1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Cooler Master HAF X Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 26 Jul 2010.

1. Durwin99

Durwin99 What's a Dremel?

Comparison to ATCS 840?

How does the HAF X compare to the ATCS 840, I was hoping to see this comparison in the CPU/GPU temperature charts but its sadly missing - they seem to be roughly the same price and size although I haven't compared the features directly... Noise is the biggest bugbear for me and I work/play in a warm room so I get annoyed constantly by fast-spinning fans... I want to buy the definitive case in the next month along with a complete new system based on an i7 CPU & ATI 5870 - ie pretty much the config of the "Premium Player" from July's Hardware buyers guide - just debating the case to use...
    Thanks!

2. robert69

robert69 What's a Dremel?

Can anyone post the dimensions of their wire shield box thingy that goes forward of the PSU? I'm wondering if it will fit my CM 840........

3. robert69

robert69 What's a Dremel?

Haf X vs DF 85: definately do not get the DF 85. It's not roomy enough to do water cooling, and the build quality is not what I've come to expect of Antec.

4. mpr

mpr What's a Dremel?

I couldn't tell you how it compares to anything other than my old CM Stacker case. It's way quieter. If I turn my CPU fan all the way down then the case fans are barely a whisper. In fact, before this case I didn't even realise how loud my wifes laptop fans are (it's about 3' away on the desk next to mine).

5. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

99.9 percent of PCs on the high street are based around a tired run-of-the-mill design of a rectangular box with a slightly rounded mismatched face plate bolted onto its front.

Lian Li took this simple design and did it properly, by making an effort to have the front face plate match the minimal and straight lines of the main PC box.

The problem now is that we seem to have a "case" of extremes, where you either have: a nice but boring basic minimal tin box PC that doesn't offend anyone; or we have the case that attempts to be radical and different in looks by breaking the world record for the most throw ups of public vomit that it can conduce.

There are some exceptions. And to be honest, the HAF X isn't tooooooo bad. At least it's far better than the Antec Dark Fleet. They could have made the bottom section of the HAF X front intake grill match the top section. Blend it in like an Antec 1200's awesome mesh grill, running in a straight line from top to bottom.

Why can't these companies hire some decent designers to produce some advanced, dynamic, futuristic, sleek looking gaming PC cases that look like what most people can look at and want.

What about good designs like the jet-engine-inspired Dell XPS 700 http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/09/04/Dell_XPS_700_review/2 with its sleek uninterrupted dynamic sheets of aluminium side panels stretching from front of the case to the back. Instead of looking like it is a simple bland square tin box with a front face plate bolted on.

Or what about the aluminium matte black HP Blackbird 002 http://www.engadget.com/photos/hps-blackbird-002-gaming-rig-up-close/383687/

Or what about having a case with a side that seems like it is a single pane of aluminium sheet suspended in the air. A little bit like the new Alienware Area 51.

Or what about a side window similar to the almost seamless one on the Corsair 800D. Or even better, take the glass from inside to the outside and let it cover the whole of the outside of the side panel. Tint the glass light black, and cut out a window section in the metal sheet behind it.

How many people look at a Ferrari on the street and throw up vomit?

For me, gaming PC cases should be like something designed by Ferrari, Lamborghini or Aston Martin.

A gaming PC should look sporty, with clean, sleek, dynamic lines and curves.

Last edited: 28 Jul 2010
  6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

In other words we want more cosmos.

7. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I think that's the word I was looking for :)

Elton likes this.
  8. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the pic's guys and my HAF X is on its way so will be selling my COSMOS now

9. Raggtop

Raggtop Budget Modder

from what i have read on all the sites and all the reviews ive see it looks like a good case with lots of potentcal or modding anf lots of air cooling if all one ahs to do is add a fan controller then thats a small price to pay. i have a friend than has a HAF 932 and he loves it. the only thing i dont like is all the shouds and the mobo tray is not removable but with all that space one can forgive Cooller Master for that but that is just my opion.

10. Zeali

Zeali What's a Dremel?

I just met the designer of HAF X here at Assembly summer 2010 at Finland.

All i can say is that what an pleasant guy to talk. We talked about the design and what his next project will be.

He said next he's focusing on making a silent case for midrange so we might be looking a good competition for antec sonata cases.

Tags: Add Tags