1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News COD: Black Ops to allow modding

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Aug 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Treyarch are making up for infinity war.Finally some good news

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Dedicated Servers too? Pleaaaaaaaaaase?

4. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

"Treyarch promising to release the tools at some undefinied point after launch"

What they mean is, we will realese said tools when every oppurtunity to fleece the consumer with DLC crap has been exhausted.....

5. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

wow. might actually buy this then.

6. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I think dedicated server are announced already.
    Hopefully we get some free maps like on cod 4:thumb:

7. ed_456

ed_456 The Artful Bodger

Hmm. I sense more cheats than actual mods.

8. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

This is definatly a good thing. (presuming ofcourse they do actually materialize)

9. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

This should be good fun... Can see many zombie,gungame,jump and various other mods on this coming to be awesome

10. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

Well done Treyarch! You are making COD appealing again to me.

11. Kenny79

Kenny79 I own a Dremel!

@ ed_456

This is what a pc game is meant to be like. If there are people cheating there WILL be admins to remove them not some IWNET s*it

12. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

it was not so much the cheating in MW2 it was the shot lag of up to 500ms avg so you mite be dead before you have even seen the other player or both shot but replay shows you have only let one shot off

why i prefer COD4 when i shot if i have an point on him he will die (bit harder to call cheat on COD4 i get accused all the time thought)

13. ed_456

ed_456 The Artful Bodger

I suppose it adds some freedom to the game, and its what a PC game offers over the console games, but how reliable will the admins be at removing cheaters? But yeah, just my opinion.

14. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

You'll get good servers with dedicated admins that make it almost their life goal to keep the server cheat free (god bless 'em), and you'll get ones that are pretty much left alone. Takes a little while, but soon enough you find a community with enough admins to stop this kinda crap and they are often very effective. Cheaters are in the minority, but as we know it only takes one on a server to ruin the game. Those that do cheat, will soon avoid servers they are likely to get banned from and just go for the easy target servers where they can bot each other to death as much as they like.

Best way is to find a server with a website and forums, and lurk there abit, you will soon get an idea of how well they are administered.

15. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

Obviously they have learn their lesson that 90% of the appeal for people was actually mods and dedi servers, so 1 out of 2 ain't bad.

Still staying away from it, don't like the way they are conducting their development since the end of MW.

16. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

LAN play? Our LAN group totally skipped MW2 and BC2 due to no LAN play option. 30 potential sales I guess these companies weren't interesting in.

17. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Same:wallbash:

18. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

What you might not know is that the CoD engine is extremely well known by modders - where there's a will there's a way and all that, so you don't actually need the mod tools to write mods - just maps. If you want a good anecdote, the popular X4 mod for CoD4 (introduced stuff like AC130s and made the game much more tweakable) was 90% made before the mod tools were released. Furthermore, if they're using the CoD5 engine (they are) there will be very few opportunities for them to use DLC on the PC platform - the engine isn't really built for that (it's why IW and Treyarch didn't charge for PC dlc on CoD4 and 5). We'll have to wait and see, though I doubt it.

Treyarch seems to me to be a much more friendly company, though I'll be waiting for a few reviews of the specific pc multiplayer side before I buy.

Since it's using the CoD5 engine, there probably will be lanplay. Treyarch are hoping to recapture a lot of the pc market here - they don't want to screw up something that is significant to a small minority - it's the minority with the largest voices, after all.

19. ryall

ryall What's a Dremel?

So we're supposed to be grateful that they're giving something back that they took away in the first place?

20. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

I think so, it's not like it would dent the sales to much if they didn't.

Tags: Add Tags