1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: OSIDIAS - Carbon fiber and 3D printed SFF (Jan. 2, 2020)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by craigbru, 2 Jun 2010.

1. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

If you're going to do branding, do it on your lcd panels. That way when the box isn't at shows or whatever you can just look at your awesomeness. I think cut in branding would ruin the look of the case.

2. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

BLUEHORSESTUDIOS I haven't lost a finger yet!

Looking really sick Craig,I'm learning alot by watching your logs.

3. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Lol, well, I didn't really expect all of these responses this morning. They are pretty much unanimous though. I'll ditch the logo. You guys are probably right, it's a bit much. Regardless of any sponsorship, it does look a bit out of place in hindsight.

Barry does bring up the perfect solution though. I should just use the side LCD's. Realistically that's a much cooler option anyway. I can imagine an animated logo there or something... Thanks for the input guys! :D

matt... likes this.
  4. Silent_Raider

Silent_Raider What's a Dremel?

Not to mention you could then sell the ad space on your tower and charge monthly/weekly/daily/hourly rates mwahahahah.... eventually companies will be paying Super Bowl commercial money to run stuff on your epic projects, which can then be used to build more epic cases......... :lol: :eeek: :lol:

craigbru and matt... like this.
  5. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

I like the way this guy thinks! :rock:

6. shah

shah Minimodder

So do I :D

7. matt...

matt... Slacker

me too - he's either in ad sales or should be +rep:thumb:

8. craigbru

Lol, epic idea! Silent, you've got more incoming rep for that.

Well guys, I did get a little work done the other night, but not enough to post an update. Hopefully I'll remedy that tonight. I plan to lay fiber tomorrow!

9. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

wa hoooo!!!!!!!
    cant wait

10. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Heh, heheheh, hehheheheheheheh. :thumb:

11. craigbru

Lol, I can't either. This is gonna be fun!

Haha, you guys... :lol:

12. craigbru

Well, I think I'm mostly prepped guys. I just have to cut the layers of CF down to size in the morning. I've been running the process through my head. I've got less than 30 minutes to wrap 6 layers around and get the outer mold in place. Realistically I'd like to get it done in 20. That would leave me with time to spare in case adjustments are needed. If the outer layer weren't cosmetic, it wouldn't be so bad, but it has to be perfect. Lol, I'm stressing a little. I do have the molds all waxed and ready to go. I've also waxed and layered a small patch of fiber down on a test piece of aluminum tonight. I want to be sure it releases correctly. If not, that would be messy...

13. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

it releases good. i got my carbon fiber and have been doing some test pieces. car wax works wonderfully!

14. craigbru

I was hoping it would. Better safe than sorry though. I really don't want to remake those molds!

15. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

Pre gazmic stage. Sub'd here now too. Fiber fix is eminent. A waxing release ! LOL :D
    Anyone see the MOTM poll lately:thumb::rock::clap::hip::D (had to do it bro)

Last edited: 28 Aug 2010
  16. craigbru

Lol, I hope your into tantra, because it's been a long day. I actually livestreamed the fiber going down, although it was a huge pain. For some reason I thought it was a good idea to skip taping the edges of the fiber. Needless to say those stray fibers soon became a problem as the layers went down. I managed to keep them out of the way, and got 5 layers on before I ran out of resin. That means I'm a layer short of what I wanted to be. Although looking at the finished assembly, it's likely thick enough, but I'm going to give it one more anyway. I had a little trouble sliding the outer mold in place. The resin kept sticking to the mold and pulling it down with it. Doh, why didn't I wrap plastic around it before the mold?! That would have taken care of the problem, and I'd be done. As it is, now I've got to sand and add the last layer anyway. Mostly for cosmetic reasons mind you. The outer mold caused some wavy weaves because of the sticky resin... and I just can't have that. I'm out of resin though, and will have to order more before continuing.

Well, enough of that. On to the pics! Here I'm using a template to cut out the layers of CF.

[​IMG]

Obviously I couldn't take pics while wrapping, but here is the mold all clamped up.

[​IMG]

Now it was time to see if that mold wax release was going to do it's job. I had a total of 3 layers on, so I was pretty confident. Success! The outer mold released without an issue. Here you can see the interior assembly in it's freshly released state. There are a few spots that didn't get completely 'covered' with resin, but it's hardly an issue. There was complete saturation and it's damn solid!

[​IMG]

Finally, I took the dremel and cut off most of the excess fiber. You can see the interior mold is still in place. There's a good reason for that. It is cut to the exact dimensions that the assembly needs to be. During the final cut down, I'll use the interior mold as a guide to make sure everything is cut correctly. Without it, I don't think measuring out where I needed to cut would have been so fun...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this point I've got to get some more resin ordered. In the meantime I'll sand down and prep the interior for the last layer of CF. Then I can start making holes in it for all the components and wiring. Woohoo!

17. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Just watched the video Craig :thumb:. I was surprised at how smoothly the actual
    laying down went. It's clear that the vast bulk of the work is in the planning and
    making of the forms, these are the things that really need to be spot-on. What I
    really like is the nice continuous shape achieved, hmmm, I can see GRP in my future. :lol:

Fantastic, I'm really enjoying this.

18. shomann

shomann Minimodder

Lovely Craig.

I read the logo back and forth and have another option... removable polished Aluminum over the CF, backlit. You have the CNC hardware for the job...

Of course, if you were to add the ROG logo, getting a hold of the GENE III might get a little...easier.

19. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

A Gene III might be enticing enough to put a little "Powered by ASUS ROG" (or whatever) under the "OSIDIAS" somewhere.:eyebrow: Maybe they'll through in a nice fat gpu too! No goodies from them:grr:. well, put a "Powered by L.O.S.I.A.S TECHNOLOGIES" on it!:hip: And I second what oldnewby said.:thumb:

20. Infiniti

Infiniti i modded the wheel!

Wow ive been away far to long!!! this is amazing work man... love carbon fibre must cost a small fortune tho... wish i had ur mad skills