1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: OSIDIAS - Carbon fiber and 3D printed SFF (Jan. 2, 2020)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by craigbru, 2 Jun 2010.

1. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

You're the one that mentioned building the threaded inserts into the carbon on layup. I think....:worried:

Screw it, no one's going to go back and read all the posts.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:D:thumb:

2. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Thanks and you're welcome Shadow. I'm looking forward to seeing your work!

I've seen that film, but never worked with it myself. Do you have plans for it?

Lol, best just to move on. :D

3. craigbru

Thanks to inspiration from Javi, dbradford, and w33dy at the Mod Brothers forums, I've done a little something to help with my dust collection. I really needed a third hand when cutting on the workbench, and with none in sight, I came up with a great alternative. I modded an old architect lamp!

I couple of velcro straps, and the vac hose was attached to end of the arm. After using it for a few cuts, I've got to say that it's quite effective for a low tech solution. I'm guessing it's catching at least 75% of the dust caused by cutting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, with a decent dust collection solution in place, it was time to put it to use. I was streaming live during a portion of this, so I'm missing a few pics. With most of the side holes done, it was time to move to the top. Here is what it looked like after cutting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now it's time to move back the side. The last hole I need to cut is where the PSU will sit. Here is the hole all marked out. (Live Stream)

[​IMG]

All cut! (Live Stream)

[​IMG]

And finally a test fit with a PSU in place.

[​IMG]

4. nlancaster

nlancaster Minimodder

looks awesome.

Don't stand on it now. with that great big hole for the PSU it will mostly likely break.

5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Why would you stand on a case to being with?

BTW great progress, it's really starting to come together

6. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

To attract Mankz' attention, apparently. :D

Seriously craigbru, this is scarily good work.

7. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

Really nice worh, all your cut are still as clean as possible.

8. jegerjon

jegerjon What's a Dremel?

I can't believe how strong the carbon fibers are! Incredible! And your work sir, is outstanding! Very original.

9. shah

shah Minimodder

Craig that is very good. Now we need some skynet hardware.

10. craigbru

Thanks man. Yeah, I definitely wouldn't stand on the back half now. The front could probably still take it, although at this point I'm not going to find out. The CF is still incredibly strong!

Lol, thanks guys.

Thank you Fabou. I really pride myself on clean and straight cuts. I've got a very keen eye, and anything other than perfectly straight would probably drive me insane. I could literally never accept it. Especially in this case, with this material.

Thank you. It really is an amazing material. Incredibly strong, lightweight, and good looking to boot.

Lol, thanks bro. The hardware isn't too far off. It wasn't until I got to that last hole that I realized I hadn't decided what my next step was going to be. I can't work on the side panels yet since I haven't ordered the orange carbon fiber blend yet. So, that leaves the interior work. The support assembly to be specific. That will be molded out of 100% carbon fiber. Although, I'm not sure whether to make it a single piece, or 3 separate pieces that I then bolt together. If it's a single piece, the challenge will be in the mold making and subsequent layup. If it's 3 pieces. I can likely use the CNC for most of the cutting, but then have to make different molds... I'm not sure yet.

11. Shadow703793

Shadow703793 What's a Dremel?

Could you describe or show (video?) of how that thing looks like? I'v been trying to find "how" it looks like but can't find a vid,etc of it. If it has the right effect, I plan to put a few strips of it along the leading edges of the fans for a nice effect. Or just stencil the name of the PC out of it and put it somewhere on the case or put it on my laptop cover (I HATE GLOSSY TOPS/SCREENS and fingerprints!).

As promised: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=191657

Last edited: 28 Jul 2010
  12. shah

shah Minimodder

More carbon!!! :D. I think if it is possible you should try to make a signle piece. This will compliment the whole build in terms of using one structure.
    The orange carbon fiber blend will look :thumb: Can't wait for it.:D

13. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Slight hijack....

How's the shop vac holding up to all the carbon dust? I've been working on my new dust collection system. Ran out of grey paint though....

[​IMG]

Back to our regularly scheduled build log.......

14. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

You sure are good at making very straight cuts in that carbon fiber!

Have you been having any problems with the carbon fibers causing itching or irritation? Do you wear a mask or other protective gear when working with it?

Also, is vacuum bagging required to make the carbon fiber super strong? I was not planning on using vacuum bagging for the project on working on.

@barry, how is that dust collector made? and what advantage does that give?

15. craigbru

I don't have any pics or video to link, but I think the overall effect would be lost if you were to use pieces that were too small. How small, I can't say, but it's something to be wary of.

Looking good bro! I'll be commenting in there shortly. :thumb:

Yeah, I should make it a single piece. Lol, that will make for some insane work. We'll see how it goes!

Dude, that looks sweet! My vac is holding up just fine, but a solution like yours is what I need. I'll have to make a project out of that sometime soon.

I've had no problems with itching or irritation. I use a respirator type mask, goggles, and ear plugs when I cut. It keeps the dust out of everything important. Now since I've started using my little articulating vac hose, there's even less dust to worry about. Any dust within 3 or 4 inches gets sucked right up.

Vacuum bagging isn't necessary, but it helps. Basically, you don't want any voids or air pockets between the layers, and you want the cloth as close together as possible. You want to rely on the strength of the CF, not the resin. Vacuum bagging just helps that process along.

16. nlancaster

nlancaster Minimodder

Craig,

You need to bring that thing to PDXLan (http://www.pdxlan.net/portland/) and win the Case mod competion. $1500 cash, cover of CPU mag, + loads of hardware. You would totaly destroy the competion.

17. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

It's a Dust Deputy. Here's a couple videos I made of it in action. It's a cyclonic dust removal system for wood workers, kinda like a bigger version of a Dyson vac. I've completely filled that 5 gallon bucket with sawdust and only a tablespoon of it made it to the shop vac, and I think that's because I didn't realize the bucket filled up and the dust had nowhere to fall. Really light stuff can still make it to the vac, I've had some fluffy weed stuff blow into the garage and it didn't have enough mass to get dropped into the bucket. It will also hold rocks at the top of the cyclone until you shut down the vac, they just keep spinning and spinning at the top.

18. craigbru

Making it to one of the PDXLan's is a goal of mine for next year. This year it's just not doable. I'm not sure when I'll actually finish the case. I'll definitely give this thing some time in the public eyes. :D

Pretty slick stuff indeed. :thumb:

19. nlancaster

nlancaster Minimodder

I too have a dust deputy and it works wonderfully. I use a 12gal barrel as my collection, and the whole thing is mounted to a hand truck.

20. craigbru

Wow, it would take me years to fill something that big. Lol. A 5 gallon unit is in my near future. :D