1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays £200+ Monitor help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Carper, 22 Aug 2010.

1. Carper

Carper Guru

Hey guys, looking at getting a new monitor. I am after a high quality screen for normal desktop use and some gaming. Looking at spending about £200 but would go to £250 for a really good screen. Thanks for any help given.

2. BiotecVirus

BiotecVirus Everything should use Torx Screws

I would give the benQ G2220HD alook, its much cheaper than what your planning to spend but is still very high quality and you can spend the rest on something else, e.g. a small 64GB SDD maybe? :)

3. Carper

Carper Guru

thanks for the help i have been looking at the benQ and dells mainly.

4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Check out the threads/posts by the forum user GoodBytes. He is really into monitors in a big way and has some very sound advice.

5. Carper

Carper Guru

Been looking at the dell 2209wa it has good reviews and hits the money mark. Anyone got any experiences with one?

6. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

The 2209wa is an IPS panel. Colours, contrast and viewing angles way above ANY TN panel and it's excellent for gaming. It was what I was going to buy before an extra £100 landed in my lap allowing me to get what I have, which is also an IPS.

7. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I use a 2209WA next to a TN display costing nearly as much, and in terms of colour quality/accuracy the difference is night and day. I just can't get the TN panel to match the IPS no matter how much I fiddle with settings.

The only thing going against it is its resolution, as 1080p seems pretty much a standard for 22" monitors these days. However, that's not necessarily a bad thing if you don't have a high end GPU.

8. Carper

Carper Guru

well i have a 5850 so that could handle 1080p only other monitor i can think of getting is the dell u2311h but havent heard as much of it as the 2209wa. also some youtube videos show really bad colours at angles.

9. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I'd go for the 2209. Unless you are a hard core gamer you'll not notice the slightly slower panel or input lag, and the accuracy and viewing angles over the TN panels will be a big bonus.

If you do a lot of work in dark conditions, or watch DVDs in a darker room, the black levels and black bleed off angles can be annoying with IPS though.

[edit]

Here's a vid of the 2311, but every IPS panel I've seen behaves like this with black levels. (skip forward to 5:11)

It's not just cheaper ones that do it either. Here's the Dell 3008FWP I returned for this reason.

It annoys the hell out of me, but others don't seem to be bothered by it. At least you are aware of it now though, so can make a choice.

I'd avoid TN unless you're a hard core gamer though. If the IPS black "glow" annoys you, see if there's a PVA panel in your price range as these offer a great compromise and by far the best black levels and excellent viewing angles although cheaper ones are prone to gamma (contrast) shift at angles. If you can live with the black problems, a IPS panel offers the best viewing angles and colour accuracy however.

I'm not saying IPS panels are crap or anything... it's just that reviews rarely mention this, which was annoying when I was shopping for a new panel recently.

Last edited: 25 Aug 2010
  10. Carper

Carper Guru

yeh it does look quite annoying but you said you returned your monitor because of it, does your replacement have the same problem?

I'm just trying to think of how offer i get a full black screen on my monitor and its very rare. I watch films on my tv so I cant see it being a huge problem. Unless you get it when web browsing and normal everyday use.

11. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

That level of back light glow is a fault rather than just one of those things you have to put up with... on a IPS panel. On TN's back light bleed and fading blacks is a 'norm' at least at the sub £200 price point.

If it's in budget, get the 2209wa ...before they discontinue it... it's been around 18 months now and is still the best 22" IPS as far as I know.

12. Pookeyhead

No.. I got a refund and bought a more expensive S-PVA panel instead.

However, it wasn't a fault, and a replacement would have been exactly the same.

I beg to differ. I looked at a replacement in Scan when I took it back. It was identical. The video of the U2311 above exhibits the same effect. I also considered the NEC LCD3090WXQi, but You tube and forums are full of people demonstrating the same thing. IPS panels without the A-TW polariser all exhibit this effect. The larger the screen, the greater the effect, but unfortunately, no one makes a IPS panel with the A-TW polariser any more.

If it bothers you I strongly advise you don't buy one. If it doesn't IPS panels are fantastic in every other respect.

13. Carper

Carper Guru

Just going to get a dell 2209wa from pcbuyit for £230. been looking at reviews for a lot of the night and most people seem to find it not a huge deal and the image quality is worth the problem.

14. Pookeyhead

re: 2209

It gets a reasonable write up on Prad.de, which is a good thing, because they're hard to please on that site!

...but even they mention the off axis black level problem on page 8. It's hardly a co-incidence this, it's not like all these people have faulty panels is it! It's just that few people seem to test monitors in a range of situations. In a bright room you will not notice this.. only when you dim the lights and settle down to watch a DVD, or work on a dark image in PS, or a dark sequence in a game.

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2009/review-dell-2209wa-part8.html

It's just a fact of living with IPS.

I still think it's the best choice for the money however.

15. bartiszon

bartiszon Minimodder

If you don't mind 1680 x 1050 and lack of HDMI 22" (AntiGlare s-IPS) Dell 2209wa is really good product.
    LG Flatron W2220P-BF can be a bit cheaper and it use the same display (2009) or even better one when produced in 2010 + HDMI, but...
    - no 3 years bad pixels warranty (just a regular one) and no USB hub.

16. Carper

Carper Guru

"To summarise, however, the advantages of the monitor far outweigh the disadvantages"

im happy with that not a bad price aswell. Thanks everyone for the help.

17. Pookeyhead

No problem. I wasn't trying to put anyone off IPS... just letting you know about something that most lesser reviews (including the ones here on Bit-Tech I'm afraid) fail to mention with IPS panels.

I still recommend the 2209. Buy.. enjoy.

18. Carper

Carper Guru

was getting round to ordering the monitor today but seen the u2311h for about £20 more. You still think i should go for the 2209wa or the u2311h? its 1080p resolution, 16:9 aspect ratio and an inch better. What you think ?

19. Pookeyhead

The only downside to the 2311 is poor panel illumination uniformity. In normal use you may not notice this, but anything that uses a single colour screen, such as the background in Word or Photoshop will look patchy and dirty in places.

Response time is good for a IPS screen at 10ms or so (similar to the 2209).

Viewing angles are good as you'd expect from IPS.

Black levels are also pretty good for a IPS panel.

Colour accuracy out of the box isn't brilliant with a average delta E figure of 5 to 6, so some adjustment may be needed. Few monitors perform well out of the box in terms of colour however.

If you don't mind the slight illumination uniformity issue, I'd say get it.

20. Carper

Carper Guru

Got the monitor and its great. Would recommend it to anyone. just wondering if you could help me. I am looking at getting it connected to my xbox and ps3. What cables would i need to do this? Im guessing a HMDI to DVI like this