1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Photo of the Day

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by bentleya, 25 Jul 2009.

1. flashcurd

flashcurd What's a Dremel?

2. Tim S

Tim S OG

Really like picture 1, but it needs a slight crop. The structure (the support for the football stadium?) that's very close to the right hand edge of the screen bothers me somewhat - it either needs to be included in its entirety or excluded completely... right now, it's neither in the frame or excluded and so it looks a bit uncomfortable. Aside from that, the rest of the shot is really nice.

Picture 2 would really benefit from some softer lighting either at the start or end of the day; aside from that, there's nothing wrong with the image but it just lacks that much-needed pizazz from some special light.

3. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

The first one was actually taken from the top of the keep in Cardiff Castle. I already cropped out part of a clock tower from the right which in turn cropped into the stadium's support. I figured it was better to leave it that way, preserving details in the rest of the picture rather than to continue cropping.

Actually, I've been waiting a long time to take a half-decent city skyline. Truro is nice, but isn't exactly big and Penzance is... well it's a bit poo.

The second one is pretty much my every trip to Gloucestershire in one picture. It's always been hazy when I've been there and because we're with family, tripping out to take these shots at sunset is pretty much impossible.

We took a day trip out to the Welsh border to Symonds Yat Rock. The town below is lovely and canoeing seems to be big business there, but the midday light is just horrible for photography. That was the best of a bad lot and pretty much saved by the one filter I actually took with me.

4. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

5. fabler

fabler What's a Dremel?

@Tim S

#1 is nice shot.

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

I didn't say it wasn't - the structure on the right that's not quite in the frame bothers me somewhat though. :)

Anyway, here's my latest upload.

[​IMG]

Shot with a 5D Mark II, TS-E 24mm F3.5L II (some downward shift, but I forget how much), polariser, 0.6 HE grad and a manual white balance.

I find I'm spending much more time mulling over an image nowadays, instead of just processing and dispatching it ASAP. I think that's helped me to focus a bit more on exactly what prompted me to make the photo in the first place. :)

I actually reduced saturation in this image because the glow on the rocks was so intense.

7. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Already commented on Flickr, but that's great Tim :)

8. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Things get a bit 'Wicker Man' out near Pendeen; at least, that's what I tell all the tourists. Great shot though and good job pulling the colour out of the sea.

[​IMG]
    Large

Okay, so cropped in to the right an lost the support. Burned the clouds a bit around the top edge to make up for the sky that was lost.

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

That looks much better IMO :thumb:

10. stonedsurd

Yah!

Here's one of the Federal Building and Wilshire Boulevard at night:
    [​IMG]
    (click for big)

11. fabler

fabler What's a Dremel?

@Tim S
    Sorry, It wasn't for you. #1 nice shot was for Silver51.

@stonedsurd

Nice long exposure. :D

12. stonedsurd

Thank you, Fabler.

13. Deegee

Deegee What's a Dremel?

"Helter skelter #2"
    [​IMG]

This 50D seems to be a very capable camera... dunno how I ended up with it. ;)

14. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

In the smaller size it very much looks like a painting.

15. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

16. stonedsurd

[​IMG]

Silver51 inspired me to go and shoot some skyline/cityscape/thingy. Nowhere near as good.

What does it need to make it nicer?

EDIT: Click for big.

Last edited: 20 Aug 2010
  17. Tim S

Tim S OG

Night skylines tend to look their best about 20-30 minutes after sunset when the sky is still not pitch black, but a dark shade of blue. Buildings tend to be lit up, but still stand out from the sky (because there's still some diffused light reflecting from above) as they haven't faded into darkness. It works best when the sky is clear. :)

This is a pretty good example of that: http://www.enjoyengland.com/photos/paulagraphy/891/

18. fabler

fabler What's a Dremel?

19. stonedsurd

Roger that.
    The sky around LA is *never* blue at night, but I see what you mean. I think I'll spend an evening up at the parking lot with a bunch of fags and see what I can do as the day progresses into the night.

20. weasal

weasal What's a Dremel?