1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows How To Introduce Someone to RPGs

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Phalanx, 8 Aug 2010.

1. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Hi guys,

Right, I need a hand here. My girlfriend has seen me playing various RPGs over the past year and has wanted to try her hand at some.

I did have a look through my own list of games, but I think they might be a bit overcomplicated for someone who needs to just get the fundamentals of an RPG for the first time they play.

I was wondering what you guys would recommend to introduce someone to RPGs. She loves fantasy stuff (wizards, orks, elves, etc) - I did consider Dragon Age for a SPLIT-second, before I laughed inside my head at how hard and fast people die in that game who have played RPGs for years already.

Any suggestions? Perhaps even older games (her introduction to proper games was through Steam ;)) pre-steam period? :)

Cheers!

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Tell you what mate, Balders Gate on the original Xbox would be perfect! Its an action RPG, made for the casual RPG-er, but you have all the loot collecting elements etc. Looks good as well, and you can play it in co op on the same screen so you could play together.

If not that, then maybe something like Mass Effect 2 - but obviously thats Sci-Fi.

3. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

How about fallout 1&2?

4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

How about Fable 2?

Its not too difficult, but still quite interesting.

I'm not much of an RPG fan, not very good at them, I suck at dragon ages, but Fable kept my attention for ages.

5. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

girls tend to like final fantasy. I know its not strictly orcs n stuff but the relatively straight forward non-skill orientated combat makes it a doddle. It's practically point and click! Otherwise Torchlight is good, easy learning curve. Then when the time is right move her on to Diablo/WoW and watch her life disappear. They're social games too so that could appeal to her...

6. Paul2011

Paul2011 Minimodder

i also reccomend fable 2 (altho sadly not on pc) my wife completed it before i did! She even re-played it just to be a baddy!

The other game i would reccomend is oblivion, but my installs heavily modded which i would suggest she does so she can make it easier or harder plus you can make it look sooo much better through mods.

Good luck and have patience (plenty! lol)

7. Shaftydude

Shaftydude Minimodder

The Witcher fits the billing, others I would recommend are Fallout 3 and Mass Effect series.

8. Ljs

Ljs Modder

WoW - easy to pick up (harder to master though). Alot of girls seem to like WoW.

Torchlight, pretty easy and should keep her amused for a bit.

Maybe an older FF? They are quite fun and I'm thinking she may like manga if she likes fantasy.

If its just for a bit of fun, how about Silkroad? Like WoW but noway near as good but its free... :)

I can't get my girlfriend to play games for ****...

9. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

Get a game called "Eye of the Beholder 2". You will need DosBox to run it. If you need help with that or with getting the game, you can PM me and I'll help.

It's an old game but it's one of the best RPG's I've ever played and it's very basic. It's complex enough to provide a good challenge and teach you the basics of RPG's, but it's simple enough that it wont overwhelm a newcomer.

Oblivion is a possibility too, although that might be a bit hard. Maybe on the easiest difficulty and if you help her build a good character that is pretty straightforward. Like a Ranger or something.

10. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

WoW is very easy to pick up from scratch... and then you can go as deep as you like, whether it be on a PvP server, or heaven forbid, a roleplaying server. Girls do indeed seem to like WoW as well.

11. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Depends what style of RPG game she wants to play really:

Diablo-esque/Baulder's Gate style RPG games

Diablo (obviously)
    Diablo 2
    Darkstone
    Torchlight
    Titan Quest
    Baulder's Gate (X-box/PS2 version)
    Baulder's Gate I/II
    Neverwinter Nights I/II
    Icewind Dale
    Hack'n'slash style RPG
    Fable I / II
    Too Human (Futuristic Action RPG based on Norse mythology)
    Viking (may be a bit too gory - decapitiations etc)
    Deathspank (good humour in this one)

Turn based RPG
    Final Fantasy series

12. Parge

Good call!

13. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

Borderland
    Fallout 3
    I havent played deathspank .. but will do once finished enjoying Borderland

14. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. :)

15. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I feel slightly offended, a lot of strategy has to be applied to some of the harder fights in FF games and not all of them are actually easy. Personally I'd pick Lost Odyssey if you go the FF route, while it has the hardest first boss of any RPG I've ever played (the bird thing) it's not that hard and it's a brilliant game if you can forgive some of the crappy graphical effects in the game and the dodgy frame rate in a lot of talking scenes, battles always fine though.

EDIT: Offended sounds so gay, I mean sadface :thumb:

Last edited: 9 Aug 2010
  16. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

TORCHLIGHT

Or Oblivion.

17. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Girls like the Fable series from what I've seen. And you could let her try Dragon Age. Just put it on easy. Zelda 64 would also be a good bet (Any zelda really).

18. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Werd. Torchlight is stupidly easy yet stupidly fun and Oblivion has amazing depth of true RPG elements and character creation. If she's really have a hard time with Oblivion then snag a few mods that make it easier, a lot of the locked leveling system ones help. The only girl gamer I really know (sorry ladies, just because you played one level of Megaman 2 to seem like a gamer and fit the retro trend at the same time doesn't mean you're a gamer in my book) loves Oblivion, Dragon Age, all Zelda games, and Fable.

I'd never recommend WoW for someone getting into RPGs because it's really not an RPG. Granted, you play a role, it's just that your role is very, very loosely defined and there is almost no story to it in relation to the character itself. You make no choices and your actions have no repercussions. Also, have fun listening to the 24 other raid members perving on your girlfriend in vent when she tries her first raid. :thumb:

19. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

My girlfriend seemed to like Oblivion quite a bit. Though that may have had something to do with being able to make a kitty.

20. Parge

HA!

Tags: