1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel buys McAfee

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 20 Aug 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Didn't the BBC get this story yesterday?

3. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Hardware antivirus? please, no.

Anti-virus software has caused more grief with games than anything else. DO NOT WANT.

4. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Intel and AMD are going for the virtual system management which will be real time monitoring using their remote managed services. Every component would be able to tell the monitor what condition its in and whether its about to fail and cause panic on the system. This communication must be secure and maybe buying McAfee will help secure the process without using a third party security provider. So it will be all bundled together. Nice plan and it will surely help link the hardware with the software a lot easier.

5. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Maybe this will result in anti-virus that isn't bloated crap, for once.

(i swear AV uses up more processor cycles than anything else on my system)

6. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

I actually feel quite excited about hardware antivirus.
    I agreee that antivrus software can cause havoc with games, but so can firewall software. And most (if not all) of us have introduced a hardware firewall to our systems in the last 5 years.
    This also causes a bit of a pain with some games, but its quite a simple procedure to get it working.

It interests me though that even though we all have a hardware firewall, many people (myself included) don't fully trust them, and still have a software firewall as well.
    Intel will have to accept that even if they make an excellent hardware antivirus, it will take a lot to convince people to drop their software antivirus cover.

7. billysielu

billysielu Minimodder

So will hardware fail without downloading up-to-date virus definitions?
    What if your hardware gives you a false-positive? How can you recover?

8. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

My understanding is that it will "sit" between the hard drive and motherboard and monitor "normal activity". If something abnormal happens it blocks it and tells you. You then decide whether to let it continue or not. You recover by allowing that particular programme to do what its doing. In exactly the same way that you allow an exception for a programme now if it turns out to be a false positive.
    I also believe they don't need updating as often because they are looking for unusual activity rather than specific files. If a new virus comes out that is entirely new, but behaves in a similar way to an existing one, then the hardware AV will recognise the viral activity even if it doesn't recognise the file itself.

Or am I missing the point?

9. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

OK, so Intel wants to buy an antivirus outfit, but for the love of all that is fair, decent, and good WHY BUY MCAFEE?!?!?! They're not really known for their effective scanning technology whether it be performance-related or malware-related.

10. Skippylee

Skippylee Now then!

Apparently this was a mistake!

Intel CEO: “We need antivirus, can someone buy me McAfee?”
    Employee: [Few hours later] “Done.”
    Intel CEO: “Great, which version?”
    Employee: “Version … ?”

DragunovHUN, Mraedis, Otacon and 3 others like this.
  11. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

I lolled.

Have some rep.

12. tripwired

tripwired Deploying Surprise in 3... 2...1...

Don't forget, it's not just Antivirus they do, McAfee also provide / own the popular 'SafeBoot' system encryption software, used in many corporates.

13. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Skippylee - my friend had that on his facebook page this morning, gave me a right good giggle.

Now doesn't anti-virus play hell up on all forms of downloads/games, imagine trying to update your BIOS now >.< EXPLOSION!

14. Skippylee

Skippylee Now then!

Yeah m8, I saw it on twitter. It had to be shared in this thread though... it's very funny

15. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

save a lot of people from themselves

16. Cogwulf

Cogwulf What's a Dremel?

I see many potential anti-trust lawsuits in intels future. If intel starts releasing hardware which has an anti-virus suite tied up to it, it could block other companies from selling anti-virus software to work on those systems. Unless intel hands out licences for other companies to develop software for the new hardware.

17. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

McAffee don't just make anti-virus tech, they also bought the company that provides the encryption software that the MOD, NHS etc use, as well as offering many other security products, so it could have nothing to do with there (IMO mediocre) AV package.

18. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Bloody brilliant! :thumb:

I myself have no idea what to think of this... I'll just sit back and wait, as usual.

19. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Can't they use AVG instead?

20. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Time for you to upgrade. I've never had any problems with games caused by anti virus software.

Anyway this is potentially good news for some people as McAfee recently bought Tencubed, who make WaveSecure.

Tags: Add Tags