1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics HD5970 'Fixed all problems with latest official BIOS' (Added latest vBIOS in post #1)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44432, 7 Apr 2010.

1. Snox

Snox HD5970 Horrors

Ok. So just got round to applying the Sapphire supplied BIOS updates, all applied successfully and thankfully they have made clear that the warranty is not void in lieu of following their instruction. No good though as same problem remains and as this is already the second card this cannot be hardware, unless I am very very unlucky. I will try the BIOS found at the head of this thread but have little faith. Assuming failure here, getting ready to RMA again and replace from Asus instead. At least the MB and Asus will be the same mnfr.

2. kcuestag

kcuestag What's a Dremel?

Thanks ElGreco for helping me fix my iddle clocks :)

3. ElGreco

ElGreco What's a Dremel?

4. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I don't understand how following the instuctions in post #1 is so hard?

I have left links to How to make a DOS bootable drive with the DOS files. Links to the full instructions of how to flash your card from Sapphire plus all the files needed.

I have basically posted all files and instructions straight from Sapphire, which means if you are flashing a Sapphire HD5970 OC edition, You are not voiding your warranty.

Simon.

5. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Do you know which version of vbios they gave you?

The one in Post #1 is v1.26

Simon.

6. technopagan13

technopagan13 What's a Dremel?

Hello there, I just have a quick question, basically I made a mistake without thinking enough beforehand, and inadvertently flashed my 5970 Sapphire (NON OC edition) to v120 from v126. I screwed up and didn't save a backup beforehand, either.

I've found the link here to the v126 BIOS but every link I've seen out there specifies OC edition card.

Will this BIOS work for my non OC edition, or is there another one out there? thank you kindly for any input

7. PeterWar

PeterWar What's a Dremel?

Hi, I couldn't save my ATI 5970 BIOS using GPU-Z so I had to use Winflah.
    I've then loaded it into Ati RBE, reports the following:

[​IMG]

I see no UCODEv, do you know what's happening?

8. rover96

rover96 What's a Dremel?

Thanks True_Gamer

Just wanted to say thanks for all of your work...The updated vbios in Post #1 still resulted in intermittent restarts for me...Win7 Ultimate...

The overclocked vbios you posted has been going for three days straight without reboot...
    Thanks again to True_gamer for all of his help.

Jon

P.S. Damn the efficiency of those EK waterblocks:brrr:

9. technopagan13

Crappola. Well I tried to use the bios on Page 1, my car does in fact seem to be the OC version as it's clock is preset to 735. I tried to input that BIOS with AtiFlash though, and received the message when I tried to flash the first core "Error, P/N is inconsistent/does not match" basically.

Wasn't expecting that.

Not sure what to do to get back to factory default now

10. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Looking at yours, it look like a OEM HD5970, is this correct? If so you can still use the vbios in post #1.

Cheers,

Simon.

To technopagan13,

Ref- I've found the thread re the 5970 bios flash. I tried to post in the thread but the site wouldn't submit my post, I just wondered if that BIOS version in the http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=185918 first page, will work for the non-oc version of the Sapphire 5970 2gb?

I accidentally flashed my BIOS without paying attention and overwrote my new v126 bios with an old copy of v120. AFAIK this isn't the "OC" card... but I can't find the updated version for my card... I'm wondering if this is the same one and if it will work with the 5970 non oc? If you know offhand? I've paged Sapphire as well and haven't got a response from them, just want tof ix this, I appreciate any suggestions you might be able to offer.

Thanks for your time.

Reply,

Right you can use the HD5970 Sapphire OC vbios in post #1 on any HD5970 (Excluding the 4gb versions).
    There have been many people who have flashed there different branded cards with the Sapphire vbios without any problems. Feel free to read throughout the thread with people who have done this.

Cheers,

Simon.

11. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I'm glad you got your card resolved in the end. How are you finding the OC vbios?

As for the EK waterblocks, I find them outstanding. This is why I went with EK waterblocks for my CPU and Motherboard chipsets.

