1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Lian Li PC-8FIR Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 31 Aug 2010.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

Dont think they're products are worth no where near their sale price I mean £250 for that who buys that?

3. rojo

rojo What's a Dremel?

Someone that doesn't have a phobia of spiders, thats for sure.

4. firestarter03

firestarter03 What's a Dremel?

This has very similar features to the PC-7FN that I am considering - minus the spider window and roof fan mount. It costs under 1/3 of the price of this though!

So the 5870 did just about fit in there without removing the cage right?

5. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Ok Genuinely, why is this £250?!

Whilst the Lian Li brand will add a few quid to the price tag (justifiably), this case is simply not worth its ridiculous price tag.

6. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

looks a bit girlie!

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i dont like spiders.

8. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

The reason this costs so much is because of the red paint coat (also internally) and the special side window. The regular version sets you back considerably less.

Also, I don't understand why the PSU mounting is suddenly a cause for criticism. It's the same as used in the PC-P50, which AFAIR wasn't criticised for this.

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

If I didn't already have the PC-P80R, I so would >.>

Despite disliking spiders, I love the spider case window >.>

10. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

certainly not something i'd consider buying but i can see the appeal, that price tag is fairly ridiculous too.

one thing i have noticed is bit-tech's apparent aversion to aluminium of late, i seem to remember it being a preferred material not so long ago? i know its a soft metal etc etc but it also has a hell of a lot of plusses to it, weight and heat conductivity among them.

11. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

So is that Silverstone case £60 or £70 more? You mention both in the article.

Oh no! Don't worry, champ, we'll get you a nice baby blue case, with a bear on it.

So make one yourself? It's not that hard.

12. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Whilst the caseking.de price looks great, unfortunately it doesn't transfer to the UK. The black version has been £234 for ages: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-233-LL&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=187.

It is pure overpricing in my opinion, what makes this case so much more than the larger PC-A70FB? The A70FB has the same features but much more space inside and goes for just £160: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-171-LL&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=187.

I am not sure many are going to sell at that price. Shame, it is a good looking case.

Maybe sourcing one from caseking.de is a better bet, does anyone know if there are any kind of charges/duties over and above delivery that would apply if I shipped one to the UK?

If not then 150 euro for the case with around 20 euro for shipping means it is loads cheaper than a UK based e-tailer. 170 euro is around £140 at the moment - this is a more palatable price!

13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Or I could continue to enjoy my PC-P80R with its professional finish versus what would have been a less than professional finish if I'd done it myself? :p

14. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

@Fingers66 there can't be any duty applied from caseking.de as you're shipping within the EU. All you've got to worry about is the shipping cost itself. I think Germany includes their VAT in the price just like we do, but their VAT is higher. Caseking.de are generally the best bet for anything LianLi including spare parts I reckon.

OT, I watched an OC3D video review on LianLi that basically summed up the company as providing an excellent 'blank canvas' case for modding. This just doesn't fit the bill: it's already anodised and it's got a side window design already cut out. You're best off getting a cheaper basic model of this or another case and hacking into it :dremel:

Although, with the basic model being so overpriced over here it looks like this model is just a pile of aluminium failcake with a pink cherry on top.

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

You'd have to pay VAT atleast... (there are ways of avoiding this, like getting them to class it as a sample...)

16. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

@Bloody_Pete nah, you pay VAT in the country you buy it from, in this case Germany. Would be nice though, we have lower VAT, at least at the moment!

17. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

The price of 170 euro I mentioned includes VAT (at 19% in Germany) and shipping costs based upon the helpful table of charges caseking.de have on their site. Basically shipping is 19.99 euro for 5 to 9kg (the case weighs just under 6kg according to Lian Li).

So at current exchange rates this case looks like it can be had for £140 from caseking.de. Now that is a better price.

Why oh why are Overclockers charging £234 for it? Don't they want it to sell?

I posted a message to Scan a while back asking what they would sell it for, still waiting for them to update me.

18. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

You *may* have to pay 25€ for shipping depending on how they calculate weight. On the other hand that'll pretty much cover cases of any weight as this covers weight up to 31.5 kg.

19. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

We're not against aluminium, but it can lead to a case being tinny and flimsy - the PC-8FIR was a bit of both. If side panels and the case are prone to denting and flexing, this is far more of an issue than a case being heavy or not quite as good at dissipating heat.

20. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

personally i find it to be sturdy enough, even moving my rig halfway up the country 3-4 times a year (when im glad of less weight). not sure what the thickness is here?

obviously there are trade offs either way, but give me lovely alu anyday. its just a nicer material to look at, to touch and to lift :thumb:

Tags: Add Tags