1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays CRT Monitor

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by torroray, 10 Jul 2010.

1. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

Most parts of a CRT's internals are pretty safe. It's basically just the cathode tube (the back of the thing you look at) and directly connected parts you have to stay away from unless you enjoy flying across the room with scorched hands :) Things like the flyback don't hold a significant charge (usually).

That said, I prefer not to work on a CRT's internals ;)

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

O-Oh. Sorry! I mean't a week, not a month. :)

3. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Where's your sense of adventure & living on the edge torroray??? ;)

Yeah, providing you limit yourself to only sticking anything near the adjustment knobs when there's power to the monitor then it is actually completely safe...

...i just needed to try to make sure that, on the basis of my advice, you (or anyone else) didn't start blindly plunging every screwdriver they owned into every possible gap in their monitor's internal framework on the off-chance that it would have some positive effect.

4. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

Also a crucial piece of advice if you are ever going to work on a circuit which possibly still has a significant charge stored somewhere: use only one hand at any time. The reasoning being that if you use two hands there's a chance the current will travel through your heart between your arms, instead of moving towards the legs.

Oh, and use insulated tools :D

5. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

If you want another CRT, then have a look on ebay and get a decent secondhand one. They go for peanuts these days.

6. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

CRT monitors ARE EXCELLENT!! (The best you can get)

I hope your problem is easily fixed my friend!!

Check all cables,etc........... (Something sounds loose)

GOOD LUCK!!

7. torroray

torroray What's a Dremel?

Hi GoodButes,

Just got my U2410,

To my surprise the screen display problem faced by Pookeyhead.

What do I do?

Send it back?

After spending so much I expect this problem dont exist on 24" but for 27" above.

8. GoodBytes

You have 21 days with Dell to return the monitor if your not satisfied (Dell will pay the return shipping cost).
    Pokeyhead had specific needs for a monitor, as he is a real professional, and it's critical for him to get the best of the best (or near that), so I don't know what problem you are talking about. If you are talking about the colors, set the monitor to Adobe RGB color (Menu > Color Settings > Adobe RGB), the colors should be very good now. For the beeping sound, you go under "Other Settings" section in the menu , and you'll have the ability to disable it. If you are talking about heavy backlight bleeding, than this is not normal.

9. torroray

Hi Goodbytes,

Normal?

You mean this monitor suppose to glow.

I tried adjusting brightness and contrast to 30%. Its still there.

My background is black. No wallpaper. That is why I can see bleeding on the screen?

On another matter I was playing MW2 the part after EMP in Washington DC. I noticed when I played with the old CRT its very dark and with Dell monitor its like daytime. Strange feeling.

Last edited: 26 Jul 2010
  10. GoodBytes

Ah!

Yes the U2410 is a very bright screen. It's designed to be viewable to some level during day light when the sun hits it (like all 400 cd/m² brightness level screens). For me, as my monitor is on the side of my window, I actually have to put 100% brightness if I use my monitor at 8-9am (in summer). During the day, make that ~50% and at night 20%. I had the same effect with any LCD screen I tried frankly. The reason for this, is that the CRT "brightness" fades over time (cathodes becomes weaker), so the jump to a new screen makes this strange feeling. This weakening effect also makes colors pale, so going to a new screen provides a feel of too vivid colors, when in reality they are not, your just used to the old screen)

I do use a black background (log-in screen) under Win7. Compared to many under 1.5k monitor I tried and saw, this one has the least backlit bleeding. Of course, I did not try ALL the monitors, but a few to know. What pokey needed is one with 2 technology: Polarize screen, which allows very low backlit bleeding in any angle you look at the screen, and uniform backlit (among other things such as 12-bit panel (you need a special (select Quadro and FireGL GPU's) to be able to take advantage of this).

The glow is the backlit bleeding... this is a downside of ALL LCD panel, unless you are willing to buy one that cost more than twice or computer, or at best the same price. The only POTENTIAL candidate in resolving the issue is OLED screens, as when you put black, the pixel that produce black is simply turned off.. so you can't be more black than that (like a CRT). Plasma is nice, but light from the pixels next to it will illuminate the black ones at some level, so get this weird reverse-shadow-like view, which is fine for a TV as you are distant, but not for computer monitors. Of course, this is at a picky level, but if you want the same feel as a CRT, that's is a downside.

The U2410 is not supposed to glow that much as you describe. It's supposed to be minimal at 50% brightness and contrast at night. My guess, it's a manufacture error of the panel (LG). I would ask Dell to replace it (they'll ship you a new one, with a pre-paid return label to return the broken one (be sure to include EVERYTHING that came with it, including the calibration report sheet, else they may charge you). If your still unhappy, be sure to return the monitor back for a full refund. Be sure to do all this BEFORE the 21 day's from purchase runs out.

I hate seeing a product I like and truly enjoy and for some reason (common with big companies) that they make the monitor differently for a set of countries to cut cost to have competitive pricing. This falsify reviews that you read, and make people pissed off. :(
    I truly hope that your monitor is simply defective.

