1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics HD5970 'Fixed all problems with latest official BIOS' (Added latest vBIOS in post #1)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44432, 7 Apr 2010.

1. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Right, so Sapphire have gave you the non OC vbios v126 to install on your card.
    So since the flash your card has been running fine with no problems...Glad to here it. Hope you can start enjoying your new card now.

Cheers,

Simon.

2. Snox

Snox HD5970 Horrors

So now I am completely out of ideas. Two Sapphire HD5970 2GB (non-OC) received, latest one BIOS updated using latest from Sapphire direct under ticket. Same problem - no 3D, but 2D fine for normal Win7 32bit usage. RMA'd second card and went for Asus HD5970 2GB (non-OC), where at least the mnfr would match the MB (Asus 6PT SE). Just installed and same issue again. Looks like my aspiration of three monitor EyeFinity heaven will not be realised and will have to go with NVidia. Any ideas. Only thing I can think of now is the RAM frequency settings/speed etc on the MB. At a complete loss and this must be a conflict of the rig not the GPUs, having used three now with the same result.

Cheers

Snox.

3. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Have you tested the 5970s in any other systems?

My guess would be it has something to do with the system memory. Does it pass memtest86+? If you don't have it already get UBCD: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com

If you haven't already pull all but one stick of Corsair ram and try it then, 12GB often gives more problems than 6GB.

4. Snox

Snox HD5970 Horrors

Many thanks Speed. Will give all that a go and yes I have an older rig I can try it in. Is PCIEx1 but should at least prove the current rigs set up is causing problems. I'll report back when done.

Cheers

Snox

5. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Sounds more like a motherboard problem. I have owned many Asus motherboards including the Maximus Formula (3 of these) and gave up with the Formula and brought the Maximus Extreme which I went through (2 of these boards) and have had nothing but problems with them.
    This is why my last 3 motherboards have been with Gigabyte. Solid build, Stable OC, Excellent board layout, and excellent bios features.

So anyway I would do as Speed as mentioned and try your card in another system.

Cheers,

Simon.

6. PeterWar

PeterWar What's a Dremel?

Actualy this is an Asus EAX 5970, it came at stock speeds, it's not an overclocked edition or anything.

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Well that's is very strange considering the Master vbios vendor is set at default 0x0000 and not Asus.
    Anyway, have you found out what version you have?

8. ryinski

ryinski What's a Dremel?

Thank you!

true_gamer you are a life saver. I've been perfecting my rig for 8 month now and I had my 5970's before the new year and always had issues. Once I threw some koolance blocks on them the noise and performance were better but there were still the same issues. I wasn't sure what the deal was, voltages seemed fine in the system, temps good, b2b cas delay didn't seem to be an issue, northbridge is on water too along with cpu, tested rigorously with prime and everest and 3dmark vantage and the issues remained. I tried your method and I had to drain and disconnect things to do the cards separately and decided to go with your oc profile as opposed to the powercolor ones you made as I noticed the memory volt increase on yours. Since putting it back together it runs awesome. I could never get the memory past 1150 at all before and things are smooth as hell now. Even the vantage feature tests that were normally buggy were sailing. I installed crysis warhead again and it is running consistently above 60 fps on enthusiast settings at 1920x1080 with barely a jitter in sight. I have a fairly good cooling setup so the cards don't get much over 50c at full load now. Thanks a million.

9. ranalli

ranalli What's a Dremel?

I have an XFX Black Edition 5970, after installing the EK Waterblock I started experiencing problems with hard locks in 3D Games and the occasional artifacts in 2D. Neither existed prior. Finally stumbled upon this thread 3 months later, I want to thank true_gamer for my problems are fixed. Appreciate you posting this vbios.

10. Balthazor

Balthazor What's a Dremel?

