1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Warning on using PayPal to pay for Steam games

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by pandoraocicat, 16 Aug 2010.

1. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I really hate to say "I told you so".

But in fact I did tell you so.

P

2. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Well despite all the confusion there, I think I can safely say that I won't be using pay pal with steam anytime soon!

I hate pay pal anyway... The amount they rob from you when people pay you on eBay is just extortionate.

The OP was treated unfairly and paypal seem to be the ones who don't really care!

3. pandoraocicat

pandoraocicat What's a Dremel?

I finally got a respnce from paypal in form of an online questonaire on how they delt with the matter.

Im confused here. If a company dosent reply to any emails, dosent answer any questions when you phone them. How can they then turned round and ask your opnion on how they delt with it. :wallbash:

And yes I did go and buy the borderlands midweek special with dlc as well from steam :)
    And I used the trusted visa to pay with it.

4. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I would make a claim against paypal for the hassle, waste of time, stress, embarassment and general problems they have caused, personally. Plus the fact they can't even tell you WHY they did what they did. If you present all the information you have to a small claims court, I think you'd probably have a case.

5. trekkypj

trekkypj Forward Momentum!!!

Actually the same thing happened me three months ago. Slightly different in that the payment was accepted and then Paypal investigated the transaction, as they somehow thought the details of the card and those supplied by the site didn't match. I had nothing but hassle trying to get Paypal to sort it out.

I think Steam were being rather harsh, to be honest. Couldn't they simply block the game that hasn't cleared? Something they need to look at, there.

Also, PayPal support is rubbish in my experience. When they locked my Paypal account for no reason, I had to scan and upload my passport and that wasn't good enough. I ended up having to fax a utility bill to them (and I'm in Ireland so had to pay extra for this) just to get them to unlock my account. Needless to say, haven't used it again since. I jumped through all the hoops.

And do you know what I was buying? A sodding Penguin Classics 'Great Expectations'' mug for £7.99 from Bloomsbury. It wasn't a case of there not being funds, somehow Paypal decided I was using hax n xploits to try and scam my own account. Why? Because I was buying from the UK, looks like. :wallbash:

Anyhow it was sorted. But a terrible experience which went on for three weeks!

Use a Visa Debit if at all possible; a lot of banks use them as ATM cards now.

6. Physicsman

Physicsman What's a Dremel?

The initial warning of using Paypal with Steam is definitely valid, so thanks to the OP! I'm definitely not using Paypal with Steam anymore!

I too have had a transaction (4 months ago) reversed for no reason by Paypal - luckily not to Steam but to the Nikestore. Paypal didn't even tell me they had reversed the payment, let alone why! Just thanking my lucky stars Paypal never reversed a Steam payment or I'd have suffered the hassle the OP did.

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

To be fair, while he was whining about it a bit, its put me off using paypal for steam.

8. pandoraocicat

Well dont bloody believe it almost a week to the day and its happened again. Tried to log into steam today and account disabled yet again.

Cant belive it just totally sick of this.

Steampowered yet again for no warning. havent done anything since it was restored and account disabled again. No email no communication nothing.

9. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

Madness, hope you get it sorted again.

Also, can anyone in this thread who said "cry", "whine", "whinge", "boohoo", or "the op is a whiny bitch", please PM me your addresses so I can come round to your houses and have a hissy fit in a flowery dress.

<NB: Bindi might have edited this post to remove unnecessary aggression /Bindi>
    <NB: aggression yes, unnecessary no, hissy fit, definitely not>
    <NB: Bindi: If you want to roll with an such an attitude against others here you won't last long.>
    <NB: whilst you defend that kind of behaviour, I am perfectly happy to get banned anytime. People who talk like that to a stranger deserve my aggression>

Last edited: 27 Aug 2010
  10. pandoraocicat

it was [aid with visa and this was responce to my last question.(they gave me 5 days to pay for game which i did. So im asuming this has been an error and due to 5 days to pay for game beeing up that someone hasnt noticed i bought the game as required. But as no customer support on weekends wont know this till sometime next week.0

But paid with visa and its being debited from account. and last message i got from steam is below and as you can see from that all should have been okay.

31 « Message by Charlie on Wed, 18th Aug 2010 10:44 am »
    Hello Craig,

You can send the gift to anyone you choose. The account is in good standing.

Please let us know if you encounter any further difficulty - we will be happy to assist you.

But im afraid to say you buy a game cant use it due to steam etc. If this was on xbox or ps3 etc I think there would be a major kick off in the respective publications. Would like to see pcgamer in uk to do an article and get some responce from developers and steam and the uk trading standerds and goverment to see what the reponce is to the draconian inforcment policys from steam.

Would really like to hear from Andy Lang from Relic as steam etc and boxed games are sellng you items as goods but service seems to be a rental service that can be withdrawn without warning. So I have lead and gold few other multiplayer only games that cant be used at all. Only games ive downloaded and can work in offline mode can be used. And since found out some of them are fixed by steam so they screw up in offline mode.

So im going to try gamersgate instead. As once youve downloaded game you dont need to access gamersgate to play game.

So bought game again as requested. (for the full price) bought borderlands so Steam shafted me for another £27.

Maybee i got disabled again for using my countrys ability for free speech.

11. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

Gamersgate requires online activation as well (though during installation only) so you'd almost surely encounter a similar problem in the event of a chargeback, though you'd only notice when having to re-install. Ditto for Stardock's Impulse.

The only way to avoid this situation is to stick with DRM-free download services like GOG or physical media (applying a no-cd from a site like GameCopyWorld to disable media checks where needed).

12. pandoraocicat

Well was fixed by steam support today monday so back on. Hopefully with no more hick ups.

Finally go online with borderlands and kill some scrags

13. antec900

antec900 Minimodder

And what was the point of your little rant?

14. doom34

doom34 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the info