1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays CRT Monitor

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by torroray, 10 Jul 2010.

1. torroray

torroray What's a Dremel?

Hi GoodBytes,

I paid mine about 500$.

Yea, you pay slightly more than a TN panel but a transition from CRT to LCD, I just dont think spending 350$ for TN is worth the value for money.

I understand what Pookeyhead saying. I dont want to compare IPS vs TN. I will be looking at it all day and I dont want to say that I wasted 350$.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Definitely. Once you pass from TN to IPS, you feel that TN panels should be banned :)

You should enjoy the advantages of your U2410 over you CRT:
    - No distortion thanks to digital connection.
    - Multiple inputs (plug your laptop, second computer, gaming console) - I plug my Wii on Component and laptop on Display Port.
    - Fully adjustable, and doesn't wobble.
    - Always sharp text and easy to read text
    - No flickering of any kind
    - Larger work space
    - Beautiful and better colors
    - No geometric shape changing over time (I am sure circles on your CRT are no longer circles but ovals when the screen is set to be edge to edge)
    - Ability to put the monitor to portrait mode (I use a free program called iRotate (I can it to give you if you PM me), which allows me to rotate the screen using keyboard shortcuts.
    - Possibly brighter (depending on your CRT and it's age)
    - Lower power draw
    - Easy menu navigation
    - Picture-in-Picture feature
    - Perfect edge to edge picture (some CRT's have problems with this).
    - No warm up time needed to get a perfect image output.
    - Light scratch resistance film (apparently - don't kill me if not true) - My guess is that it's nicer with you when you clean the screen with a smooth micro-fibber cloth. My friend scratch his LCD (not a U2410 - a 22inch Samsung TN) because the cloth was not super clean.
    - Easy to clean (I spray a bit of tap water (my water is not what one would call Hard water (too many minerals)) on my micro fiber cloth and wipe (don't damp the cloth, of course) - I tried Monster cleaners (I got it for free) and some Memorex screen cleaner and they both leaves streaks).

For a loss of not perfect pitch black due today technology limitation (too pricey)... hey it's a great deal for me.

And I don't know about you, but my 17inch NEC monitor cost (in 2004), 450$...

3. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

Am I the only one who finds text to be harder to read on LCDs than CRTs? I always enjoy returning to my 20" CRTs after having been forced to look at even calibrated TN panels, whether it's the older display of my laptop, or the brand new Iiyama TN LCD of my housemate where I can see the individual pixels due to the low native resolution.

4. torroray

Hi GoodBytes,

Hold on there.

It didnt cross my mind about cleaning and now you have me thinking.

I did read here about cleaning LCD but so many opinion from tap water to ionized water and many different LCD cleaning solution.

Any specific cleaning solution you recommend?

And the type of cloth to use and where to get them.

Just got my LCD a couple of days any chance that dust gather on the screen.

5. torroray

Hi Elledan,

The reason that text are hard to read on LCD is because different panel got different dot pitch.

The bigger the dot pitch the easier it is to read the text.

Some high resolution panel got very tiny dot pitch.

6. GoodBytes

Holding...

What I learned is that it depends on your screen film. Here is an interesting example: My laptop is a Dell Latitude E6400. If I spray tap water on my cloth, it will show streak when it dries.. but not on my U2410. If I use my cleaner, it's the opposite, on my laptop it ends up with a clean, like-new screen, while on my U2410 I have streaks everywhere.

Here is the problem with water. If you put too much... well water can go in the screen, and your screen breaks. Cleaning solution usually doesn't conduct electricity so you are safer.
    It is to be noted to NEVER AT WHAT EVER the cost, spray any liquid (screen solution or not), on your screen. The product in question can go between your LCD film and the panel itself. It will dry, and you'll see permanent streak on your display, that you can't remove and won't be covered with any warranty (as it's your fault) unless you have accidental damage protection on your screen.

Tap water is nice to clean the U2410. I put it a small spray bottle, and spray lightly (like the cleaning solution) on my cleaning cloth and wipe gently the screen. Most of the time, you won't even need a cleaning solution. A simple wipe to remove the dust is all you need.
    If you have hard water (more minerals than normally... you tend to use more soap to clean yourself and your dishes), as it's called, it will leave streaks no mater what display you use it on. This is where you can use demineralized water (deionization/distillation) water. Also it doesn't conduct electricity. It's safer to use too (less likely to show anything if it penetrate your screen). Cleaning solution, does use demineralized water, however they add other solution to repel dust (doesn't really). To help repel dust using water, you can add a a few drops of white vinegar in your water cleaning solution, and shake. Don't use too much. White vinegar is powerful stuff (great in giving pots and pans a stainless when applied directly, like new, inside of your pots and pans - won't remove burned food, or rust). So just a few drops.

