1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress .○○○PROJECT ROUGE ROBOT, Updated September 7th! Spray Paints/Lights/Braiding!○○○.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by llOriginll, 12 Aug 2010.

1. Nomad2k3

Nomad2k3 What's a Dremel?

Would the titan fenrir xmas edition not be more fitting for this project?
    just a thought :d

It's looking awesome btw.

2. llOriginll

llOriginll Minimodder

Thanks for checking my mod out, am hoping to really get this done before I head to uni in September and most of it done before i40, so keep an eye out! :D And you'll see below my comments about the RAM xD

Hehe, I would've except I'd researched it before hand and was fairly confident that they'd fit :D Just...

It's the Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme with 2 x Akasa Apache Black Ultra's attached in push and pull configuration. Just put another on my back panel too :D

I was thinking of doing this, but the 200mm fan on top of my system pulls more air and whilst this mod is more about the aesthetics, it is a little about practicality as well.

Although, I think that rotating it + moving them to the 2nd slots might enable me to put the heat sink on... I'll have to run the system of prime95 for a hour or two then turn off and just quickly rotate the heatsink, so I don't have to a whole 'nother re-paste :/

I did think about this, but I don't really like the look? I'm considering painting the top of CPU cooler black anyway and then maybe painting my fans red and leaving the outside black :D

Also, soon! Received my package from KustomPC and will be braiding, adding my extensions and cable managing :D Am excited! Just need to find the time ;-;

3. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

Origin, so what is the plan with the RAM? leave it or will you swap the slots? I think you should swap them to the other slots if your mobo permits it. I think it is a big comprimise, aesthetically, to have one of the dimms cramped under the heatsink :(

4. llOriginll

llOriginll Minimodder

You're right of course, so I will :)

I guess I'm just a little reluctant because it involves taking the whole board out to reach the bits I need to get at, and to rotate the heatsink. Plus, I'll need to be quick if I don't want to have to re-seat the thermal paste :/

But I will do it! I have my NXZT Cable extensions in now, just need to remember my heat gun which I left at work tonight (Argos like you said Maximus! xD) so I can start braiding some of the other cables :)

5. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

oh yea of course, thats annoying having to re-paste.

lol, be careful with that heatgun... i dropped mine and it instantly melted a hole in my carpet :waah:

6. Remmes

Remmes Be One With Your Mod

if you don't want to re-put the paste there.. don't take the cooler off... if you take your cooler off you'll have to put some new stuff on there else you'll get lovely air bubbles

7. llOriginll

llOriginll Minimodder

So, tommorow nights plans after I get back from work:

Cable braid my fan cables, my sata cables and if possible my front jumper cables :) Still deciding which to make red or black...

Do me cable management with my epic huge black cable ties and my cable holder slots and awesome new cables (which I jumped the gun with, they look so sexy xD)

Upload all the photos to show you people! :D

Then I need to get spray...

All whilst being in work for the next 6 days :eyebrow:

Um, yeah xD I was going to cable braid inside, I think I might go outside now xD Thanks for the warning!

And thanks for reminding me of this, I will of course re-paste then! I hate pasting :(

8. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

eek :blush: didn't really realise it would require removing the HSF entirely to switch the ram slots :worried:

Apologies for creating work for you but in the end i'm sure the aesthetics will win you over. Its how it looks that matters after all, "Red wunz go fasta!!"

I will miss a round while drinking this evening as penance :lol:

9. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

yea check out the picture the ram is stuck right under the heatsink :(

definately take out all the cables before sleeving them dude, believe me it will be too annoying to do everything inside the case and too messy. You want to make sure your sleeving is perfect ;)

10. llOriginll

llOriginll Minimodder

OK, so this all like, SUPER STRESSFUL

So hard :(

I keep making mistakes etc, I now have all black cables and am about to do jumper cables but I'm running out of the right heat shrink for certain cables as I don't have an un-pin tool so I can't unhook certain cables; not too bothered as I can have chunky cables which I do like, and the NXZT cables are thin in contrast :)

Will update when I'm not stressed out and have finished the cables.

11. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

MMMMMMM...I have to say I like the red on this, it's a nice strong colour..looking good so far.Nice work.

