1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Asus shows off dual Nvidia Fermi card

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 16 Jul 2010.

1. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

i doubt watercooling would be that easy, even if I had mad enough money to buy and shoulder everything for this card i would doubt id buy it, to show off?, heck i would just buy a ferrari or something

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

The cheapest GTX 480 is $100 more than the cheapest 5870 I can find, performance is within 5% of each other in almost every case, it's noisier and hotter.

Yes, it does CUDA and has PhysX, so the GTX 480 isn't a bad card, it just makes no sense to most people to buy one.

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I'll admit, the GTX480 isn't the greatest for the money, but in SLI it's a bit of a different story, the GTX480 in SLI is just...well phenomenal.

If you watercool of course.

4. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

GTX480, 470, 465 are a waste of time. NV needs to enable all the shaders on GF104 and then boost the clocks up but I am guessing they probably have a similar product on the way. It's a huge middle finger to early adopters but GF104 makes far more sense in the Geforce range. Leave the full Fermi with ECC and DP support for the Tesla market.

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Enabling all the shaders on the GF104 would only result in a 384, that's still a ways from 480.

6. bladesavage

bladesavage What's a Dremel?

Nuclear power plant sold separately...

7. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

If you are a surround user (or are thinking about it) the GTX480 and GTX470 cards are far from a waste of time.

Both the GTX480 and GTX470 scale better than the HD5870 when running in multi GPU scenarios (former card especially so). The extra memory could also be useful when running 5760x1080 and beyond.

I agree though the GTX465 was and is a complete dog. The only sacing grace it had was ATI also launched a dog in the shape of the HD5830.

8. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

It's just amazing the power circuitry on that board covers at least half of it,

9. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Where does it say that it's going to be 7 slots? All the pictures I've seen show a one-board GPU.

Yes, this will probably end up as a premium board, like the Ares (which comes in an attache case LOL) but it's still a fun idea.

10. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Would be safer coming with a full cover water block IMO. It certainly will be interesting to see how it performs. ASUS do some pretty insane cards but with insane prices to match, i can't see this being any different.

11. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

I'd say that it should come with a waterblock, but not for the reasons you think (2xGTX480 can be cooled if you throw enough time into it).

Other high end cards (such as the Ares, or even the Matrix 5870) are bloody fast but they have aircoolers which can get quite noisy. If you've got a large amount of money to spend on a premium product, you'd probably have a large amount to spend on cooling it as well. The problem is that Asus have obviously used custom PCBs, so noone makes waterblocks, thus making watercooling it hard and difficult.

For a card that costs that much, you'd want it to at least be coolable.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

You can only install 4 gpu per system 2 per card so 2 cards not 4 as that's 8 gpu

480 cheapest pre installed water cooled card is alot of money sadly

13. Teh C

Teh C Arg

If it follows the trend of Asus' republic of gamers cards then it will have a massive air cooler and big overclock while costing £1000.

For £1000 you could watercool two normal GTX480s, or even three HD5870s (albeit for a bit over £1000)

14. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suite, huh? I said 7 slots OF THESE. Meaning populating each of 7 slots with one of these cards - which would probably create an instant water boiler.

15. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

Ahrrrr baby I want one...

...just going down the shop now to buy my lottery ticket lol!!!

16. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

How would that be helpful in any way? You can only use up to 4 gpus in quad-SLI, which means two cards.

There's absolutely no point using any more than two of these cards (because they wouldn't be used), which would draw a maximum of around 1200W. I read your post exactly, I just don't see how you plan to fit 7 of these in a system when there will certainly be at least a 2 slot cooler and where you'll only be able to use two of the cards.

17. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

CUDA.

Secondly, if someone made you waterblocks for them, you could wedge these into single slots.

While a 14 GPU (and presumably 12 core) render farm is titillating to think of, the 4,000W it'd draw ain't.

18. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Or the £10k+ price tag?

It would be *SO MUCH* cheaper to simply use either more than one computer or just use pcie splitters and normal GTX480s.

I can't think of any possible consumer or prosumer uses for this, purely because it would be massively low value for money in comparison to the other options.

19. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

ATI has a better solution with Eyefinity unless you are talking of 3D as well.

True but what I am saying is that they could have refined GF100 as they did with GF104 to strip out the features not essential to drawing 3D graphics to produce a better graphics card. What they did instead was rush GTX 480 to market as they were way behind schedule anyway.

Yep but you can boost the clocks up a lot higher on GF104 as well, you can get performance greater than a GTX 470. I don't think it would be possible to challenge GTX 480 though with a GF104 chip.

20. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

nVidia uses market segmentation for the highest profits possible. IMO, the reason why the GTX460 is clocked so low at stock (they could have clocked it at least 75MHz higher imo) is that having it clocked higher would push the 460 closer to the more profitable 470.

Tags: Add Tags