1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Mafia 2 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 24 Aug 2010.

1. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

I do both actually. Thanks for the info.

2. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Who loves ya baby.

UrbanMarine likes this.
  3. stevemor909

stevemor909 What's a Dremel?

The original Mafia was two great games in one! The missions and storyline were awesome and I spent months playing it and than replaying it the second time through. But the free play with the shootouts and chases with the cops, as well as the bad guys in the cars and walking through the city made A SECONDARY game! It was good enough in itself to spend months playing. I actually stayed entertained for a couple years with Mafia because of the two great elements. GTA does not have as good of free mode, although I have enjoyed GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas, and IV! But even though they spent years making Mafia 2, I never thought they were going to match up to the original. Personally if it holds up as well as the GTA sequels go, they would have done decently. There just arent any other open ended games I like. not even red Dead Redemption which a lot of people like, I couldnt go for the cheesy storyline and cartoonish AI. It just wasn't gritty and realistic enough for me although the graphics and technology were very well done!

4. ian8415

ian8415 What's a Dremel?

Eeek, lots of people missing the essence of these games (including the first), There not here to inovate or have the best driving physics, its to be authentic and immersive in the exprience. I am a big mob film fan, this game really does it for me, and it will for you if you like that type of thing. The cars are beuutifully created and add to the suspense of having an un assured escape in mission, will u run out of fuel, will the engine die, don't crash the wheel might fall off type of thing. I don't want to play game after game of a clone soldier shotting rifles, or aliens attacking something, I want story with depth and mening, and nudey photos!

5. GiantStickMan

GiantStickMan What's a Dremel?

I'm hanging out for my copy to arrive (i pre-ordered the special edition). The demo wasn't anything revolutionary but I liked the style of it and if the full version is just more of the same I'll be happy enough. Good review, seems about what I was expecting.

6. batfink

batfink What's a Dremel?

I'm finding myself playing it just because I want the story to end. It's taken me 9-odd hours to get to 60% completion on Medium difficulty, and several of those hours have been cutscenes, dull A-to-B driving missions or replaying the same shooty level because of the regular sudden death moments.

Do you get a freeride mode once you've completed the game? And a pony? I want a pony.

7. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

There's no free ride ;(

I'm only upto chapter 3, but I already hate the charaters ;(

The first mafia story shits all over this one.

8. batfink

batfink What's a Dremel?

WHAT?!? No Freeride?

That's the only reason I was persevering with the 'story'. *sob*

9. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

hmm makes me wonder how much BT would score K&L2......

10. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Pretty sure henry said the pay would be cut to a 1/3 if anyone was killed, i go back to him and he says it's cut because shots were fired, yet i didnt kill anyone WTH, also annoying how you can store 10 cars in a garage with only space for 1 o_O

11. johnny.rotton

johnny.rotton What's this button do?

Completed the story in 2 days around 7 hours in total, now playing on hard and finding all collectables. Extremely good story line but lacks something, I just wish I could put my finger on it!

12. Lukna

Lukna What's a Dremel?

It's like it can't decide if it's a movie or a game.Was looking forward to this game for so long and I have to say I'm bit disappointed.Graphic's are gorgeous, but I would still prefer more action than eye candy.Can't believe I'm saying this, being a proud Czech. :)

13. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

On chapter 4, must say I'm pretty impressed with it so far, I don't think it'll be as good as mafia but here's hoping. Also..

Dunno what all the fuss was about, did it first time with over a quarter of the clock still left.

14. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

Liking the game alot some 14 chapters in, cinematic cutscenes and the graphics and physX implementation is top notch.

15. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

I don't know why this gets such mixed reviews. This is one of the best games I've ever played. It's like GTA but better in almost every way. The more you play it the better it gets. I'm up to about chapter 13 or so now and it's incredible. I don't want it to ever end. It's everything I hoped for and more.

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I have to say, having used PhysX on a separate card I've started thinking "HOW will that metal/wooden fence shatter" rather than assuming everything is made of impervious invisible wall.

As for the stuff flying everywhere and realistic cloth though, meh.

I have to agree with Joe that the story is not wonderful though. I've no association to him. I don't care about him so much and he's appears like a bit of a lazy bum who dropped out the army. It's not the perfect existence, but nor is mob life - it's not like the first game that compelled you to help him. However, I'm only a few chapters in, maybe it'll change. I'm still very much enjoying playing it though.

17. fozmcfc

fozmcfc What you looking at ?

A spot on review, storyline reasonably good, but only medium in length, even compared to GTA IV.

Graphically very good, definately a cut above GTA IV, but it just doesn't hold my interest as much as say GTA IV did. I can't see myself spending 3 - 4 hour sessions on it, like I did with GTA IV.

Definately a game to finish, but not in the keen way I wanted to play the original Mafia game.

Ultimately a game to finish, but then forget. I've a feeling at the end, it's as though I've had my starter and main meal, but I'm missing my pudding.

18. st1x

st1x Surviving on low specs since '86

The in-magazine article mentioned that the reviewer couldnt get past the coupon delivering mission/driving to petrol stations around the city, i would like to boast that i did it first try.

That is all....

19. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

That doesn't mean you're good, it just means the reviewer sucks.

20. st1x

st1x Surviving on low specs since '86

On the contrary sir Druganov, traversing that sprawling complex at 14 fps is an accomplishment, and what the reviewer does in his free time is his own thang.

Don't pick on me, Xonar even bragged about time left over....*points further up the thread*

Now if you will excuse me i have american-irish people to execute....:naughty:

Nic

Tags: Add Tags