12. flare

flare What's a Dremel?

Really nice consistent colour scheme and its looking pretty sweet.

Grats on the Uni placement, where are you going?

13. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

Hey Origin, been a while, hows the progress going?

14. llOriginll

llOriginll Minimodder

Been a while! We'll get to that :D

Thanks! :D And yeah, the red is a whole lot stronger than the black and black and black I see at LAN xD

Thanks again ^^ Trying to keep as consistent as possible... And my uni placement is at Bristol UWE to study Architecture starting on the 17th September :D SUPER DUPER looking forward to it!

I'm glad you asked! But first, why I haven't updated! Mostly work if I'm honest :waah:

BUT ALSO

Awesome times at Multiplay's i40! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Such an -awesome- event, seriously. Already want to go to i41 as i40 easily surpassed i39. Drank about 32 cans of Diet coke in 4 days, ate way too much bad food, gamed super hard, entered the perfect amount of tournaments (zero), talked to loads of people about their cases and made LOADS of friends with the awesome people on G2. Saw some sick CoD4, CSS and HoN play too, crazy good players are crazy good.

Anyway!

I've been doing some work on my case and what I'm showing here is about half the stuff I've done which I'll show you whilst I finish the other bits :D Well, this bit itself is only mostly finished :p

[​IMG]

These lights, I did not like them clear with white wires. Red chunky braid with red sprayed ends? Yes I think so.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shame that you can see round the edges, but in retrospect I kind of like the effect and I couldn't have possibly sprayed, sanded, sprayed any more times, I think 8 was overkill. Maybe too much sanding? I like them anyway. One may go at the top if I pick up some stick pads but I quite like the shadows cast by two lighting up uber from the bottom.

[​IMG]

3 things here! I took the sticker off the top of the PSU (took about an hour, sigh), I've sprayed the metal back PCI expansion plates red (one is missing, it's going to be black but taking much more work!) and I have my lovely black thumbscrews from KustomPC plugged in there. Oh, sorry? There's some nice cable braiding too? That's not for this update xD

Here's another few shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally for now, I rotated my CPU Cooler so I could stick my RAM heat sink back on, looks much better I think!

[​IMG]

Tight fit though still :thumb:

SOOOO

Next update, many more braidings, some more cable management and hopefully a much more themed case! I should probably get around to actually spraying the front panel too, but it's going to be so much work :grr:

Thoughts? Sorry I took so long to update!

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

So is it "Robot Rouge" (French for Red Robot) or Rogue Robot?

16. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

awesome awesome awesome!!!!!!!! I love your photography as well! what camera do you have? Did you sleeve your PSU?

17. llOriginll

llOriginll Minimodder

Oh ****. I did french for two years at college and somehow I missed the descriptive coming after the noun? :( Sad times >.< Is supposed to be the later, although obviously I got them round the wrong way xD

I'm just using a PANASONIC DMC-TZ7 at the moment:

[​IMG]

Which is a fantastic little digital camera, when I can be bothered I'll get my decent SLR out and do some true colour shots; but I won't lie, you'll realise how pink this system is (lighting wise)!

And I didn't sleeve my PSU, don't really have the know-how or bravery for that yet but thankfully Corsair braid the ends of the cables you can see there, so NZXT cable extenders on the 6+2/8/24 pin connectors gives a fully sleeved illusion, although not individually on the back end. It's a compromise I'll let slide for the time being :p

More updates soon, also no longer have the two lights -both- sitting on the bottom so I get some better lighting :D

18. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

oh thats quite a nice little camera, does it have full manual settings? I got a Canon Ixus 105 recently, just a point and click, the best camera I have had but definately not professional and no where near SLR :(

Have you thought about taking off the Corsair sticker on the side of your PSU? You could replace it with a Rogue Robot logo :D

19. llOriginll

llOriginll Minimodder

I have! :D But then I realised that I'd have to complete remove the PSU from my system to do something to it, that's about 2 days worth of work to get it out, do some work on it and put it back in :grr:

Any ideas how I could apply some sort of logo without ripping it out? Make a sticker somehow maybe?

20. Sunny Sahota

Sunny Sahota Saving up for my new rig

thats an extremely nice looking mod!
    well done :)