2 x 5970 (crossfire) BIOS update notes

For those using dual 5970s, your flash.bat file for flashing should look something like this (this is the 'standard' Sapphire OC bios file, used as a demonstration; substitute different vbios files as desired):

Code:

atiflash -s 0 oldocg0.bin
    atiflash -s 1 oldocg1.bin
    atiflash -s 2 oldocg2.bin
    atiflash -s 3 oldocg3.bin
    atiflash -p 0 C0001OCM.AC1 -f
    atiflash -p 1 C0001OCS.AC1 -f
    atiflash -p 2 C0001OCM.AC1 -f
    atiflash -p 3 C0001OCS.AC1 -f

The number after the -s or -p argument is the GPU designation:

0 = GPU 1 Master
    1 = GPU 1 Slave
    2 = GPU 2 Master
    3 = GPU 2 Slave

Each 5970 has a Master and Slave GPU core.

Thanks again for posting these updated BIOSes.

Last edited: 30 Aug 2010
  11. kipas_lipas

kipas_lipas What's a Dremel?

hi true_gamer.,i have a problem here.,i have HIS 5970 graphic card.,i already flash the sapphire bios.,but after i flashed n restart the system my monitor went blank but i can hear the windows login sound in the background.,i try everything but still cannot.,b4 this my problem is gaming after 30 minutes when i quit the game i encounter gray screen n white screen said 'ati driver stop respond n being covered'.,can u gimme advice what should i do now..tq

12. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Sounds like the last 8 months of your life was hell :wallbash:. Anyway I'm glad you are finding the pre oc vbios stable on your system and now you can finally start gaming again.

Cheers,

Simon.

13. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

No problem. I'm glad I have helped solve your issues.

Cheers,

Simon.

14. kipas_lipas

hi true_gamer.,i have a problem here.,i have HIS 5970 graphic card.,i already flash the sapphire bios.,but after i flashed n restart the system my monitor went blank but i can hear the windows login sound in the background.,i try everything but still cannot.,b4 this my problem is gaming after 30 minutes when i quit the game i encounter gray screen n white screen said 'ati driver stop respond n being covered'.,can u gimme advice what should i do now..really need help here..tq

15. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Thanks for posting this up, as some people are using CFX, and it will help them flash both cards at once.

I hope the vbios has helped any issues you may have experienced.

Cheers,

Simon.

16. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

This sounds like you may have flashed your Slave GPU with the Master vbios and Vise-verse or the flash didn't take on your Master GPU but flashed ok on your Slave GPU.

You will need another GFX card to post from to re-flash your HD5970 again or the other option is to try and blind flash which I wouldn't advise, unless you know your motherboard bios inside out.

Once you can post, I would advise downloading the vbios again as the last vbios files you downloaded could of got corrupted during download or something.

Cheers,

Simon.

17. kipas_lipas

tq 4 ur reply.,yesterday i follow all the instruction as in 1st post.,i type like this..

atiflash -p 0 C0001OCM.AC1 -f

after it fully update.,i directly flash the 2nd one..

atiflash -p 1 C0001OCS.AC1 -f

i dunno what to do now man.,should i flash back the original vbios.,i mean vbios that i download from techpowerup database?n then after that flashed with the sapphire vbios?another question.,i already download from techpowerup database.,but can i rename the file name a bit shorter name?

the files as follows..

091023M.bin ( M is for master vbios)
    091023S.bin ( S is for slave vbios )

18. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Yes you can rename the files shorter. This is what I did with the pre OC vbios in Post #1.

Just remember to type;

atiflash -p 0 (Whatever you like).AC1 -f

then

atiflash -p 1 (Whatever you like).AC1 -f

You don't need to flash back to the original vbios to do a reflash of your card again.

Cheers,

Simon.

19. kipas_lipas

so now just need to directly flashed with the sapphire vbios or oc vbios.,n no need to flash back the original vbios?

20. kipas_lipas

oh.,forgot to ask.,my mobo is asus maximus 3 formula.,it cannot post using 2nd pcie slot.,maybe i used other mobo with onboard display.,can i plug the 5970 in the 1st pcie slot.,n boot the machine using onboard display n flash from there?