1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Most annoying install ever

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Zinfandel, 16 Aug 2010.

1. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

I'm not a hardcore gamer, I don't play many modern games so I might just be out of touch.

I thought installing GTA IV was annoying but I've just installed Frontlines, Fuel of War.

I've had to download 2.3gb worth of patches and install them one by one (Might be my imagination but I've only ever downloaded the most recent patch which has included all updates).

All in all it's taken 3 hours to install... Are all modernish games this infuriating to install?

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

No, but it wasn't worth going through it for this game. I paid €2 for mine in a Steam sale and i felt ripped off...

3. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Probally the most awkard game to ever get up and running.
    GFWL doesn't help the matter either

4. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

I only paid a fiver for it so if it's gash I'm not too worried but still.

GAH!

5. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Its a great game when you get it running.
    Although you will need a quad core as it does not run very well on pc compared to xbox or ps3

6. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Only on a Dual Core, not a great one either!

Ah, it be right.

7. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

installing SupCom 1 is always an ordeal - the autopatcher doesnt work properly.

other than that any game which uses GFWL is a culprit (GTA4, Dirt2, Batman:AA).

8. murraynt

murraynt Modder

You also have to sign into rockstar live.

9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yes! What is up with SupCom1 it was a nightmare to get up to date! In fact, I uninstalled it and gave up. Now I just play SupCom 2, maybe I should go back and give it another go.

I'd also like to add DOW2 to the above list.

Finally: Frontlines Fuel of War is not worth your time or money in my opinion.

10. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

I bought it to see if the online was any crack since apparently it's not too bad.

Just gave the game its self a whirl and it seems alright. A bit arcadey but I'm not complaining for a fiver.

As for Sup Com, I never actually updated it! God I love that game.

As for GTA IV. It's not just having to sign into that stupid social club but the whole menu layout is just awful... And having to go through the game to get into multiplayer is stupid.

11. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Is sup com 2 any good? I read some bad reviews and didn't want it to spoil my view of the first!

12. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Your missing out, one of the Sup Com patches added some extra units IIRC.

I never found Sup Com too bad, once you've got all the patches, you've just got to make sure you do them in the correct order, can take a while, but its worth it, :D.

I'd also nominate WoW for being ridiculous, the number of times I've had to download gigs worth of patches for my mate, his WoW installation is 20GB!!!

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Well that really depends!

It’s definitely not as in depth as the first, less units, graphics are supposedly lower res (though the battlefields designs are a lot more varied), and from the Amazon user reviews it appears that a lot of the hardcore SupCom1 crowd hated the game. From what I played of SupCom1, (and this is coming from a massive T.A fan), I found it a little too slow, and a little too desolate to look at (I’d just got World in Conflict at the time). I’d say SupCom2 decreases the scale, and the learning curve.

For me (more a casual gamer), SupCom2 is a far better experience, you can jump right in, it doesn’t take too long to learn, and there is still enough strategy to enjoy myself. I’d say pick it up cheap and don’t think of it as the same game.

14. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Works for me. Some of the reviews said it suffered consolitis so I suppose if you just treat it as a different strat game it's all good. I bought C&C the first decade on Sat, so that might keep me busy for a month or 12 :D

15. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Oh one more annoying thing, the bloody box had THREE of the tri-peal (Technical Sticker!) labels on.

THREE!

16. nuc13ar

nuc13ar What's a Dremel?

i agree that the gta install is terrible, plus they installed stuff on my recovery partition. the way i found out was cloning a 500gb to this velociraptor 300gb. yawl know i got the low disk space error upon being greeted by the windows vista environment. so i slaved the drive in another machine and used paragon se to format the recovery partition as quick and dirty fix. when i started the game, rockstar said i had to reauthenticate the game suing the serial. but i was just leaving the disc in and misplacing the rest in this hovel. so i had to google and find that the serial can be found using the registry. bleh. so how are people playing in multiplayer? i never see anyone, not even when playing in the morning (EFLC players show up then).

17. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

no game has ever really been a pain in the ass to install for me. now patching... thats a whole 'nother story.

i still can't seem to be able to patch crysis to 1.2 or 1.21. :wallbash:

and don't even get me started on patching Company of heroes from 1.0. it was worth it though, multi is awesome.