1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pope's visit to UK to cost taxpayer £10-12million!!

Discussion in 'Serious' started by stuartpb, 5 Jul 2010.

1. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Rofl lol

2. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

The £10-12m (or now £20m it seems) is NOT inclusive of policing costs, as has been pointed out numerous times within this thread. The estimate given in this thread is for non-policing/ security costs only.

I have read several articles, and I did point out some of the costs, albeit in a sarcastic tone.

There are major planning/implementation costs for the transport networks for the duration of the visit, with an influx of visitors/ travellers.

Public safety is another large part of the budget.

There are wages to pay for increased number of man hours to facilitate the visit across several government departments, also overtime payments are going to play a large part of this too.

Logistical costs are very expensive, for any event like this.

Then there are the expenses of the various official dignitaries etc. which will all be paid by the taxpayer.

I could go on and on. Organising events like this isn't just a case of laying on a few sandwiches and blowing up a few balloons. There are going to be hundreds, if not thousands, of people working on this event, and they all need paying. Then there are going to be people wanting to see the pope, who all need to get there safely and on time. The event locations have to be organised, so that the event is safe, and gives people the opportunity to see the pope. Once projects like this hit the drawing board, the budget can easily run into the millions, especially when it's a government playing with someone else's money.

3. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

4. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

At last, some sensible reporting...

5. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

I personally think the money should be spent for the good of all the bit tech folding team members to buy them intel 980x cpu's and the best folding gpu's each as well as good water cooling loops,much more useful than a visit from that person for want of better words. nice post btw cjm

6. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

This is good. I have prayed to God for a long time, asking for people that use the wrong cutlery to be banished to Hell (or Hull or Lancashire) for their misdeeds. I think God has finally seen sense and is acceding to my prayers.

Now if only I could convince Him of my world domination plans...

7. G0UDG

Im sorry sp4 I beat you too it the worlds Mine I tell you Mine you cant have it lol

8. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

9. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

That's a disgrace its the pope that should be resigning, It just show's it goes right to the top.

It make me wonder what he get's upto??

Last edited: 13 Aug 2010
  10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

f**k that, i have to pay to get on a plane and visit other countries, tell him to pay his own way.

And why is the church, probably the wealthiest organisation on the planet still going round with cap in hand!

11. foxpoo

foxpoo Thumb it in

complete waste of money

12. Teelzebub

I dont think it's his cap he has in his hand??:worried:

13. G0UDG

at his age cant he get a bus,train and plane pass would be much cheaper:D

Teelzebub likes this.
  14. RichardShah

RichardShah What's a Dremel?

Hmm.. I'm a Catholic but the points made here (from what a read in the first few posts) are absolutely right. The way it's seen is that it's "our priviledge" for him to come here, and we're paying to have him here for "our enjoyment" rather than the other way around. And because it's "our priviledge", it's "our right" to protect him.

Really it's all a load of politicall bs. We can't have a Catholic prime minister or monarchy, and yet this supposedly Church of England country is paying £10+ million for the head of the Catholic church to come over. Meanwhile, our new prime minister is on about aggressive budget cuts, when really the money is being moved into this "treat" for our Church of England and rapidly increasing mixed religious country.

I like the idea of the pope coming myself, but I definitely agree when I say no, our government shouldn't be paying for it. I mean the position of the pope himself is to spread the word of Christ and the bible blah blah blah and that's his job, so it doesn't make sense for other people to be paying for his expenses.

15. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

*cough*
    Why doesn't he buy the 140million pound flat in london with the taxpayers money too?

16. Teelzebub

Cant God just give him wings :rolleyes:

17. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Nope. He has to evolve them, just like every other organism throughout the history of the universe.

18. Teelzebub

Well thats him buggered then, OH no that was the choir boys wasn't it :nono:

19. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

the glass bubble cannot fail

20. Nomad2k3

Nomad2k3 What's a Dremel?

Why does he need gaurd's and the police to watch over him? Surely God has his back there, least that's what he spouts to everyone else.

And tbh 20 mill for a visit? he staying at the ritz and eating Beluga caviar on diamond encrusted toast for his breakfasts or what.