1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Folder

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by cian1500ww, 1 Sep 2010.

1. cian1500ww

cian1500ww Drunken Irish Dude

Hi all,

I'm a new folder here and I've got a couple of questions about folding.

Firstly, I'm using 4 machines in total:
    Rig 1: Q6600 @ 3.4Ghz and a GTX260 core 216 - 1 SMP console and one GPU tray client
    Rig 2: Core i7 at stock speeds (My web server) - 1 SMP console
    Rig 3: Celeron at stock speeds (Other web server) - 1 standard client
    Rig 4: E6550 @ 2.7Ghz - 2 standard clients

I'm using HFM.net to monitor all of the rigs and according to it, my PPD should be around 8500. I have passkeys enabled on all clients from today so should I allow HFM.net to calculate the bonus credit for passkeys as the PPD it's currently showing wouldn't include the bonus for passkeys ??

Also, I enabled bigadv on rig 2 and according to HFM.net the client type is standard and PPD has gone down to 338 compared to it being around 1300 yesterday. Should I not run bigadv on this as it's not overclocked at all ?

Thanks for your help !!

2. Tesla effect

Tesla effect AKA ZombieKiller1

Hi, nice rigs btw. You seem to misunderstand what HFM.net does with bonus. It calculates bonus regardless of whether you have a passkey enabled, if of course the WU being calculated provides bonus (standard SMP or bigadv).

The passkey is required to actually be credited the bouns by Stanford. You have to complete 10 SMP WU's within the deadline before bonus is given. So if you haven't completed 10 SMP WUs yet the points that HFM.net calculates will not match what you may see when you check your username on a third party stats server like http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com for instance.

You need to OC the i7 to 3.8GHz minimum if you want to run bigadv. Hope this helps.

3. brighty22

brighty22 What's a Dremel?

its a shame you only just got the passkey today, as you've already done quite a few WUs which could have got you much more points. Do 10 SMP ones (will take no time on your hardware), then watch the stats rocket :)

4. cian1500ww

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated !!
    I understand the bonus now, will I just keep that option off until I've completed the required units ??
    I've taken the i7 off bigadv and have it running on the normal SMP but my PPD has dropped dramtically, according to HFM.net my i7 is on project P10874 and PPD is 159.3 which is dreadful compared to my Q6600 which is on P6014 and has a PPD of 995.7. Processor usage is on 100% on the i7 so is it just the particular project ??

I only started folding yesterday so hopefully the points will increase well from know on. Does the GPU client count towards the bonus ??

5. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Welcome aboard.
    To answer your queries;
    - The i7 should be getting you significantly more than that - ensure you have the -smp flag in use otherwise you will be Folding using the single client (check Task Manager as to how many cores are being used)
    - The GPU doesn't have the 10 WU bonus system in place.

6. cian1500ww

Ah ok, yep the i7 is in smp mode. It's on a linux machine running ubuntu server, according to top on the command line its only running one instance ?? That would explain the low PPD, it was working fine until I switched it to bigadv... :wallbash:

7. cian1500ww

Figured it out, didn't start it with the configonly AND the smp so the config was for standard only !!

8. cian1500ww

Quick question: How do you know whether you're getting bonus points or not ???

9. 1Razor

1Razor Living life one day at a time....

i7 -smp @3.8 will net around 16K PPD.

i7 -bigadv @3.8 should increase to approx 20K PPD, once you have the 10 WU's under your belt.

Hope that helps....

Fold on!

10. cian1500ww

Thanks for that, mustn't be getting bonus points yet as I'm getting about 1700PPD on my stock i7 and 1300 on my 3.4Ghz Q6600. I'll keep an eye on the stats to see if my PPD goes up in the next while.

11. cian1500ww

Think I'm getting bonus points now as my total points for yesterday was 9,535 and so far today it's at 8,103 :D

12. Gothic-Yoshi

Gothic-Yoshi The Matrix has you!!!

Do u get ore points if u have a passkey? thats awesome :D

13. saspro

saspro IT monkey

If you're running SMP's then yes. A lot more

14. 1Razor

1Razor Living life one day at a time....

Yes, you have to complete 10 WU's with 80% success rate (ie 8 within the allotted time) to qualify for bonus points. Every -smp completed on time after that, will be granted bonus points.

Points are calculated from when the results are uploaded to the results server, NOT when the WU completes on your machine.

So if you have slow upload speed you may not be granted bonus points if your overclock isn't fast enough to complete in time to upload....

Fold on!

15. Tesla effect

Even with a fast upload SMP & bigadv can take a considerable time to complete the send. Am I the only one here that uses Langouste to decouple the upload so that the client starts working on a new unit whilst the upload is forked?

16. cian1500ww

What sizes are those files roughly ?? Are we talking 10's of MB's or are they into the 100's ??

17. brighty22

brighty22 What's a Dremel?

i just finished an SMP one... it was ~40MB. I swear that's obscene.. :eeek:

@Tesla effect
    Apparently so :) looks promising... seeing as I have 40KB/s upload :wallbash:

18. cian1500ww

I've only got 30kB/s up :jawdrop:
    Better get this set up ASAP :thumb:

19. Tesla effect

Remember to multiply by 8 what you are reported in kilobytes (KBps) for your upstream. Typically, Broadband is measured in kilobits per sec (Kbps).

20. Gothic-Yoshi

Gothic-Yoshi The Matrix has you!!!

how long does it roughly to get a paskey. submitted and they havent emailed it back yet :(