1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking How far to clock my GPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zinfandel, 16 Aug 2010.

1. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

So I'm just tinkering about, I downloaded EVGA Precision and was wondering how far to clock my GPU and in what steps I should clock.

Currently thus

GT 240
    Core - 550 Mhz
    Shader - 1340 Mhz
    Memory - 790 Mhz.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Zinf

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

buy a new card ?

GT 240 is very underpowered and any overclock you make will have very little effect on your frames to be honest probly less than 10% and even thats optimistic

3. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Overclock until it becomes unstable, and then back down a little? Gains from GPU overclocking tend to be marginal at best (exclude your GTX460/HD5850/whatever your favorite card is, I'm not flaming) so there's not much point bothering in it anyways. Not sure if I understand the question.

Furmark is your friend.

4. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

I only bought it yesterday ;).

It's a long story but I'm just messing around before a new build so just testing it out.

5. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Aye, I'm just running it now. I'll see how we go.

Cheers folks.

6. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Generally, with any day-to-day overclock, what you'd ideally want to be doing is finding the highest point of stability, and then backing down from there a bit, rather than getting to the highest stable point. You'll sometimes find that your overclock is stable for most games, but there could be one game which is particularly intensive which will knock your overclock off it's feet (I found this with Crysis, for example). This is all because, as SlowMotionSuicide said, GPU overclocks don't yield huge performance increases that often, and with so many pre-overclocked cards out there, the point of instability is often much earlier than you might think.

I'd also use games for stability testing, rather than benchmarks.

7. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

Cards like the HD 5970 can gain 15fps from massive overclocks to 1GHz. Takes it from 5850 crossfire performance to over 5870 crossfire performance. However, without voltage tweaking, you can't do much with graphics cards.

8. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

I managed to wrangle out 1000 ish points on 3d mark 06 so I'm happy enough with that!