1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics HD5970 'Fixed all problems with latest official BIOS' (Added latest vBIOS in post #1)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44432, 7 Apr 2010.

1. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

The latest vbios DOES NOT adjust the 2d clocks, so therefore it runs at 157mhz 300mhz. THAT DOESN'T MEAN YOU WILL GET 2D CRASHES. IT MEANS THEY HAVE FIXED THE PROBLEM WITH THE 2D CRASHES WHILST MAINTAINING A LOW CLOCK SPEED.I have been crash free since I had the beta vbios installed v124. Now with V126 installed I have had no issues with my card.
    The latest vbios will solve those cold bug problems, as its due to how the vbios had been written.
    All hd5970 are reference designed, so therefore you can use any HD5970 vbios. (Excluding the Vapor and Ares) The only problem you will come across is getting your Dedicated voltage tweaking tools to work, as these own brand overclocking tools require a matching P/N no. which is in the vbios. So if you have flashed it with the sapphire Vbios, you can use the sapphire overvolting tool.

Cheers,

Simon.

2. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

As you have flashed your card with the sapphire vbios, you can use the Sapphire overvolting tool from there site.

If you have your HD5970 watercooled, I can give you a Overclocked vbios, which means you won't need to use these tweaking tools, and still maintain power saving when not using the 3d clock speeds.

Cheers,

Simon.

3. Boxman90

Boxman90 What's a Dremel?

No, that's different. Those standard tools only let you choose between 1.05 and 1.1625. The Asus Voltage Tweak makes it possible to set the voltage anywhere between 1.05 and 1.45v. 1.45v is overkill, but preliminary OC sessions already showed that the card will greatly benefit from voltages over 1.1625v.

So still, could the bios be edited in a way that the card is recognized as the Asus Voltage Tweak edition card? The Asus utility does not work with the current bios.

4. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Load your Asus bios in RBE and copy all the Bios imformation over to the sapphire bios.
    Bios date/time
    Bios version string etc...

If this does not work, then you should contact Asus and see if they have vbios v126.

Simon.

5. ElGreco

ElGreco What's a Dremel?

COLD BUG FREE vBIOS

Thanks a LOT for your constant support!

Its nice to hear that you got rid off the cold bug issue without increasing default 2d clocks and power consumption! This is exactly what I need for my card!

Just a small note here: (Cold Bug "definition" the way I understand it-perhaps I am wrong)
    The crashes from the cold bug occur when a card is below a temperature threshold and while it transits for the first time from 2d to 3d clock. That's the way the cold bug is defined in many threads and thats the issue I also have (verified using GPU-Z log function). In most cases this is solved using higher default 2d clocks but with the sapphire vBios this is not necessary anymore :clap:

Have you managed to identify what is the difference between sapphire vbios and other cards vbios (e.g. XFX or ASUS) that makes the H5970 work cold bug free?

If we could identify this difference we could guide the other manufacturers to improve their bioses as well.

Again,... Thank you!

6. Boxman90

Thanks, I'll try that. Should I also edit the subvendor ID, or should I leave that untouched?

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Yeah change the vendor to Asus.

8. Boxman90

OK, i've done that, changed everything so that it would be the same as the original Asus bios. On the original Asus bios, the master had vendor 0x0000 (dunno why) and the secondary had Asus as vendor. Copied this over, but then the card wasn't recognized by the drivers, even after sweep + reinstall. Same goes for if i put both the master and slave bios on vendor Asus. Why's that?

9. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I don't know. My sapphire has the same Vendor on the Slave but 0x0000 on the Master.

Do you have your card watercooled? if so I can give you a very stable 900/1200 overclocked vbios VDDC 1.2v VDDCI 1.175v.

10. douglatins

douglatins What's a Dremel?

NEVER EVER CHANGE:

Vendor in bios
    And CCC limits

These options seems to be coded and cant be replaced. Trying to replace it will get issues with catalyst drivers

NEVER EVAR EVUR NEVARR

11. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

That's why when you change these details, you need to reinstall the drivers.