I as a CRT fan, and hater of backlit bleeding from LCD, and scared the ****, the day my CRT aged to a point that I had to replace it, to do the switch and continue to dream about that one time where I had a great display. All the LCD I had (4 of them, excluding the U2410), where used as second monitor with my CRT. I was using my CRT for everything, and the LCD just to have a bigger space as my CRT is only 17inch. When I got the U2410, sure it wasn't true 0 blacklit bleeding, but good enough to be not visible when playing a movie, altering colors, and enjoy dark colored themed games, to a point where I removed my CRT from the desk, and decided to keep it. This new monitor also provide enough up sides, for me, to out weight the downs (which frankly there is not much you can do.. for the price of one that diminishes the problem even more, with a simple 22inch, I can get 3x U2410, in Canada).

So anyway, I would exchange it (see with Dell how much time it takes, the return policy, and if the new monitor gets the 21 day restarted or not, and the best solution for you to return the second monitor without any charges, and keep the person you talk to name), and see from there.

Do you mind sharing a picture of your screen with the issue?
    Right now for me it's day-light, so I can't do it for you to compare.

11. torroray

Hi GoodBytes,

Since you put that way I guess I have to be satisfy with it cause all Lcd panel face the same backlit bleed.

Its not worth paying the price of one system for a good Lcd.

12. GoodBytes

ok, I'll still post a picture of my monitor at night, for you to compare.

13. GoodBytes

Ok here is a picture taken at night, with brightness set to 50%, under Adobe RGB color profile:
    http://www.helpweaver.com/IMG_4087.JPG (looking almost straight at the monitor, at angles you'll see more as it's not polarized screen.. something very expensive to do today)

Using any other color mode other than sRGB and Adobe RGB (or unless well configured Custom color profile), you will not get black, but rather dark gray. If you open the menu, the black part should not be more black than your black screen.

Wrong color profile:
    http://www.helpweaver.com/wrong.jpg

Last edited: 27 Jul 2010
  14. torroray

Hi GoodBytes,

That is the same that I got.

I got concerned when I read Pookeyhead thread.

15. GoodBytes

Great.
    Like I said, Pokey is a real professional. His needs are VERY specific, and critical in his line of work. While the U2410 is a high end monitor for most of us, it's low end for Pokey needs. Heck even my old NEC CRT, which was actually "professional" back in days, would probably be a joke for him.

Today as we speak, you won't find a really better monitor for similar price. You might find one that is a slightly better (by probably 2-5%), at a cost of something else (less inputs, high input lag, slow response time, size, cheap stand, etc..), but that is all.

16. torroray

Hi GoodBytes,

True. I wish that manufacturer would comes out with more better quality product instead of focusing on those customer using for word and surf the web.

I know price is very sensitive and competitive in this segment but they should consider customer who appreciate good product.

17. GoodBytes

Agreed. But really, if you look at any TN panels, you would discussed by the image output. The U2410 is a BIG WOW (with drooling) in comparison, and it gives a slight edge on other IPS panels, by coming out (well almost you have to pick it in the option) of box pre-calibrated Adobe RGB and sRGB color profiles, and provides a flexible custom profile (one that has more than Red, Green and Blue as options). Oh and easy menu navigation (all the ones I tested are just plan terrible, where you'll spend more time navigating then changing what you want to change.)

I won't be surprised that the next revision of this monitor, they will use polarization (assuming this process cost diminished quiet a bit) OR (but not both), use some new PVA panel that is great for gaming, all by being inexpensive (but I doubt the last one). But I doubt this any time soon. Maybe in the next 2-3 years.

18. Sterkenburg

Sterkenburg To mod or not to mod...

Definitely do this! Try your CRT with a different computer to see if that is the actual problem. If the CRT is the problem and the video cable is detachable, swap that out and see if it's the problem. If the CRT works fine on another computer, try another monitor with your graphics card.

19. torroray

Hi GoodBytes,

Yea, I dont expect anything fantastic to happen in next few years.

Guess the manufacturer will stick to what they are doing and sell as many TFT panel they can before they realize that users wanted more worth for their money.

Hi Sterkenburg,

The CRT coating degrade so much. I had it for more than 8 years. Got to upgrade my PC a couple of months ago and I didnt think that I want to change my display since it didnt give any problem before and had serve me well all these years until this problem arise.

20. GoodBytes

Ok, I don't know how much you paid your monitor, and the real value of your currency (what can 1$ can get you).
    But, for me a """good""" 24inch TN panel from Samsung, all matte, 16:10, cost 350$.
    The U2410 sells at 700$ now, (750$ back then when I got mine), but mine was on special at 500$ (in fact it's always on special at 500$.. and now 450$). So for 500$, this is great deal for me, especially that use the different connectors at the bottom, and I do use Side-by-Side Picture in Picture (I use Input Director (free), to use my desktop keyb/mouse to control my desktop, or laptop (a software keyboard/mouse switch)).