1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp MNPCtech & Bit-Tech.net case design contest #5 - (Deadline moved to September 1st)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Roboduck, 1 Jul 2010.

1. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

Roboduck Final Submission

Here is my entry for the "Tortuous" MNPCtech & Bit-Tech.net case design contest #5. I wanted to get away from the typical "box" desin and remove as many sharp corners and angles as possible. The design is based around an 18" stainless steel sphere supported by an aluminum spine and base. The doors would be motorized and each segment would retract into the next to reveal the motherboard and graphics card. It would use a microATX form factor and air cooling. The design is accented but illuminated lines running across the body and base. These would be made of a translucent acrylic with a satin finish. The design was meant to resemble an "alien" type design with clean curving lines and retracting doors.

I was unable to finish the design due to several hardware failures during the contest.

Final #1
    [​IMG]

Final #2
    [​IMG]

Final #3
    [​IMG]

Final #4
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 30 Aug 2010
  2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Just to let you guys know, i've started a new concept that'll be my final 4 images, officially its speed modelling since 1pm GMT, so i hope i get most of tomorrow as well, lol!

What is the official cut off time 12pm of the 31st or 12pm of the 1st sept.

3. Roboduck

The deadline is midnight of the 31st. I will be a little flexible with the time but it would be a good idea to get your final post in early just in case. The voting thread will be started on the 1st so no entrys will be accepted after the new thread is started.

Just another reminder DO NOT post renders until the voting has come to an end.

Edit: I will start the voting thread on the 1st but the poll wont open until the 2nd in case any changes need to be made.

4. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

If I don't get a reply to my previous question from anyone soon I won't be able to finish laserhawks design...

5. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

[edit]nvm[/edit]

6. Roboduck

Sorry I missed your question. The limit is at 4 to keep the total number of images down. If everyone had 10 images we would have a lot of problems and a ridiculously long thread just to show them all (not to mention the time it would take to load the page). Im sorry but we have to keep the limit to 4. Just pick the images you think show off the best features of the design.

Edit: I will only include 4 Images in the poll thread but I will add a link to your final design post containing your final images and description as was done in the previous contest. You may post as many images as you want and as lengthy a description as you want in your post. I will resize all the images in the vote thread just to make everything fair and give each design equal exposure.

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Right these images might get updated before the deadline, by just adding hardware items, but basically i think you can see what is what.

Basically i have been having problems with Mocha70 and bad vibrations transmitting thought my floor boards and make such a horrid noise downstairs. So the idea is to suspend the whole case on two legs (technically 4), and use a dampener between the chassis and legs. Big fat soft silicone shocks should do nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Need to throw in a power switch, lol!

If anyone has an ATX motherboard modelled in solidworks i would be most happy to steal it from you, as i don't think i have time to speed model anymore.

Edit, just added a little colour to items, just to visually break it up.

Last edited: 31 Aug 2010
  8. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Very cool idea!

...that would be a costly mother to fabricate.

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

lol, so far i think its the cheapest here, next to yours. Imagine Darks beast!

10. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I thought I'd post a teaser for my final entry tomorrow...
    [​IMG]

11. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

AND... I've finished the drawing started above. Took a lot less time than expected.

This is my unrealistic entry... to be made at an undetermined scale entirely from sexy carbon fiber sheets.

It's a rectangular computer case...
    Inside a circular skeletal structure...
    Inside a sort of tulip shape skeletal structure.

The exterior shape has a square profile... it's a sort of play on the idea of a cube in a sphere in a half-cube/sphere; in a way.

It would take me ages to draw this accurately to scale in perspective, so I may actually have to bust out Solidworks or, more likely, Vellum's Graphite tonight.

Until then, here's my final concept, and my entry (in a rough state, as yet):

[​IMG]

[edit]Super rough realization of the concept in 3D
    [​IMG]
    [/edit]

What do you think, please feel free to leave a comment and let me know... be it good or bad. :)

I'm very pleased with the result as translated from my minds eye.

*j

12. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

So now the question stands - which do I submit as final?

Fibonacci Box:
    [​IMG]

Rope Puzzle:
    [​IMG]

Floating Shard Pyramid of DOOM:
    [​IMG]

or The Carbon Tulip:
    [​IMG]

13. Blooddrunken

Blooddrunken In Flames we Trust

Of these 4 my favorite is the The Carbon Tulip then the Fibonacci Box

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:lol: Carbon tulip. I'd go with that one.
    Roboduck wants a repost of finished stuff, so...
    [​IMG]
    face
    [​IMG]
    tubing (Left out of unfolded model)
    [​IMG]
    opening
    [​IMG]
    fully open

15. laserhawk64

laserhawk64 whattido?

Sorry -- I didn't realize it was a question when I saw it... two days ago... and I wasn't on the compy at all yesterday... personal life is a b**** sometimes!

If I'm understanding you correctly, Aterius, you're wondering if it's OK to scale up the size of everything to fit the mobo better?

You managed to find one of the few engineering concerns I had with that design -- I didn't realize until too late that the box was too small and that cable routing would be rather more a lengthy bit of custom-cable-making. Standard cables would probably have quite a time fitting in that case! (To answer your heat question regarding the base, there's a big hole on the flat part of the dome thingy to let out heat, wires, and glowy helixes [helices?].)

So: sure, go ahead and scale it up. It's just a design; I don't intend to build it. Make it as big as you need it to be for things to work. If you can't finish it in time (I suspect that's the situation at this point) then just post what you've got.

Roboduck: Can you accept Aterius' upcoming post of what he's got on mine as a "final" post, i.e. when he says he's done what he can, that's automatically my submission? That would be very helpful, as I don't know when I'll be online again after, well, about a half hour from now. :wallbash: I'm at home, rather than at my father's, and the Internet sux here.

16. Roboduck

Will do!

17. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

All I can say is that this has been great. I peek in here every so often. Poll opens on the second :D it's been a blast. learned a bit as well. Bonus! Thanks to all

18. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

@roboduck - The "Carbon Tulip" majiggy will be my entry, image here. Only 1 image is needed methinks.

19. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

ol' Dark's a cutting it close.
    @Burnout - I like, but the pattern gives me the impression of a headless giraffe. (Yeah... me and the animal themes.) A cheaper but more time-consuming way to do this would be to spot weld the lattice on.

20. Roboduck

The Voting thread is open! link

Please take a look and let me know if I have missed anyone or if there are any changes to your final images you would like to make!

Polls will open tomorrow!

Thank you to all who participated and a BIG thank you to the contest sponsors!