you are willing to put it will be useful.

10. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

Thanks Fabou, you got it in one!

11. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

Cheers mate, I'll have a play around with the settings, your advise might help me limp on with my crap cam until I get a better one lol!

12. Anubus

Anubus Minimodder

I like that someone isn't afraid to tear up and mod a 800D.

13. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

Lol it was hard at first, specially when I first got the dremel out but you have to accept if you've bought an 800D that is, that you payed over £200 for something that is flawed. It just doesn't work, it suffers from extreme asthma. The only thing I've kept in the case is the hot swaps which are really good!

14. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

Thanks I appreciate it!

Last edited: 6 Jul 2010
  15. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

Added bits & pieces

Hey guys I've done some more to my case mod so here's a few pics. There's a couple of things that i'm not happy with that I'm gonna change, for example the paint finish on the 'hot swap exaust cover,' believe it not thats supposed to be matt black and for some reason the final coat came out all glossy. I'm pretty sure I'm going to cut out the air intake slots in to just one opening on the top & bottom extension peices and in its place sreen the openings over with dust filters of some kind . See what you think, oh and I could do with some ideas as to what I could put in the great big gaping hole on the front of the case where the bay covers used to be because I'm lost for ideas, all I can think of is a design of some kind to cover it over or a 7 inch screen maybe, So if you can think off anything I would love to hear your ideas!

[​IMG]

Both the top & bottom extensions have yet to be filled with the sound dampening materials, I'm going to leave that last after its all up and running so I can test different arrangements to find which is most effective at killing the noise from the fans.

[​IMG]

Still need to finish painting that gold xspc logo on the rad (need a really fine brush).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EK D5 dual top for 2 loops and the EK Res 150's. The shelf that the dual top sits on and the side peice of the hot swap exaust still need screwing together which is why you can see a little gap all the way around where the two meet. I've sprayed the fan covers black and the Silent Eagle fan on the exaust cover too.

That's it for now, take it easy guy's :D

Last edited: 30 Aug 2010
  16. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

The epic scale of this Mod is brilliant I do like seeing integrated metal work, case add on’s and additions and stealth mods to hard drive bays etc, water cooling and now I've added sound deadening .. to my list of like to see’s
    Your next Project could be Graf Spree (pocket battleship) same as your Bismarck yet smaller 

17. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

This is going to be epic just the rads in the case tell me this is going to be something special

i like the top and base add ons aswell!

18. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

I love this mod! Looks very clean and also overkill, the way I like it!!!

19. skullen

skullen Minimodder

Looking good Kojak,very nice :thumb:

20. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

Cheers pal, naming my next build Graf Spee that would be building a fleet right? :lol:

Cheers m8, nice one!

Cheers AnG3L, I luuurve overkill!!! :lol:

Nice one skullen!