1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress *** PHINIX NANO TOWER *** --- MOTY 2011 nomination !!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by phinix, 9 Nov 2009.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Don't worry my man, will add them this weekend:)

2. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Hello there:)
    Quick update, cause I'm running out of time here - still need to reinstall my OS on new SSD.

On Saturday morning small package arrived from ChilledPC - Tom cut lots of small acrylic pieces for me - most of them will go on outside of the case. I laso ordered some Tensol 12 glue for acrylic - but I will tell about it later...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided to use two switches for internal lights and front panel. I'm using white led switches.
    Here's small pic of work done today:) Measuring, sketching, drilling and a looooooot of filing:)
    They will be attached on right side of the case, bottom part of the rear panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What I also did this weekend (not much I guess, but wanted to show it) is I cut to size round mesh for cover that I'm going to paint and install on rear radiator. Basically I've "stolen" the idea from one fo the fantastic mod cases of Bill from MNPCTECH :D It was easy cause I got this mesh from Bill, so I hope you don't mind taking your idea, Bill! :blush::D

Here's the radiator that I will be using - EK triple XT:

[​IMG]

...and here is the mesh cut to size and on the radiator...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It will be screwed with small M3 black cap head bolts.
    I don't have any idea yet how I'm going to paint this mesh, but I think it will be some kind of hex shape pattern.

That is it for now, I will add rest of the photos soon. I've been really busy lately, couldn't find a spare time for my little Tower:( I hope I will get some work on it in next couple fo days.
    Plan of finishing this case till end of August is fading away I guess:D

Last edited: 26 Jul 2010
  3. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

4. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

Damn you BitTech server, stop being busy and stuffs! :p

In other news; Awsum work, Phinix!

5. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thank you guys!:thumb:

I should receive Tensol 12 glue fro acrylic tomorrow, which I will use to glue those small acrylic pieces. As I showed before, there will be two "combs" on each side of the case, bottom part, and one bigger "comb" on top of the case, that will go aligned with top aluminium panel hole. I shall add sketchups showing that tonight as soon as I get my system running after reinstallation.

I've been also waiting for quick connectors from AquaTuning - I need them to continue work on internal parts, especially power chamber. I need to measure how deep they will go and then install last part of chamber top panel. I hope they will show up soon...

6. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Hmm, that res is the biggest thing in this build hahaha. I love the mesh idea.

7. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

HAHA:) Yes, this radiator is the biggest item in the build:) It is actually the size of the main structure - frame of the NanoTower is 400mm, where radiator is only about 2mm shorter.

8. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Here's how I'm planning to use those acrylic pieces.

This is the top comb, it will be mounted on long thin piece of acrylic on the rear edge of 10mm top acrylic panel.

[​IMG]

This is the rear view on all combs..

[​IMG]

..and here is side view, two combs on top and bottom, same other side.

[​IMG]

Those yellow acrylic plates under the combs will be actually black - decided to change them to black tinted acrylic, will make those "ribs" look more "floating":)

9. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

The acrylic accents make it look very sinister, I like it :D.

10. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thanks man! Yep, that was the plan, I want it to look a bit strange, acrylic shapes intrigue a bit:D
    Well, hopefully front panel will make a first "the WOW hit":)

11. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

UPDATE TIME! YAY! :D

OK, again, it is pretty small update. Basically what I did was I measured up and drilled holes for rivets in side panels. It was pretty hard, cause the holes had to be in exact same place on top cover nad main panel, so I spent few extra minutes to make sure holes are all align perfectly... To be honest I hate this kind of job cause there is no second chance, if you screw it up, you need to cut new panel...:eeek:
    But it all went well, I didn't have to re-drill any of the holes so they are all fine:)
    First I marked holes on top cover, then drilled them. After that I aligned covers on side panel and started making marks in the drilled holes...

Here it is, top covers landed on side panel... pen in my hand.. no breathing.. steady... point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one here is the side panel screw hole, one hole on each panel ended up half uncovered, so I will have to file a nice hole around it, hex shape hole, to match the theme. Rest of the holes are under covers, so I just drilled them through.

[​IMG]

Now, here's the QUESTION!
    I need to attach those covers to side panels with something.
    Which should I go with - black rivet, cap head screw or button head?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See, really nice holes drilled through both alu panels:D
    I'm really happy that all went well. It was around 200 drills made! Including cleaning with coutersunk drill bit of course:)
    I attached covers with small M3 screws for now to keep them together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All holes drilled and cleaned, second panel to be showed later!

Now, I should do some more work this week, if not, then weekend, so stay tuned!!!:rock:

Last edited: 2 Aug 2010
  12. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

Looking sharp!!

13. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

This is more than epic! Love that build so much! Mod on mate! ;)

14. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Button head bolts get my vote, especially in black.

15. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

I'm torn between the button and the rivets, tending more toward the rivets 'cause of their flatter profile.
    The screws don't suit the sharp, sleek look of the side panels.

16. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I vote black button heads.

You're going to have a hard time deciding, phinix! :D

17. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Great stuff on all accounts. Keep 'em comin'! :dremel:

18. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

I vote for button heads. Rivets tend to break up randomly. Sometimes a rivet shank gets lodged inside the rivet body and it rattles like a pie in a cupboard.

19. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Button head screws would look better, or at least in my mind

20. oliverw92

oliverw92 What's a Dremel?

Button head :)

Can i ask why you got Tensol 12 over Dichloromethane (otherwise known as liquid solvent cement)? I have only ever used Tensol where i need to bond large expanses of acrylic together, however it takes a while to dry. Dichloromethane, on the other hand, bonds within seconds and has a water-like consistency which means you can use capillary action to bond acrylic parts together - it looks like it would be perfect for those small parts.