1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CSS 1000FPS 100 Tick test/beta server

Discussion in 'Game Server' started by Rogan, 11 Mar 2010.

1. billysielu

billysielu Minimodder

I'm gonna aim to get on the server about 7pm every day.

2. Guyver1

Guyver1 Unreal since 1999, Welsh since 1974

/me waves

3. fu manchu

fu manchu I'll have the special.

Hey Guyver. Welcome to the forum.

4. ropeydude

ropeydude Hammering BC2

Haven't been playing much myself, still addicted to BC2 :(

Joined the other night and felt like a noob straight away

5. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

I don't know how but I've lost any ounce of skill I ever had ... which makes me mad and sad at the same time :(

6. Weazle

Weazle Jason Bourne's love child

Got an idea and I'm not sure if it can be scripted as envisaged or if any mods can handle this.

Is there an unstick script for maps like Militia or lag when players get stuck?

My idea is that much like chat commands "nextmap", "timeleft", "thetime", etc .... when a player types "!stuck" the server then takes the player's name and injects the command va_unstick "playername" into the console somehow. Can it be done this way?

I guess it would be limited to the first 10 seconds after warmup or once every 3 minutes? In the end it might be exploited too much possibly? Maybe have some collisiion detection script that checks player's positions?

7. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

It's not something supported by mani. So it's unlikely to happen because more mods mean less stability, less stability means no players, no players means no problem.

If there's no admin then someone needs to type kill in console, it's not rocket science.

8. Green-Hornet

Green-Hornet I am Green and I Sting

Its a good idea Weazle but the scripting would be a nightmare, it could also be used as a cheat if the person who types it into console is not stuck, it could teleport him out of danger or into a place where he gains an advantage.
    I think the player stuck scenario is not that common now and when it does happen I have found typing retry in console has helped sometimes.

Or shooting the one who is stuck to you :)
    Or typing kill in console.

9. Hayze

Hayze Wo|F Like Me

Retry would just slay you AFAIK? Because you're trying to play the same round again

10. fu manchu

I think Hornet means if you are repeatedly the victim of the stuck bug, then leave and rejoin the server. It sometimes helps.

As others have said, type kill in console if no admins or patience. A proper fix would be nice though, I wouldnt want to remove militia from the cycle just because of the spawn issue.

11. Hayze

Hayze Wo|F Like Me

Ah I see
    Although that's just one of many reason to remove militia :p

12. fu manchu

The only one in my book. Militia is a great map spoilt by players not getting into it, like all the others we have temporarily removed. We could always remove militia and put assault back on rotation ;)

13. Hayze

Hayze Wo|F Like Me

With Militia I found no real attempt to rescue the hossies, either that or they take to long to return them, it turns into a wild hide n seek map, although tunnels is always fun

14. Canon

Canon Reformed

New here but been CS'ing since release will make a point of joining you guys at some point.

15. gandy

gandy What's a Dremel?

Have you backed out of the server side 1000 fps test as its running at its default of 250.

Although zblocks kicks for net_graph 4 but you have about 3 to 10 seconds to check the server side fps before you get kicked and running at default might be the reason why it feels a little sluggish with hit reg at times.

gandy aka woop woop :)

16. fu manchu

Grabbed this from MPUKs Guide to Source Engine Server Performance

Limitations of net_graph 4
    Using net_graph 4 is great for monitoring standard FPS servers, unfortunately the calculation used for the display of server fps "sv" in net_graph 4 is limited to a 3 digit number. This means that when used on high performance match servers running at over 999fps this value becomes meaningless as it is simply displayed incorrectly.

This actual effect of this calculation / display issue varies as the FPS increases

* 1000 FPS servers will often be seen to jump around rapidly, sometimes wildly even displaying 0 - 20 fps.
    * 2000 FPS servers also can be seen to jump around but tend to stick at values for longer periods of time
    * 10000+ FPS server tend to clamp at a value e.g. 15, 980.4 or 990.1 with few changes

Important Notes

* The value displayed by "sv" in net_graph 4 seems to be sensitive to changes Valve are making, the information in this guide is correct as of 2010-07-16
    * To reiterate the "sv" values displayed are a bug with net_graph 4's ability to correctly calculate / display the FPS of these servers and it does not affect the servers actual performance.

That said we do use other methods to monitor it, IIRC although its a "1000fps" server it runs nearer to 2000, whether there is any real advantage to this, who knows. Lots of varying opinions, all I know is it performs a lot better than the previous box for the majority of players so thats good enough for me.

17. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

Actually RCON stats returns 235.52 FPS.

Is it still running on that alternative profile?

18. gandy

gandy What's a Dremel?

I have mainly had dealings with 1000fps Linux servers, i don't know if they use windows or not but the better the fps the more updates and more accurate the server will be. The server is good but i do find it goes through bouts of being sluggish with hit reg which is something i don't get on other 1000fps servers.

Server fps is normally effected but the amount of people on server, the other is the map that is played. Depending on the cpu the server is running on you can normally get to about 40 people before you notice drops in the server side fps.

My main reason for asking about the server fps is that it should report 990.1

19. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

Well I don't know about that, historically it's reported 2000 solid; not sure what it should look like on orangebox.

In reality though, the server and clients communicate 66 times a second. There's no need to have a mega high FPS, all it really is is a quantitative measure of how well the server is performing. If it's solidly reading 250, 500, 1000 or 2000FPS then you know the processor can keep up. What you're basically looking at is available overhead and a higher spec of hardware to provide that.

As to hit registration there are so many factors, almost all of them out of our control, that contribute to the phenomenon there's not a lot we can do. I mean other than maybe nod and agree or disagree. We have absolutely no control over the server other than the most basic of configuration scripts.

The other thing is we play most of the official maps, and to be brutally honest a lot of those maps are badly put together performance hogs. As far as pure performance goes you're always going to do better if you strip out the worst offenders and use carefully chosen custom maps.

Apart from anything occasional fluctuations in registration probably have to do with load on MPUK's network, or perhaps the data centre, the pipes they are connected to and so on.

But really, what I'm trying to say is *shrug* there's not much we can do. The best we can manage is to keep the server up, updated, and stop it turning into 4chan with voicecoms. Anything other than that is just outwith our control, sorry. Hell, even those few requirements are a pretty tall order.

20. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

Since the change of server the Reg has been much improved, bullets seem to go where aimed and as an overall the lag is greatly reduced. The server is busy as ever with a good crowd, I see little reason to see anyone complain. Greatly improved, especially since it's supplied foc!