1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News ARM tapes 2.5GHz processor

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by julieb, 2 Sep 2010.

1. julieb

julieb What's a Dremel?

2. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Wowzers. I want! The 600MHz Cortex in my N900 is just about good enough for me at the moment, but I would love my next phone to have one of these processors in it.
    Intel has an uphill battle ahead of it in the low-power sector. And, if ARM can get this much performance in low-power devices, I wonder what it could do in the desktop segment.

3. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

if only they could get a gpu to be like this i may be able to play GT5 on it. failing that maybe even crysis.

4. Blanx3_Bytex

Blanx3_Bytex What's a Dremel?

Wait a second, Global Foundaries is capable of 28nm production now? Did they mention on what scale?

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

The important question, though, is what is power consumption like - what does a processor like this do to battery life?

I'd say it's on the nanometre scale :p

6. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

http://www.globalfoundries.com/technology/28nm.aspx

off topic: Is it me or does Global Foundries sound like an evil corp? Like the company in Oddworld or the like?

7. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

If you believe Demerjian's rumour-mill (and to be fair, he's had mixed successes) Facebook are experimenting with ARM-powered machines for the improved performance-to-watt in particular tasks.

Certainly interesting now that they're picking-up in performance, clearly driven by the surge of purchasing by smartphone manufacturers funding further development.

8. murraynt

murraynt Modder

it's great to see smaller companies doing well against the likes of intel and AMD.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You do know that more ARM processors have shipped world-wide than Intel and AMD combined, right?

10. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

I don't know if I'd call ARM small, particularly as they're older than AMD. But it's definitely good to see another player succeeding, particularly with a different approach ie not x86.

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's the part that excites me: let's face it, x86 is crufty. As a filthy neck-beard commie Lunix user, I could switch to ARM tomorrow - and if you offered me a 13.3" laptop with ~10 hour battery life and one of these puppies in it, I'd jump at the chance.

It's taken a while, but I honestly think that in the next few years ARM could find its way out of our pockets and back on to our desks. Hell, when the CEO of Intel mentions you by name and says he's "not scared," you know you're doing something right.

12. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Not only that, but they're one of the few successful British companies left in the tech sector.
    I'd love to see a low power (low watt)/high power (high MIPS) non-x86 laptop or even a desktop, but given the prevalence of Windows, I don't think it's that likely to happen any time soon.

Not since the days of NT4 have Microsoft dabbled in non-x86 architectures (WinMo notwithstanding), and I don't know whether ARM have the influence or money to persuade Microsoft to dabble again.

13. Burdman27911

Burdman27911 What's a Dremel?

I'd most definitely settle for a 1.5Ghz dual core ARM processor (28nm) with much lower power consumption for my new phone. We're soon reaching the realm of "fast enough" for the mobile market and it would be nice to see more innovation on the energy efficient front, in my opinion.

14. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Ugh, makes me hate my Curve 8330 even more, with it's powerless 312Mhz processor. :sigh:

15. Lazy_Amp

Lazy_Amp Entry AMD Engineer

Interesting that ARM announced a tape out on GF 28nm before AMD has announced any products on the line. Now, an AMD CPU/GPU/APU is likely a bit more complex than an ARM RISC CPU, but I guess either ARM or GF is happy with how the 28nm process is coming along. Hopefully GF learned something from 32.

I doubt TSMC is happy about this :)

16. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

It's would be interesting to see ARM move back into the laptop/desktop sector again. The more the merrier.

17. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

What would be interesting would be for Microsoft to confirm ARM support in windows 8. That would put the cat among the pigeons.

18. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

I think Intel's chances at conquering the mobile and high-density server market just went down the drain. How in the world is Atom going to compete something like this? I mean, heck, Atom is even in-order, while Cortex-A9 is out-of-order, making the latter significantly more efficient IPC-wise.

At this rate I would expect to see ARM-based PCs appear on the market in a few years time as well :)

Also, while people may think Intel is a huge company, ARM and its licensees not to mention the total number of ARM CPUs shipped each year completely dwarfs anything Intel does. If Intel is an 800 kg gorilla, then ARM is the titan which is about to crush it without even feeling a bump.

19. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Perhaps I'm honestly missing something, but what's the big excitement for ARM about? In my simple consumer mind, the only important thing is that it's fast, cheap and lower power consumption. Now, ARM certainly has the lower power consumption down and so adding more speed to the same power is always great. I'd love having a dual core 2.5GHz processor in my phone. But what confuses me a bit is the way ARM is always tacked on. More often than not the statement is "I'd love having a dual core 2.5GHz ARM processor in my phone". If there was an x86 processor with exactly the same speed, cost, size, and power consumption I'd want it just as much from this perspective! Specifically, Elledan, why do you add a smiley face after the thought of ARM-based PCs in a few years time? Do you simply feel that they will mature to the point of out-doing x86 across the board, or is there a technical advantage to ARM that I'm not aware of? The question is really to anyone, but you seem pretty well versed in the subject.

And confusis, yes. Global Foundaries sounds like an evil corporation! Reminds me of Horzine from Killing Floor. "Science and Steel"!

20. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

'Cause dey turkin our jerbs!!!

In all seriousness, British website, British tech company and an extra choice never hurt anything but margins which is good for us.

Assuming there's no price fixing anyways.

Tags: Add Tags