1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice The Newbie's Guide to Computer Building - Version 1.1 - Updated 30 Mar 2010 - Pics!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JaredC01, 12 Feb 2010.

1. seanbean

seanbean Certa Cito

Thanks for all this - what an outstanding thread!

Do people have any particular recommendations as to good/reputable on-line component/part suppliers giving "value for money". I'm based in the UK.

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread.

2. joseph2000

joseph2000 What's a Dremel?

great guide!, I'm surprised its not in an article on this website or something, or maybe it is?

3. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

I've got a link for UK-based people at the top... Scan.co.uk is a good place, as well as ebuyer.com.

Not an article, but it is a sticky thread... It's enough for now. Maybe they'll eventually ask me to write an article on it? *wink wink* :thumb:

4. Rilott

Rilott What's a Dremel?

Excellent guide!!

Love the pictures, as soon as I get all my components together I'll be sure to revisit this page.

5. Bayaz

Bayaz What's a Dremel?

The Intel CPU push pins are terrible. When I was installing the i7 920 cpu I thought all the pins had clicked into place. I wouldn't have noticed that two pins didn't go through fully but for the pre-cut hole in the motherboard tray on the HAF 922 case for CPU cooler backplates. They should seriously rethink this method for the next generation CPUs.

6. trixla

trixla What's a Dremel?

great guide. I've just finished building my first pc and now i'm looking at what to do now i.e. what bios aspects i need to look out for/change, other tips etc. If it's already on here, please someone point me in the right direction. ta

7. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

Nice guide. I'm building my new system at present and there's one thing I would suggest where possible.

Keep your current outdated PC until your build is up and running! This won't apply if you don't have a PC but most people have old systems that just run too slow.

Why is this important? To download drivers, bios updates, manuals, etc. once you know what parts you are going to purchase. Copy these to a USB stick or DVD. Your new PC may not work at first without the latest up to date drivers. It's always good to have a backup plan!

8. SteveW-87

SteveW-87 I haz ur computer genitalia

Good guide there mate, looks like you spent a good deal of time on it.
    One thing i did notice was that you didn't include anything about washers when installing the motherboard? (please correct me if im wrong)

Very small detail but if my first experience of building a pc is anything to go by - making sure you put washers on the screw is essential. if you dont you run the risk of shorting the board as soon as you turn it on (like i did)

As i said, if it is in fact there then my apologies

9. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Washers on the screws? Never even heard of it... You mean for the motherboard? The motherboard has ground contacts on each of the screw holes to ground the board to the chassis last I knew.

10. SteveW-87

SteveW-87 I haz ur computer genitalia

From what ive seen, there has been a little bag included with the motherboards when they come out of the box. could it just be manufacturer specific then?

11. bogbrain

bogbrain What's a Dremel?

Great guide. Just the one question with regard to the hard drives /ssd's does it matter whether you connect them to a SATA2 or the GSATA2 connections?

12. songzila

songzila What's a Dremel?

very well constructed and awesome PC you have there mate.

13. Akuman

Akuman Waffles

Dear god 3 DVD drives! What on earth are you gonna do with all of em?

Great post, finally a great tutorial I can direct people to regarding pc building.

Perhaps putting in some sort of airflow diagram explaining why you put fans in the direction you put them in. I remember when I built my first pc, I had a bit of trouble in that area (intake fans at both the front and back of the case).

14. raheem

raheem What's a Dremel?

wow i am really liking this community,, cool guide

15. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Sorry for the delays guys, been on vacation!

Could very well be.

Either one will work. The GSATA2 connection supports hot-swap, though aside from that there's no real difference.

Thanks! :thumb: It's the 'old' machine now though. :D

Yes 3 DVD drives! Two of them are burners, which makes burning a 100 stack of CDs for a local band go twice as fast, and the third drive is a Kreon drive for making legal backups of my 360 games (won't get into that per the rules).

An airflow diagram wouldn't be bad, though drawing it out for my PC would only help the P182 owners.

Thanks. :thumb:

16. Spouse

Spouse Spouse

Hello Friendlys

Hello I have read right the way through this thread. Very helpfull. somequestion that I thought were stupid to start with were usefull. On a side note. Thank you for starting this thread JaredC01.

I wondered If someone could have a quick glance at my build plan and give me some quick feed back. Thats if any of you have time.

Kind Regaurds
    Spouse

Build Link Below.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=192645

17. sibster

sibster What's a Dremel?

Brill guide mate, some usefull tips for me inthis, i never used to route the cables round the back hence mine always looked like spagetti junction, will defo do that on my new build.

Thanks bud.

18. ubiquity

ubiquity What's a Dremel?

Excellent guide, been a few years since I built a pc; wish there had been such a good guide around at that time! I am thinking of building myself a new pc based on you Affordable All-Rounder guide from August 2010, which a friend pointed out to me. Truly exceptional value for money, with very impressive performance!

19. andip1967

andip1967 What's a Dremel?

Fantastic guide fella, one or two points I will be picking up on in my next build

20. Snaver

Snaver What is a dremel..

Excellent guide, thanks for this.