1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Installing Windows with a USB Memory Stick

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trueno!, 20 Jul 2010.

1. trueno!

trueno! That's TRUE-N-NO if ure not sure!..

Hi all, I have been looking around for ways of installing windows from a USB stick and found a few sites to help... BUT, I haven't got a USB memory stick, so, I'm here asking for anyone who cud recommend me a good & fast dirt cheap one (which will definitely work for my use) that I can buy? It's recommended that minimum is 2GB, so, recommendations shud be restricted to that size unless 4GB is affordable...

All the sites say that I must have a bootable type USB memory stick to be able to install windows from one... is that right or wrong? I thought all I needed was that my mobo supported bootable USB function?

Thanks for the helps (in advance) ^_^

Last edited: 20 Jul 2010
  2. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

any memory stick will do it, and a 4Gb one costs pennies now. ie. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159053 (and ebuyer is doing free shipping on any order atm)

if youre installing win7, i know its very easy using this. It should be the same for xp and vista too...

3. trueno!

trueno! That's TRUE-N-NO if ure not sure!..

Sorry I forgot to add in my original post the word "FAST" just between the words "good" & "dirt"... I have now editted the post...

Just wondering whether the recommended USB memory stick has fast read/write speeds? + thanks for the other link, I can add that to my set of websites to help me build a bootable usb windows install drive

4. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I cant really recommend a specific drive but when you've got one WintoFlash is the best piece of software ive used for creating a bootable usb stick.

5. Chimel

Chimel What's a Dremel?

Look up the user comments in newegg to find out the good brands and the dummies.
    Since you mentioned 2GB sticks, I assume you'll be installing Windows XP only.
    I'd recommend 8GB, so you can fit in most DVDs, be it software or movies, for easy transfers, and it's a better size to backup your documents too.
    Make sure to get a stick that supports ReadyBoost (most do), so you don't buy it just for this one time use, but can use it daily to improve Windows performance.

6. J05H11E

J05H11E Fujitsu Technical Analyst