1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project : Future Schlock by AnG3L (15/October Let the bench Saga begin!!)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by AnG3L, 9 Jun 2010.

?

Simple paint or aluminum engraving

Poll closed 4 Jul 2010.
  1. Simple powder coating

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Aluminum engraving with circle based designs and then powder coating

24 vote(s)
    72.7%
  1. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Yeah, I've finally got time to make my new scratch build and look at others :D

2. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thanks Oli my friend ;)

Oh really nice I will look at it, I am so curious of what you up to this time! :)

3. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

Just love the shapes n patterns cut into this case. Art Nouveau springs to mind! It's gonna look gorgeous m8! :thumb:

4. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Oh thank you my friend, these days I am working very hard on some of the "art" parts, I will have an update ready on Monday or Tuesday! Stay tuned! :)

5. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Here I am for one more update! As I promised there will be surprises and here I am with
    "arty" new techniques.
    But first of all lets see the creation of the case's feet.
    For that creation I used 3mm black acrylic in circles of 5 and 4.5 cm each.

[​IMG]

8mm threads ready!

[​IMG]

And the process of polishing. I created something to hold the circles on the drill and by using
    300, 500 and 1000 grit I achieved a very nice result. Also for the finish touch I used some polishing compound too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Later I measured the distance needed for the steel thread I was going to install.Cut them and filed the edges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before.........

[​IMG]

After!!!!!!

[​IMG]

After that, I assembled them by attaching one circle - added slow epoxy - added another circle and so on.

[​IMG]

For the bottom part of the feet I decided to use a matte sticker - no any special purpose, I guess aesthetic (non visible lol) reasons!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here they are finished!

[​IMG]

This is Part 1 of this update. Part 2 follows in a while.....

6. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Here is Part 2! This is one of the art parts of this mod!
    Here you will see the creation of the flag which involves 4 new techniques!
    Appliance of silver leaves, aging and 3d effect process and also fake matte anodize effect for acrylic!

First lets begin with the very time wasting process. It took me 6 whole days to finish it!
    Here is the creation of a special liquid which in my language is called gomalakka but I couldnt find the word in English. Here is its original form, It looks like fish skin!

[​IMG]

Here you can see the silver leaves I am going to use.

[​IMG]

In order to make gomalakka a liquid we will need pure alcohol and a lot of patience.....
    We need to put them together in a glass bottle (colored preferred) and shake them for 1 hour and in the meantime we need to change bottles to remove any small leftovers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The final liquid wouldnt be visible through that bottle in order to take some pictures, it has
    a browny color and a very sticky feeling. We use this in order to prepare the surface for the "mixtion" which is the glue for the silver.

[​IMG]

First some sanding to eliminate any scratches. I wont need to do some hard work because gomalakka has the effect to close any imperfections of the surface by a creating a crystal above it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Removed any dust and ready for gomalakka.

[​IMG]

By using a brush I apply that liquid. 1,5 hour....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I applied the mixtion which is the special glue for the silver. It becomes ready after 3 hours or more (some mixtions require 12 or 24 hours!) because it has to dry and become like a crystal, not sticky.

[​IMG]

And I begin to apply the silver with a special brush called "air" cause its very smooth for us not to scratch the leaves. Process : 1 hour

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In order to make the aging and 3d effect technique we need to repeat this process 3 times!!!!
    First we remove parts of the silver with a sharp object and also creating some patterns on it.
    Then we apply silver again! In the areas where the silver will be doubled, it will shine more and be more smooth. That way it gives a feeling of aging.

[​IMG]

After I applied silver again I come to remove any excess pieces of silver with the "air" brush again.

[​IMG]

Here you can see how it looks.... for now!

[​IMG]

Then I have to sand the surface to see more clearly any extra details I have to add or remove, because many of the silver is stacked on the primary surface of the flag.

[​IMG]

Again removed silver and also did some patterns!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also added some vitraux liner *third time in my mods* to give that 3d effect!

[​IMG]

Removed again the excess pieces of silver with a finer "air" brush and also polished the silver by using only cotton!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now for the final technique which I call the fake matte anodize cause the final look will be matte -not glossy- with small lines that I created with a sanding brick.

First we have to sand the surface with 500-1000-1500 and polish it.

[​IMG]

After that we wet sand with a 300 grit sanding brick with straight and quick moves but we apply almost no pressure. Then its ready for some clear coat mostly for the silver.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the final step is to repeat the last step! ;) This time though the process is slower and more carefull so the lines will be like - one matte- one semi gloss look like. This will give the feeling of the fake anodize.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is our final product!!!!

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading my thread guys, I hope you like it! More to come soon! Till then, Peace!!

A special thanks to my sponsors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

For the people that they didnt realize this is the flag on the front page of the book, its teared apart to show the fall of the US, so I had to give that feeling in my design too! Thanks

Waynio likes this.
  8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Nicely done case feet & ahhhh classic AnG3L awesomeness peeking through with the arty bits :), loving it bud :thumb::rock::clap:.

9. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

That looks utterly awsome mate! I have a feeling this mod is going to be a true pearl:D

10. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

words fail so:

:eeek::jawdrop::waah:

11. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

wow thats just brilliant!

I love the effect it gives!

12. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Really amazing workmanship! I love the detail!

13. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thanks man, well I was thinking about your last comment when I was working and I told my self, "now waynio will be happy"! :)

Thanks Pope the dope my friend ;)

LoL nice comment my islander friend! :thumb:

Thanks buddy glad you liked it! :D

Thanks Craig much appreciated! :thumb:

14. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

The flag looks phenomenal AnG3L!

I'm sorry I haven't commented on this mod. I've been following with great interest but neglected to speak up about your (as always) unique work.

I'll try and be more regular now :)

15. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

My friend is always a pleasure to have you here with me in this art journey! Thank you for your kind words my friend! Namaste

16. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

17. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

UN-BE-LIEV-ABLE. Nice post, Love the details. Thanks for sharing. Bravo. Kudos. Feet. Flag. Must read again! Taking your time makes the wine fine.

18. Baekkel

Baekkel Picky Picture Villian

GEEBUS!! that flag is so AWESOME!!
    It caught my eye so bad i strained my retina just observing the artistic gem it is!!
    (admitted, overdoing it a but, but tha praise is all well earned!)

19. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

very, very cool effect. I've never seen anything like it.

20. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Always pulling something novel out of the bag AnG3L ;) Great stuff, keep it coming.