1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Thoughts on Mafia 2's Rape Scene

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 30 Aug 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I've not played the game, so I can only hypothethise, but I presume if your character had been raped, it wouldn't have affected the outcome of the game as a whole (as in, the story could still have continued?)

In which case, whether you won or lost should have progressed onto the next scene, but if you lost there was a nice custom 'painful walk' animation to go with it.

3. SoulLance

SoulLance What's a Dremel?

So in a game that dropped the 4 different endings has half of the content cut out (future DLC milking) Joe's big problem is why didn't Vito get rapped?

Mafia 2 pretty much dropped it's status as a sandbox game when it went the over simplify rate. So pretty much freedom of choice and movement when out the window from the start.
    It's not a movie drama with a masterpiece script it's just an overhyped and mediocre game compared to the first one.

Yeah....I do blame the lack of complexity on it being a console port.

4. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

In the game the character fights off the rapists so if you don't then you've failed and have to start again, seems fine to me. You just wanted to see some graphical man loving.

5. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

The story is crap anyway, the whole prison section should of been cut from the game.

6. DarkBanana

DarkBanana What's a Dremel?

You actually bring up an interesting point. Logically, you would think that murder would be worse than rape, but from a society view, it's seems to be the other way around...

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

True.

8. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

When you think of the mob, you think protection rackets, and robbing places, trucks, banks, other mob gangs, betting etc everything. None of this seems to make it into the story though, not a lot happens during the missions.

You get made, and then you and joe in a cut scene are seen living the life, cars, women, beating ppl up and it ends with you buying the house that was in the demo. Yet I never worked for any of that. It's the same with the drug dealing, it's a cut scene.

I don't feel I know the characters besides vito, joe and henry. I couldn't tell you want the mob family names are, or who I work for and who besides the chinese are my enemy. It feels a very half arsed unfinished game tbh.

9. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

meh I always esc-enter the scenes anyway :p

10. Xir

Xir Modder

Welll, if you don't get to steal and sell cars in GTA (not a lot anyway), why'd you expect a mobster to behave like...well...the mob? :D

It's a looooong winter coming, GTAIV, Red Dead Redemption, Mafia II...might as well build a sandbox in my livingroom :D

11. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

If things weren't so PC, you would of got your rape scene.

12. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

you mean if it was MAC would be rapists?

13. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Just watch American History X each time you get to that scene, problem solved.

14. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

plot annoyed me so I went and watched goodfellas again after I was done with it. TBH im kinda wishing I hadnt bought it and instead spent the money on RUSE.

15. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

You've got to be kidding me. I'm playing the first one right now (never done it before) and the story of it is incredibly dull. Drive here, get ambushed, kill 20 people in a firefight made incredibly frustrating by the AI, drive home. So far the only story part of the story was the deal with Frank and even that was unusually lame.

Only reason i keep going with it is i want to see why Angelo gets whacked in the sequel even though the frame of the story makes that quite obvious.

16. The Toy

The Toy The Ticking Time-Bomb

"Point being; it’s not the same thing as Rapelay, which is obviously abhorrent and an entirely different discussion. "

I don't see why you even bring this up if you are just going to jump to an apparently "obvious" conclusion that it is abhorrent and then quickly move on.

You just gave a random opinion!

Anyway, I agree with every other point in this post. I think if you hold up this half hearted vacuous title to the light and take away the nice graphical sheen, it is a very poor game with a very poor story let down, as you say, by its arbitrary comprimises to the integrity of the story. A shallow experience for sure.

17. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

You trying to say that a game that focuses around raping cartoon women is not abhorrent?

18. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I was anticipating "OMG YOU THINK RAPE IS GOOD IN GAMEZ!>"

19. The Toy

The Toy The Ticking Time-Bomb

Yes.

20. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Of course it's abhorrent, as any decent person would agree. I find it odd that anyone would choose to defend such a title.

There is no defence for such titles (Legal or moral).

Tags: Add Tags