1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs What happens if Intel does end overclocking?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 29 Jul 2010.

1. cyberspice

cyberspice Angel on a bad trip

Hmmm...... My current system is a Core2 E6600 overclocked to 3GHz with an MSI P965 Platinum

Runs like that 24/7. has done for over 3 years. No issues WHAT-SO-EVER.

I've been overclocking since the days of the original pentium, before the days of overclocking in the BIOS. My first overclock was bumping a P133 up to 200MHz (WOW!)......

Guess what, I had that system for 5 years before it finally gave up the ghost. even then, it was because I had a new PC and was just using that one to mess around and see how far I could push it.

I think you are mistaken......

2. tmegremis

tmegremis What's a Dremel?

As I said, (if you bothered to read what wrote before you replied), the processors don't have any problem with overclocking, motherboards do. Never ever have I lost a processor for any reason. I have lost plenty of motherboards though.

3. tmegremis

Maybe I am unlucky with mobos but.. the fact is that I lost another ASUS mobo 6 months ago. The death was slow, and painful (for me at least). It is not that they die completely. Mine started with the raid array failing randomly.... slowly but steadily things deteriorated further.... at the end, when i changed the mobo and i took the heatsinks off the northbridge and the southbridge and the thernal paste/pad undeneath them had become a cement like substance.

I have lost many systems due to overclocking the processor to the absolute chip limit. The processor never ever gets damaged it is usually the motherboard that gets damaged one way or another.

By the way and before another guy starts going on about voltages, I must state that I never increase voltages....

Processors do not suffer motherboards do. I build raid 5 or raid 10 systems. These are much more sensitive

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

So? Just buy a new board. For the year you've had it you'll do everything faster and saved more on the cost of an expensive CPU, plus, got a feature upgrade on a new motherboard too. :)

5. tmegremis

Lol.......:thumb:

6. Lord-Vale3

Lord-Vale3 His Tremendousness

I havent tried overclocking yet, still a little intimidated by the idea. My i5-750 at stock speeds on my P55-UD2 (apparently I have excellent hardware for overclocking) is snappy enough and I run all my games at max settings and have no lag. I just dont need OC'ing, so I dont know if all this really matters to me.

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You will do it, when your computer gets too slow, at which point you don't care. Because, if you OC you can extend a year the system, which is fine, or if all fail (for some odd reason), you buying a new computer in any case.

8. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

9. tmegremis

yes as a matter of fact I have.

Do you?

10. Lord-Vale3

I love the opportunity to build new systems. :D

11. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Which is why you build RAID-5 systems on onboard controllers, and then OCing a CPU without raising the voltages to give it stability? :thumb:

12. tmegremis

Yes..... I pay 300 Euros for a motherboard, but no....... I am not going to use the onboard controller, I will pay another 1000 Euros to buy a 'proper' raid 10 controller...... Or maybe I should buy a 'proper' server farm for my computing needs?.... Wouldn't that be great?

Well instead of your 'useful' comment I prefer to leave the processor at stock speed and run the onboard raid-10 to keep my data safe.

On your second comment....... Ask yourself.....
    If I raised the voltage as you suggest.... my motherboards would be alive, instead of dead? No
    If my computer runs overclocked for a year doesn't it mean that OC was succesful? Yes

Please think before you write

13. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

heh all your eggs in one basket though.. one power spike and you got raid nothing.. better to have a nas or external backup

about the article.. this might be a good chance for amd to pimp chips

14. jasonjax1

jasonjax1 What's a Dremel?

Hmmm if they kill the overclock feature, there will be ways around it.

There will always a way to go beyond the stock speed if you have a good oc mobo.

It will just make the chips out now all the more valuable to have... i.e. cpu are limited in run will cost more rather than less when the chips are down {pardon the pun}

15. t1alek

t1alek Mind modder.

I won't miss overclocking I can hardly tell the difference between the stockspeeds of my q9300 and my current 750MHz overclock.
    Then again I mainly use it for gaming, which is far more gpu-limited. At least if you crank up the settings.

Average pc's are limited more by networking and storage performance for average tasks (like gaming).

16. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

LOL, this is because your CPU is is fairly new.
    Wait until it reaches 4-5 years old. Every 100MHz gain will decide if you'll have a choppy gaming experience or a smooth one.

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Overclocking is the main reason I invest in a good quality case, cooling, motherboard, psu & memory, take away overclocking & I could go for a cheapo generic case, motherboard & cheapo psu so they would hurt a lot of the consumer pc tech industry imo & make things go backwards, not so many people willing to pay out £700+ for a cpu who I know, infact anyone I personally know would never pay that highly for a good cpu.

I really like being able to buy a cpu at £200 & have it run as good as a £700 cpu :rock::D:thumb:.

In the end I just hope intel doesn't put an end to overclocking, it would be a big loss & a leap backwards for the consumer pc world & would cause me to say bye bye to intel & hello to AMD I'm pretty tempted by the x6 AMD black edition at the nice price it's at but still want to see whats next for AMD cpu's before I upgrade.

My current intel q9650 oc'd to 3.8ghz is pretty sweet as it's running at a smidge over default volts so it's still using a low power draw, if I bump it up by just 200mhz to 4ghz it requires much more volts & makes it draw near double the power so I found it's sweet stable low power spot after some blue screens :), I would definately miss a great bonus like this if intel got rid of overclocking potential.

18. Lord-Vale3

Wow your a necromancer.

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

LOL yeah was a bit late on this one hehe :duh: :lol:.

20. Noisiv

Noisiv What's a Dremel?

Screw you Intel.

I'll be cheering Fusion and Bulldozer wipe the floor with Sandy Bridge.

And tbh I don't see much of performance gains coming from SB anyway.

Mark my word - If AMD didn't make Athlon, we'd still be on a "mature" Net Burst arch.

Tags: Add Tags