1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Froyo a go go for Desire!

Discussion in 'General' started by Matticus, 2 Aug 2010.

1. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Finally ! I just saw an ad for the Desire on tv. It's about damn time !

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Getting a Desire in about 2 weeks time, when my current contract is up. I was all for the iPhone 4, until I actually started using Android 2.2 on my old HTC Kaiser (Tilt/TyTN II). It is nowhere near as bad as I thought it was. The UI is as easy to use as the iPhone and it's far more flexible.

Does anyone know when T-Mobile UK are getting the update? I'm probably going to root the thing and install my own ROM anyway, but it'd be nice to have the stock 2.2. ROM to compare it to.

3. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

I think the T-mobile desires are essentially stock units, ie: unbranded. so it should get the 2.2 update OTA as soon as you first switch it on ^^

(can't test it out though, as i have a custom rom :p)

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

That would be good. Usually T-Mo like to slap their branding all over everything, and they were never particularly good with their updates. The HTC Kaiser I have was actually called the MDA Vario III by T-Mo... Go figure...

5. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Chap at work got an update last week - he's on an "unbranded" T-Mobile.
    Lot's of hating from the vodafone desire users at work at the moment ;)

The best thing about Froyo is the speed boost! Other than flash support (which still needs a little work imo) is pretty much the same between 2.1 and 2.2.

Chrome (and Firefox) to phone is also pretty awsome. Hopefully there will be more use of the push notifications etc once the dev's get around to it.

Had 2.2 for 2 months on nexus one ;) Nice to see the Desire users are finally catching up ;)

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Heh, been running it on my Kaiser for a few weeks - a phone that isn't supposed to be supported ;). Gotta love XDA-Developers...

7. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Anyone having trouble installing this? as im not having the easiest time doing it :/

Has anyone on o2 sucessfully installed froyo and if so how?

Last edited: 11 Aug 2010
  8. alastor

alastor Minimodder

How are you trying to do it? Have you just debranded or you rooting and going custom?

9. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

I picked up a rooted version of froyo and have been trying to install that, If its not the best way what would be as im a little bit clueless tbh

10. alastor

alastor Minimodder

If you want to root then this is probably the best way, then you can install an unsigned custom FroYo ROM like this. The alternative is to debrand using a goldcard by this method. You can then download the official automatic over the air (OTA) updates to get up to FroYo. This will probably upgrade various other bits of software that will make future rooting more challenging so choose wisely :thumb:

Personally I'm waiting for Paul at MoDaCo to finish his FroYo ROM, then I'll root and go for it. If you need more help then it's well worth registering and posting in the MoDaCo forum, they're a friendly bunch.

edit - there's also a reasonably decent tutorial over at XDA that breaks it all down fairly nicely. I should also note that you'll probably need a Goldcard for rooting as it's a branded phone.

Last edited: 11 Aug 2010
  11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Apologies for the thread revival.

I can confirm that the T-Mobile Desires are indeed unbranded - at least in the UK. I picked mine up on Friday, and there's nary a hint of an operator app or branding in sight.

First thing I did was upgrade to 2.2, and so far I see no need to flash a custom rom or root it. Every HTC phone I've ever owned in the past has always had a custom ROM flashed to it, but not with this one yet.

12. Vigil

Vigil Not geek enough

Question about my HTC desire. I got it unlocked, but it is still branded. I checked for updates but seems none is available for 2.2. Does this mean I need to root and install a generic version of Android? My HBoot is 8.3 so I've read that it's more difficult to root.

13. alastor

alastor Minimodder

You don't have to root it, you can make a Goldcard and install an original stock HTC ROM. This will then get the official HTC 2.2 update OTA. Broken down:

1 - Set up ADB and make a Goldcard, either with a spare MicroSD card or the one that came with your phone (if you use that card then don't forget to backup everything on it just in case, I bought a 2GB card from Play.com for mine just to be on the safe side).
    2 - Download the stock 1.15 RUU to your PC.
    3 - Put the Goldcard in your phone, connect it to your PC via USB and run the RUU. This will wipe your phone so make sure everything you need is backed up.
    4 - Leave your Goldcard in and check for updates, you should be offered the 1.21 update and then the 2.09 FroYo update. Once you're up to date you can take your Goldcard out.
    5 - Profit :D

You can of course downgrade the HBOOT and root it if you want though, totally up to you. Let me know if you need any more help :thumb:

edit - A quick point about those looking to debrand an Orange supplied Desire: the radio ROM contained in the OTA update from 1.15 to 1.21 will very likely network lock your phone. If you can connect with wi-fi and download the 2.09 OTA then you may circumvent the lock, however if that doesn't work then you'll need a network unlock code which can be acquired from ebay for ~£7 (this is the seller I used). Users have also reported problems with wi-fi and/or Bluetooth after this update but they shouldn't happen if you leave the Goldcard in while it updates.

edit2 - Another point, this method will not work with the linked RUU if you have a Desire with an SLCD screen; the hardware is different so needs a newer radio version (the radio section of a ROM essentially contains the drivers for the hardware). This thread over at XDA will be of use if you have an SLCD unit, particularly this point:

Last edited: 28 Aug 2010
  14. Vigil

Vigil Not geek enough

Cheers Alastor :) Will get another card and give it a go.

15. Voluntary_Pariah

Voluntary_Pariah a Real Man™

anyone know when the wildfire will get the update?

16. alastor

alastor Minimodder

"Soon" is pretty much the most accurate I can find. Likely after it's been rolled out to all the Desires, then possibly after it's been sent to the Legends as well.

17. Voluntary_Pariah

i know. Doesn't help that vodafone will plaster the update with their own crappy software and apps

18. WarMadMax

WarMadMax What's a Dremel?

be aware, if your on orange, you may get a "sim lock", basically the network locked to orange sim cards.

you might need to get an unlock code (about £15) or chance it

if your wifi is still working, the next OTA you do should clear the sim lock, but there has been reports of the wifi being disabled via problem in the first OTA you get...

i decided not to chance it and got an unlock code, i'm running an unbranded orange on froyo now :)

To re-iterate, you don't need root to get to stock firmware, you only need root if you want to run custom rom's being cooked up on XDA.

19. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Yup mine was Orange branded and needed an unlock code when I debranded, I picked one up for £7 on ebay from this seller. I didn't mention it above as he said his Desire was already unlocked. I'll stick a bit in the the other post in case anyone else uses it.

20. Voluntary_Pariah

Here is a question:
    If I reboot the phone with the THC stock, would I still have the ability to link facebook accounts to my contacts?
    And would I get animated wallpaper?

Neither of them are deal breakers, just things to consider.