So you can change the vendors and limits as long as you reinstall the drivers, or delete the XMP profiles.

12. fullinfusion

fullinfusion What's a Dremel?

True gamer, I did what you posted in post ONE,,, Noe I have a bricked 900 hundred gpu!

I typed as you said and the flash took but nothing!

I had a bios back up saved and typed...

atiflash -f -p 0 Cypress.bin

didnt restart

I then typed

atiflash -f -p 1 Cypress.bin

all took well but I cant see windows?

I here the mobo do It's normal single beep and then hear the windows boot screen, but I dont have any video!

HELP PLEASE!!!! :confused:

13. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

You may have flashed the Slave to the Master and vise versa.

Are you sure you did as Post #1? and are you 100% that the flash took the first time?

How did you know that the flash didn't work if you flashed it back to the original? You must have rebooted with my vbios for you to decide to flash it back to the original. Please be truthful.

Well anyway TTP, you have 2 options.

1, You go and buy a cheap pcie card and put that into PCIe slot 2 if you have one. Then you can try a flash again.

2, You will need to blind your way around your mobo bios to enable your usb to boot first into DOS and blind type the commands.

I personally would go with option 1.

Cheers,

Simon.

14. fullinfusion

Simon, Im sure the flash took the first time but you were right about the slave and master may been mixed up. The first time I flashed I did what your post #1 said to do, I followed your instructions to a T.

I rebooted and nothing happened, my CrossHair IV post led lights light up in sequence till it hit the gpu led... that led stayed solid red so the flash didnt take as I hoped and thats the god's honest truth.

I ended up buying a gts 250 just so I could see the screen, it took some time to flash back to the factory bios... I did save the backup bios but I never saved the 2nd gpu's bios as I was sure they were the same.

I was able to get the master and slave bios from TPU data base and finally got the 5970 working again... Im a bit shy on trying to flash again as like I said I spent 900 dollars on this gpu...

15. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Which HD5970 have you got? Cause I don't think the vbios will work with the Sapphire Toxic or Asus Arse, I mean Ares.

Well if it ain't those models then I would download the vbios again just in case the files got corrupted somewhere along the line.
    At least with having a second card as a spare, you can't really go wrong when flashing your vbios.

Simon.

16. fullinfusion

I've got the Sapphire 5970 oc edition, and the gts is going back today, lets say it was rented ;)

Simon does Sapphire have a windows program that will automatically flash the gpu's bios?

I read some where before on different manufacturer's send the ppl out the program to fix their gpu's

17. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I would not suggest using a window program to flash your card!!

As you have the same GPU as me, I think you should retry from a fresh download. what I have posted in post #1 is copied from my Sapphire support ticket.

18. r0obin

r0obin What's a Dremel?

I have tried to upgrade the BIOS (atiflash-p 0 C0001OCM.AC1, fp-atiflash C0001OCS.AC1 1-f) but it is still locked. After that I tested with
    (Atiflash-p 0-f m.ac1, hang-p atiflash s.ac1 1-f) Both the BIOS hangs. What should I do? : /

19. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

If you have typed it like that, then you have not typed it properly. Hence it not flashing.

Also make sure your Dos bootable usb is windows 98 and not a newer version.
    There is a link in post 1 with the Dos files.

Once in DOS type this command.

atiflash -p 0 c000ocm.ac1 -f

(MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE THE SPACES).

Now you have flashed your Master vbios.

Now type this command directly after flash the master.

atiflash -p 1 c000ocs.ac1 -f

(It doesn't matter it its lower or high case when typing these commands).

Now you have flashed your Slave vbios. You can reboot now.

Simon.

20. r0obin

r0obin What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the help but when I used (overclocked 5970 v126 vbios) and tested FurMark so became my VDDC Phase of slave GPU 110 ° C. Is this normal with EK-FC5970 water blocks? I have the extra piece of thermal pads that you wrote at the beginning.

//Robin