NEVER EVER use Windex or similar cleaners on your screen. You will destroy the LCD screen film, and distort your image (will deform the LCD film at a micro level).

Products like these:
    [​IMG]
    Or packaged wet cloth, should be avoided. They WILL scratch your screen. It will happen as soon as the heat gets a bit dusty, or you do contact with the plastic. (which is VERY VERY easy to do). The pre-wet cloth, the tissue is way to wet, and too stiff to use for cleaning.

This is what I got for free:
    http://www.onecall.com/ImageCache/Monster Cable_Monster-Cable-ScreenClean_400x400_s.jpg
    (but expensive if you purchase it (because it's a Monster product), and not worth the price)

It comes with a cleaning solution and a nice soft enough micro-fiber cloth (you want micro-fiber cloth). The solution is not good for my U2410... but the cloth is nice.
    The liquid is not blue, it's transparent.. Memorex has the very same product but in a brown bottle and brown colored micro fiber cloth. It cost much less. I would get this one.

So far, I have no found a cleaning solution to clean well my U2410, other than tap water lightly sprayed on a cloth.

When using a cleaning solution, apply on the micro-fiber cloth, and wipe, when done, flip the cloth over, and perform circles (lightly, slowly, and repeatedly moving all around the screen) to remove any excess solution left on the screen, to end up with a very clean screen, like-new screen.

Use a cleaning solution when you have dirt that can't removed with a simple wipe of your micro fiber cloth. Make sure that the micro fiber cloth you use is stored well, and only used for your screen. Don't clean other things with it, as it can grab large or stiffer dust particle that can scratch your screen. Be gentle when cleaning your screen. Don't use a metal brush when cleaning :)

Smooth to the touch micro-fiber cloth is what you need.

Depends on how dusty your environment it. If you are in a hospital operation room, then you won't get much dust., or any for that mater. If you are downtown, and no air filter on your A/C, then expect dust on it, every day.

Yes. You can fine tune ClearType in Windows, to make the text easier to read. Under Vista and Win7 (i think it's an extra download for XP), in the control panel you have this tool, and it's a wizard type of thing that guide you through, in getting easy/easier to read text.

And, also it depends on if you use VGA or DVI connection. VGA can get interference and is converted twice. LCD is digital signal, using VGA means that the signal is converter on your graphic card, and converted back to digital inside your monitor. VGA cable will grab environment distortion, providing you with inferior image quality compared to DVI.

7. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

I think you mean smaller dot pitch is better. My CRTs have around .23, whereas I have seen LCDs with .28 and up. What LCDs suffer from is the '640x480 on a 20" display' effect, where there aren't either enough pixels or data to fill up the picture smoothly, leading to very undesirable jaggies.

I'm aware of ClearType, and I have it enabled for all my LCDs. It really does help a lot to do sub-pixels smoothing, but it can't do anything about the lack of physical pixels. 1920x1080 at 26" WS just doesn't work. Really.

8. torroray

Hi GoodBytes,

I hope you dont go into how to paint a house. LOL.

I appreciate the detail explanation.

Instead of tap water what do you think about bottled water.

I dont know the mineral content of my water. Also I'm afraid with old pipes in my house, rust trace could be mixed with my tap.

http://www.neatitems.com/micro.htm

So many to choose from.

9. GoodBytes

Sure, as long as you spray on you cloth a small zip, you should be good. On your way you can get distilled water. For me I can get at my local pharmacy.

Basic hand micro-fiber cloth.

10. GoodBytes

You can also use any very soft cloth, just be sure they are lint free... else they will make the screen more dirty than anything.

I forgot to mention, never use detergent, or any cleaning solution of any kind. If you need leaning power, use patient and rub it gently, slowly, with your cloth, or use a screen cleaner.

What I recommend, is to get a cleaning solution with a microfiber cloth. The cleaning solution may or may not leave streaks, but if it happens, just spray water on the other side of the cloth and clean it, the same way you originally wanted to do.

This is the same solution as Monster. Comes with a nice micro-fiber cloth:
    http://www.videocom.com.hk/image/product/pc_diy_access_736B05009.jpg