Cheers,

Simon.

12. technopagan13

Thank you t_g, one question, I tried to import the bios with ATIFlash and got a message that said "PN is inconsistent or doesn't match" (something to that effect.) Should I use a different utility?

13. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

That's a very strange one, I can't say I have ever heard of that. Have you typed the command lines properly using -f which means Force flash?

Cheers,

Simon.

14. djustice

djustice What's a Dremel?

Thanks ALOT!
    I have been having issues with my xfx 5970, hardlocks because of temp, had to create a profile in CCC and use over volt tool as soon as windows started.

I have followed this thread for some weeks, what finally made me register and say thank you was the finished overcloked bios.

I did not have the nerve to edit my own in rbe, so I downloaded yours, put it in rbe just to check what you have done with clock and voltage settings (scared to brick my card lol).

and then flashed it, had a bsod and some black screens due to some driver remains after the uninstall, profiles where left, and messed up.

But now it works like a charm so far, been playing bfbc2 for some hours

Now I can run all my fans on my radiators, was left with only 2 out of 5 fans just to keep the temps high enough to not have a cold issue.

excellent work :clap:

system specs:
    Asus Rampage II Extreme
    intel i7 930 @4.3 ghz
    G.skill 3x2 gb F3-12800 @ 821 mhz
    XFX 5970 black edition
    2x ocz agility 60gb in raid0 128k stripe size
    win 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    coolermaster haf 932
    Corsair HX 1000 psu

cooling:
    ek full cover WB for 5970 with nickel backpate
    -ek mosfet WB
    -ek full cover x58 motherboard WB
    (all above in copper acryl)
    -swiftect micro res
    -swiftech xt cu block
    -mist 120.2 radiator
    -mist 120.3 radiator
    -swiftech mcp 655 pump

15. technopagan13

Yeah I sure did..
    I also put in a ticket with Sapphire asking for the correct BIOS... they merely sent me a link to http://www1.sapphiretech.com/global/lib_files/108.zip which from what I can tell is just the older v120 BIOS which I swapped my new one with initially by accident.. :/

Might another utility work by chance as opposed to atiflash? :/

16. rover96

rover96 What's a Dremel?

The only problem I'm having is some micro-rippling/hesitation in UT3...That is probably a hardware limitation.

I'm running a Q9650@4.05Ghz on a Rampage Extreme on my 24/7 machine. DTEK waterblock and EK chipset cooler. Max temps around 40c under load:)

No complaints there...

17. technopagan13

SKU# 21165-00-51R is my SKU#
    Theytold me it was not the O/C card, and that the link I pasted is the "latest" for this card. Isn't that the same version as v120 though?

Confusing.

18. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I'm glad to have sorted out your issues.

BTW the pre OC vbios can be clocked further depending on your card. So you can go into CCC overdrive and increase the clocks further. 1.2v should be good enough for 1000mhz core, but its all down to your card.

Cheers,

Simon.

You are flashing in PURE DOS and not in windows or using command prompt?

Cheers,

Simon.

UT3 is not a very demanding game. Sounds to me like a driver problem. Why not try uninstalling all ATI drivers and then restart your PC then run Driver Sweeper and do another reboot and then reinstall a fresh copy of CCC.
    BTW 10.8 drivers are now out.

What resolution are you running your games at?

Just another suggester, I upgraded from a QX9650 @ 4ghz to a i7 930 and I have to say that the CPU is a bottleneck for the GPU. Here's a link to my comparison Clicky

Cheers,

Simon.

Last edited by a moderator: 27 Aug 2010
  19. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

So let me get this straight. Your card came with v126 pre installed? you then flashed it by mistake to a earlier version v120, and now you got the latest vbios from Sapphire which was v120 not v126?

Cheers,

Simon.

Teelzebub likes this.
  20. technopagan13

The link Sapphire provided works fine it seems no issues as of yet, they told me my card was not the "OC" model, but the ones they provided are not v120, looks to be the new ones. Sorry for the confusion, thx for the help.