1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Samsung launches 2TB tri-platter drive

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Aug 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

My next big bilding project will be having 5 x 2TB drives in it (provided I can find a decently priced PCI 5 drive controller card that will work with freenas that is) so a lowering of the power usage is definitely a big plus point for me as long as the price premium is not too great

3. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

So the EcoGreen F4EG has 3 platters and the F3EG had 4? Way to go with that simple numbering, Samsung.

4. mclean007

Seems the sweet spot for large capacity drives is still on 1.5TB, which can be had for around £55, whereas the cheapest 2TB drives I've seen are around £80. That's an oversimplification though, I guess, as you need more spindles to hit the same aggregate capacity, so a smaller number of 2TB drives might be a better choice.

5. Jezcentral

Jezcentral Minimodder

When will we see this in Caviar Black and Spinpoint-proper flavours?

6. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

Because its the 4th generation. And customers buy whatever product has the highest number on it.

I am likely to be picking up a couple of 2TB drives soon, its either going to be Samsung or WD, whichever is on sale at the time, but if these 3 platter designs dont carry a price premium i may just sway samsung's way.

7. Mraedis

Mraedis Minimodder

This is the most retarded remark I have seen anyone make regarding HDD's on Bit-tech.

8. Pandora92

Pandora92 What's a Dremel?

Personaly I would be much more interested to see a 1TB drive that uses only 1 platter (particularly a spinpoint F3), but obviously that wont happen until some time after we move onto 4KB sector drives, but still, I can dream.

Last edited: 3 Aug 2010
  9. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

2tb is better as I have run out of sata connectors to my motherboard!

10. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

He has got a point though!

11. mclean007

Thanks, genius. It was a simple observation and there's no need to be a bitchy little scrote about it. Put your claws away and get back in your box until you've got something constructive and/or amusing to say.

12. mclean007

Oh, and by the way, there's no apostrophe in the plural form "HDDs".

13. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

What are the reliability / failure rates of 1TB+ drives these days. I haven't looked into them for a long time, honestly, but Tiger Direct keeps having them on sale for $55. Since I use a laptop, I can't really just plug a new drive in, but I'm thinking about an external set-up for all my music, video, etc...

Thoughts, advice?

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Regardless of supposed failure rates - including the *incredibly* misleading "MTBF" figures - I have only one piece of advice: buy two drives. Buy two drives, from two different manufacturers. Keep your precious data on both.

Seriously. You'll thank me for it one day.

15. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

2TB with 3 platters is definitely more impressive than 3TB with 5 platters. Certainly be interesting to see the initial price for it.

16. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

Personally I would rather see higher capacity drives... let me squeeze more space out of raid 6!

17. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I still think they should start making 5.25" drives :hehe:

18. jedh

jedh What's a Dremel?

I wonder how this will compare with the WD20EARS-00MVWB0?

19. Mraedis

Mraedis Minimodder

You're welcome.

I, for one, find it very logical that the F4 is faster than the F3, and if you used that brain of yours to do something other than make irrelevant remarks, you'd realise that the average consumer doesn't give half a rat's ass about how many platters there are in there.

And thanks for your correction of my previous spelling error, always nice to improve my English!

20. mclean007

Irrelevant remarks? I commented on the article. It was a simple observation, and I'm fully aware that the average consumer doesn't care about the technical details. My comment directly addressed the content of the article, and is therefore relevant by definition.

Your response, on the other hand, was a rude and unnecessary personal attack, contributing nothing of substance related to the article. Believe it or not, you don't get to walk in here with your 67 posts and proclaim yourself the arbiter of what constitutes 'permitted' debate, insulting other members or ridiculing their comments. These forums have been here for a long time, and - if you're permitted to stick around for long enough to find out before your attitude earns you a ban - you'll find a large number of members who will passionately defend the open, friendly, welcoming culture that has made the Bit-Tech community so strong. You might want to consider reading the forum rules before you post any more inflammatory comments. Grow up.

Tags: Add Tags