1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Does anyone else at uni think the hols are too long?

Discussion in 'General' started by stuartpb, 18 Aug 2010.

1. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

I'm starting my second year at uni soon and these summer holidays seemed to have dragged to high hell at the mo. I don't have my first lecture till the first week in October, so I still have over a month left till I go back. Does anyone else think the holidays are too long?

As my course is part-time, I still have another 4 yrs to do, so I am hoping that the summers will be a lot more demanding towards the end of the course. I've done some reading and studies to keep my mind ticking over, but this long gap between studies gets boring.

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

If I'd still been at uni for a summer break, I'd probably have been working, so I can't say that any extra time to build cash for the inevitable colossal outgoing that is going to uni would be negatively welcomed.

I can see what you mean, though, as even with the 3-4 week break over Christmas I was bored to tears by the end of it.

3. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

I think it's a case of I had got used to going three nights a week after work, and studying in my spare time. Now it's chilled out for the hols, time seems slack. Then after the long break, I've got to get used to it being full on again:D

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

they use to drag on, but finding a job in the hols helped big time towards saving up cash.

5. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

I guess the long holidays are more beneficial for those studying full time than for part-timers then. I never thought about the financial aspect for full-timers.

6. sesterfield

sesterfield What's a Dremel?

They work out well for me as I study full time, but spend every holiday working at a company in a "subject-related" field. It means that I can earn a bit of money to pay for uni termtime and also keep my seat warm for when I graduate :D

7. Mitcian

Mitcian What's a Dremel?

I wish I had long holidays again.
    3rd year of a medical degree and onwards, one should not expect more than a month off at summer and 1-2 weeks at Xmas and Easter.

The most annoying thing is it's not really worth getting a summer job for 1 month so I end up being more bored with a 1 month holiday than I ever was with 2+ months

8. Vigil

Vigil Not geek enough

I must be lucky, I get 2 months this time between 3rd and 4th year.

Afterwards, our uni changed our course lately and now we get 3.5month between 4th and 5th year for electives.

I usually try to get a summer project or something in uni to keep from getting bored and also get a bit of money. They usually run from 4 to 8 weeks and I managed to blag a place.

9. Mitcian

Mitcian What's a Dremel?

I got a long time to wait before my elective, they have recently been moved to end of 5th year after finals :(
    The long hols for me were 1st and 2nd, once one gets to clinical years the uni really eats into your time off.

10. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

It's going to annoy me a little - I could get my 4 years course done in 2.5 if there were no holidays! :p I'd prefer that - less money wasted!

But I plan on working in the holidays to keep me solvent and at this time next year I'll hopefully be devoting a little time to my RSGB Intermediate Licence.

11. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

I felt like that. My course is 5yrs, it should have been 6 but I got APEL awarded on a years worth of modules. With holidays reduced, we could finish the course in much less time. Considering we are all part-time on my course, the loss, or reduction of holidays wouldn't have been an issue as much. Doubt the tutors would have seen it like that though:D

12. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

YES.

I'm into month 3 out of 4 and I'm going out of my mind. I even started reading the Bible properly, that's how bad it is.

No offense, Christians, but you gotta admit it's not an easy read.

13. hyder

hyder horrible horrible horrible

Once you finish uni and enter working life, you'll wish you had 4 months holiday a year.

Enjoy it

14. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

As somebody who works at university no they are not too long but the student nurses and MSC's are here all year so we are never completely with out students. We do all our project work and maintenance over the summer and there is still always a rush before the start of term. Plus the academics need some time take their 60 days off a year. :sigh:

15. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

I've been in my working life for 21yrs now (since I was 16), and I wouldn't like having four months of the year off, it would become pretty boring pretty damned quick. I enjoy working, and hate being sat on my arse doing nothing.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  16. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Work 80 hours per week from the week you get off uni until the week you get back to pay next years fees and accomodation/living costs, then tell me if it's too long. I can pass 3 or 4 months like it's a few weeks as long as I'm busy enough ;)

The Christmas holidays aren't long enough, because you have exams straight after you go back, then a pointless few more weeks off. I'd rather just have the exams at the end of Janurary (and the whole month to study for them) then go back to lectures the week after they finish.

17. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

I was a uni student and loved the long holidays first summer was spent working/saving/bbqs and booze, second summer was spent travelling Peru on the cheap which was awesome! Third summer as I repeated a year was spent playing frizebe and hockey and being with the misses. Was awesomeness! Make the most of your summers, get off here and do something!

18. Mitcian

Mitcian What's a Dremel?

I feel your pain, my boredom reached a point where I even considered checking up on my Experian Credit Report ^^

19. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

This is my last summer holiday, I'm half way through month 2 out of 3. If I could go back to uni and start work now I would.