1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Your Opinions on nVidia Graphics Card Manufacturers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phalanx, 5 Sep 2010.

1. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Well I've just been looking online and it seems the power draw is close to the same. Some threads on other forums say people are running SLI 460's on 650w PSU's, so I feel confident with my Cooler Master 850w PSU.

2. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

See my simultaneous post, mkb runs two Gigabyte 1GB OC's on an HX650.

3. Phalanx

Well just looking through the last issue of Custom PC, I forgot they did a comparison of all the 460's in there, and they recommend MSI, followed by Gainward and Gigabyte, so I think I'm going to look at those three.

The noise level from MSI and Gainward is stated as "Is it on?" even when overclocked, which I like. :)

4. bagman

bagman Minimodder

5. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Get a Sapphire!

Trololol.

6. Phalanx

Already got a Sapphire, that's why I'm changing ;)

Thanks for all the help guys, looks like I'll be buying 2 x GTX460's as soon as I sell my 5970 on eBay :)

7. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

+ 1 on the GTX460's I may have gone that route myself if they had been on sale when I bought mine.

8. Phalanx

Well I think I'm looking at the 1GB versions for this.

At the moment it's a coin-toss between the MSI Cyclone and the Gigabyte OC.

The MSI wins for noise and brilliant OCing, but I'm worried about it not exhausting all the air out of the back of the case. Do you reckon that's worth worrying about?

Last edited: 6 Sep 2010
  9. hangten

hangten Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

I'm thinking about the Gainward GTX460 GLH, but can't decide whether it's worth my while stumping up the extra for an HD5870 (probably 1GB XFX HD 5870).

The difference is £88 on Scan, fact of the matter is if I get the GTX460, I could probably afford to SLI it much sooner than I could Xfire the 5870...

I guess I'm trying to choose between the top GTX460 and the bottom HD5870. Thoughts?

10. Phalanx

Fancy a 5970? ;) hehe.

Teelzebub likes this.
  11. hangten

hangten Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

Fancy? Yes.

Justify? :waah:

12. pac-man

pac-man What's a Dremel?

Hoping this isn't a silly question but are x2 460s in SLI > a GTX 295 in terms of raw power?

13. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I believe any manufacturer can make a good enough card. I also believe that most of those cards will be ruined by proprietary coolers that look and perform like crap.

I personally always go for cards with stock cooling. I bought a GTX260 last year for 230$. It was from MSI, which I always hated, and it was about 70$ cheaper than the other 260s... I was very skeptical but the card was a 216 and it had a stock cooler so I went for it.

A year and a half later it still works perfectly

14. bagman

bagman Minimodder

forgot to say if you go with evga that you don't void your warrenty if decide to water cool

i am pretty sure

15. Teelzebub

The 460's dont get as hot as the 480's so I dont think it would be as much of a concern, But if it was me I would want as much heat as poss dumped outside of the case.

16. Phalanx

I'm leaning now towards the Gainward card now, as it's an exhausting card and is apparently very overclockable and decent in noise aswell.

17. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Never had issue with a Sapphire card myself.

---

Also the whole ATI driver issue is old. Their drivers have been solid for ages. Nvidia really aint any better driver-wise. Either company is good. Personally I'd still get a HD 5850 over an GTX 460 because it uses less power. 6xxx series is incoming tho, so right now I wouldn't buy anything anyway.

18. Teelzebub

What one would you go for ?? what mobo are they going in ?

Gainward used to be good but I dont know what they are like now.

19. Sexton

Sexton Minimodder

I have always had XFX's. They do seem a little noisy compared to others, although their overclocking ability and reliability is just unbeatable. I currenly have my GTX 260 overclocked beyond the speed of a Black Edition, and its perfectly stable and not very noisy.

Steer clear of PNY... I had one once (briefly) and blew it up within a few months with a minor overclock. But yep, XFX all the way for me :) BFG are apparently pretty good too, although I have never used one myself.

20. KingSheepy

KingSheepy ?lemerD a s'tahW

I agree, I had an XFX 7900GS for a while, not the best GPU ever but the card itself was extremely well made. Whilst it was indeed noisy, it did have a metal brace along the length of the card to prevent it from flexing, a nice addition I thought.

On the subject of BFG, a friend of mine has a BFG 9800GTX+, haven't heard of any problems. It also has a 10 year warranty so I suppose you can't go wrong...