1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Price of Neptune’s Pride

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Aug 2010.

1. Kenny_McCormick

Kenny_McCormick Minimodder

My game is Tau Kaus Media, just in case anyone is in.

2. ury2ok2000

ury2ok2000 What's a Dremel?

Perhaps I don't understand, but the game really isn't free from what I'm seeing.

Oh you can join a FREE map (with whomever else decides to jump in), but if you go to create a game you have to buy credits?!!

And the price of the credits is pretty ridiculous. The cheapest among is 20 dollars. Really?

I went and told everyone in my office to try and get a game going only to find this out?

Really disappointed.

(There is an open game with no players it's just that anyone can join --if I don't get 8 players and we don't all log in at the same time it won't work). Just seems crappy to me.

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

It is free to play games with random strangers, essentially (though the player base is small, so you often can get lumped together if you enter at the same time). It costs to host a private game which others can then join for free, or a premium game for dedicated players only.

The cost can seem a lot, but bear in mind two things:
    1) The average game lasts a month and supplies a lot of play time, so you really are getting value for money
    2) You really only need one person to buy the credits.

If you have ten people wanting to play, have them all put in £2 or so and buy one batch of 50 credits. One person makes a game that is free for others to play, but puts a password on it so only the right people can join. That's essentially what we did and it means you end up paying £2 for a game that is really interesting and new and which will provide you with plenty of play time and stories.

If you want to cry about anything, cry about the lack of a comprehensive tutorial explaining things like Tech Transfers and Alliance systems, not the paltry cost of a game which lasts one month!

4. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Looks good, will have to give it a go at some point. I'm currently playing Astro Empire's, like a polished Ogame but without all the tedious fleet / res saving.

5. Kenny_McCormick

I really liked to see an advanced diplomacy system. I'm not too god with the military thing but I do well with economics and investigation. It would be great you could choose allies, enemys, protected and neutral relations.

- Allies: no attack, trade
    - Enemy: attacks, no trade
    - Protected: no attack (troops can go through his territory), tributes
    - Neutral: maybe attacks, maybe trade

6. Toka

Toka Minimodder

These names are all a little Ian Banks

:clap:

7. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

That system is already there. You can trade, ally, declare war and request help through the use of the in-game communication system. The whole idea is that there is no "set rule" for how you interact with other players. If you want to fight, fight. If you want to trade, trade. You basically set your own diplomatic boundaries.

8. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

A good way to fail a uni course?

9. Kenny_McCormick

I mean, the only way to win is total annihilation. You can not pact an alliance win or you and your protecteds.

10. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

They're all exactly Iain Banks.
    They're named after Culture ships obviously. :D

11. GravitySmacked

I, for one, like your naming convention!

12. mooseguy

mooseguy Crazy Moose

Heh, the game I'm currently in has a majority of BT readers...

I've named my fleets after HL2 characters. Gordon, attack!

13. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

Oh god this looks like it works on the iPhone as well, which would completely ruin all productivity (and my battery life), this will be one of the only times I would be relieved that someone told something was Flash Based...

14. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

It is flash-based.

But, as Jamie has proven, you can force it to work on iPhone through the use of VNC

15. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

OMG ur from BT too???? LOL no wonder the name sounds familiar!! ROFL!

so i saw Garfy and Phalanx... but who else from BT is in there? hmmm.....

i see what u did der.....

but i agree. dont worry about weapons if ur heavy on defending and expanding... since defender get a +1 weapon and first initiatives. i really like that system.... with similar power or even slightly underpowered, u can still comfortably defend a star.

As for more additions or rules, i actually kinda like this whole "no set rules" where YOU make ur own rules.

This game is like chess with 8 players with negotiations. simple rules but tons of strategy. wicked.

16. Sanien

Sanien What's a Dremel?

Is it a good idea to start your first game without a single clue of what your doing? I accidently bought science tech straight from the begining and left no money to buy industry or economi argh!!!!

17. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

18. Garfy400

Garfy400 Master of the Universe

Not even a week into my first game and I think my closest ally has betrayed me.
    And it makes me want to play it more not less.

Damn this game gets it's hooks into you.

19. GravitySmacked

Generally how much time per day do you need to put into playing this game out of interest?

20. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

ull be fine. i actually kinda regret i didnt put money on science in the beginning... later on when u start crossing borders, thats when u wanna pump econ/industry to send more ships flyin towards ur adversaries!

but yeah, this game is completely noob-approved. u got all the time to learn the first few days, and communicate, and learn.

by the time ur ready to start more actions, u will get the hang of it

its like playing chess with 8 people at the same time, which u can negotiate with, and every move takes a couple hours.

easy to learn. very challenging to master.
    very much so. very much so.

and, um... may i ask who betrayed you?

:p
    need?

15. probably 30.

want?

well that depends how deep you are in the game... it starts from 10-15minutes, to about 100x 10min due to paranoia of the game progress....

Tags: Add Tags