1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project :: Kaiten X [08-17] Light Port Madness

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Breach, 3 Jan 2008.

1. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

These are white CCFLs :) Though they wont be this pretty when I get done with them...

2. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

I'm sure they'll still be awsum to behold :D

3. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

Well oh well! I think it is time for another update on this thing. Sorry to say I got busy with work and put it down for a while, but I have had a second wind to get more done on Kaiten X.

I decided to start off with something a bit more fun than making more brackets, and that is the lighting I had planned.

I thought about using LED lighting, but given the wiring mess and other factors I wanted to try something different. LEDs just didnt have that nice soft glow I was after, and I dont have much space to work in. Sometimes LEDs have their limits too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I started off with 8 white CCFL tubes, wraped in orange sleeving, though the sleeving will just be some extra for later.

[​IMG]

I went about figuring out how to get the tubes out of there. I managed to find a way not to do it the first try:wallbash:

[​IMG]

I ended up just cutting them out with my dremel very carefully. Even doing this I managed to break another one... down to 6!

[​IMG]

Making sure the extraction didnt damage them, looking good. These are still damn fragile.

[​IMG]

I used a drill press and files to notch out these lighting ports, you can see the tube stuffed in there

[​IMG]

One for every lobe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First test! All 4 seemed to work just fine

[​IMG]

I thought because of the notches that the acrylic plates would be quite weakened, so I made these temporary covers from a sheet of 1/4in MDF to keep the plates from flexing. I will also use them as templates in the future for the final sheet of aluminum that will cap the back and front of Kaiten X

Thing of beauty-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really dig the light creating an orange column under it, I didnt even think about that as an after affect:rock:

Now for the back plate :dremel:

-Breach

4. murtoz

murtoz Busy procrastinating

love it! :thumb:

5. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Very nice! Keep it coming, too, I've missed this one.

6. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Thats some pritty damn nice light there mate!

7. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

Thanks bud!

Thank you PureSilver! I too have missed it, just something about seeing your project gathering dust that is a little saddening

Thanks! I was very happy with the outcome, nice soft amber glow

Ok, I had time to do a little more on it (very little unfortunatly :miffed:), mainly getting the light slots completed on the back plate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After drilling I used a Dremel roto-bit to clear the path. It chewed it up a bit worse than I thought it would, but overall it worked pretty well. Just some filing and I will call it good.

[​IMG]

Next on my list is to find this little guy a permanent home in the case.

Breach:dremel:

8. lucasrubini

lucasrubini What's a Dremel?

Hey Breach, do you know what happened to your pics?