1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Lian Li Factory Tour: Only Ever Aluminium

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 24 Aug 2010.

1. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Nice article. I now understand why LL cases have always been out of my budget. Pity, as I would love one, but I can't justify it when the whole system is rarely worth more than £300-400.

2. Xir

Xir Modder

Well, most cleanrooms look like this, not just Intel's :D
    Depends on what you're expecting from a factory. Automation is highest in Automotive, then Semiconductor then rapidly declining down the chain of suppliers.

For a metal-working company, their facility looks quite modern and clean :D

3. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

FWIW, I've contacted Lian-Li several times, and several (though not always) I've gotten a response. I'd say there's bit of luck involved.

4. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Very nice bit tech, impressive.

Great gerat cases.

RB

5. doggrell3000

doggrell3000 What's a Dremel?

the lian li pc x900 is the best looking case ever built . i am waiting for the price to drop because i don't have four hundred bucks to put into a case . but lian li cases seem to take forever for the prices to come down - if at all . i once knew elvis . should i therefore get a free pc x900 ?

6. david foster

david foster What's a Dremel?

This is a great article but I'll tell you what mate, I'd kill myself if I had to work in that place for 10 years, but that's just me.

7. awlllwa

awlllwa What's a Dremel?

Wow... Ive run all the machines in this feature. I didn't realize that they did all that stuff with this machinery. I worked for a small sheet metal fabrication plant making electronics boxes. I mostly did the machine programming so I did the initial setups, thus i had to operate all the machinery before i set the "button pusher" on there merry way. But we only did prototypes and limited runs, maybe 50-100 cases at a time. I was not expecting a full fledged company such as this to build things at this level. I was thinking they had fully automated assembly lines for each model set up. A side not on that, most think that it would be an entire machine created custom for one product. But its actually a set of infinity modular machines that you can set up to complete large portions of an operation. Once that item is no longer produced all the parts are rearranged for a new product. Cool stuff none the less.

I remember when i started there i built a computer for my boss with a lian li case and he was enthralled with there quality. It actually made him rethink who he had running quality control and used that case as an exemplary example to aspire to.

8. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

Loved the report!

9. motas

motas What's a Dremel?

Lol i learnt german for 2 years! I know about 3 sentences hahaha. Would anyone here be able to put me in contact with someone there? I have tried going through shops and distributors but they just say if its not on lian lis site they cant get it for me. Does anyone here who owns a computer shop be able to give me thei distributors email or ask them for me if they could get me a contact in lian li? I need a replacement io plate for the back of the mobo tray i kinda screwed mine up. I was thinking of getting a mountain mod but postage to here is as much as the case and it would be better to just build one myself they are fairly simple cases. Would the person who wrote the article (cant remember their name) be able to help me out if its not too much trouble?
    Thanks.

10. nuc13ar

nuc13ar What's a Dremel?

i enjoyed the article. i bought four rocketfish cases from best buy when they went on clearance for $50 each. the lian li quality is definitely evident, with the way the drive covers just snap in place. i just wish the fans didn't require so much wattage though. had to use molex connectors instead to stop the throttling.

11. xyzeratul

xyzeratul What's a Dremel?

for high end stuff, they are usually build in some pokey little factory. if u wana see those futuristic clean modern facility, Foxcom is more like it.

Lian Li started as a high end case company, not a OEM factory. my company had some small construct contracts with them.

12. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I would happily buy some B-grade stuff from them if the sold it...

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Awesome article Richard :), Lian-Li are my favourite so this factory walkthrough was great, nice to see every bit of their cases are made under the same roof, best modding workshop ever :D.
    I'd love to see what they would come up with if mass production wasn't involved, like a one off batch of 10 golden eggs every now & then :). Anyway I'm sure I'll buy another lian-li case again :).

14. Icejon

Icejon Newbie of Newbies

Extremely good reading. I love their quality.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

LOL. I've seen some of Foxconn and it's nothing like that. I've no idea why anyone would want to work there. Professionally or on the production line.

16. TheQuadFather

TheQuadFather What's a Dremel?

most expensive gift shop ever.

17. j44

j44 What's a Dremel?

Stopped using cases long time ago :D, but my last was a Lian Li. Had excellent experience the one time I had to contact their support.

18. Repo

Repo What's a Dremel?

Hmmm... case pr0n!

I've had that experience with Cooler Master. Emailed them for a spare and got a reply "we're not supposed to supply spares but tell me what you want and I'll ship it to you". Nice :)

Tags: Add Tags