1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Why, just why would you ID me!?

Discussion in 'General' started by mars-bar-man, 8 Sep 2010.

1. kingdavies

kingdavies Minimodder

I am glad I'm not the only one who has had this happen to them. I was driving back from the lakes about a month ago, stopped at the services just south of Lancaster and bought a copy of .net magazine from the WHSmith there, I was certainly surprised to say the least when I was asked for ID! Incidentally I'm 21 and used to being IDed anyway for alcohol thanks to my youthful looks, but not for a magazine!

2. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Alternatively, have you tried treating them like adults? They won't behave like them until you do. You can't make your kids not smoke or drink. But if you approach it through level, unassertive conversation, they might give it some real thought.

I started smoking around the same time the government started telling everyone to stop. I stopped again when I realised my parents and friends were all perfectly fine with it. Reverse psychology.

3. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I started smoking when I was a kid, because many people around me such as friends and relatives all smoked... and eventually I gave it a go... then again after a week or so... and again... etc until I was an addict.

I quit smoking about a year or so after the government starting putting pictures of the damaged caused by cigarettes everywhere, as I was thinking damn, i'm wasting money, and killing myself!

4. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I quit when a girl I was hitting on said she hated smokers.

I started again once we were done.

I'm going to quit again soon. :thumb: :hehe:

5. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Unfortunaty age restricted items and retail staff is a bit of a bad area.
    Staff can be held personaly liable for selling restricted goods to minors.

When i used to work in Morrisons a friend of mine sold some disposable lighters to a mystry shopper and didnt ask for his ID. Nearly landed him with a fine and the loss of his job.

Unfortunatly commone sence isnt enough these days. al this Task 21 or Task 25 Bo***ks

Where i live i cant buy any alcohol at the weekend or on a friday in most of the towns if you are under 25! And i am often refused the sale of anything pointy like a hobby knife or screwdriver under the offenceve weapons act.

Im 21, and always produce ID, it smacks a bit when im still refused sale!

And as for out of date ID, Passports ect are not valid to travel, but its still valid for ID...as its still you, you dont stob being you just because your passport has expired! If you have a bank card or pay slip to back it up with they shouldnt be able to refuse you.

mvagusta likes this.
  6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Why are you buying vinilla extract "alllll the damn time"?

7. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

It's Vanilla ;) and I bake. A lot. (Anyone here on my fb/twitter friendlist will back this up).

8. mvagusta

You like to get baked? A lot?

Nice :thumb:

9. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

What eves, it was 7 in the morning and I'm not the one getting baked all the time

10. Hex

You're just jealous [​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Sep 2010
  11. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

No, but it is a bloody good idea, thanks. :thumb:

12. Hex

Would it work though? I'm not saying it wouldn't, you know your daughter. Just that from experience with friends, nothing would make them quit until they decided they wanted to. Even a few who tried to quit because their wives had quit, failed miserably because they were doing it for someone else.

That said, most have now successfully quit. They just needed to really want to stop. :)

13. mvagusta

She might rip down any anti smoking picture that you put up, so maybe just put one up at a time, in hard to reach places so she gets a good look at them before they can be removed.

She only needs to see each one once, and once you see it, you can't unsee it :D If each picture has a lit and smoking cigarette in the foreground, it will help associate cigarettes as harmful, disgusting and deadly.

If it was me i'd be really in her face about it whenever she smokes, or at least immediately after.
    This way i'd be further associating smoking with a headache/wasting money/killing yourself/negative experience.

And whenever it's been a while without a cigarette, remind her about how well she's doing, how much money she'd save every week and every year if she keeps it up, how happy I am to see her coping without them, encourage her to make some tea or juice, etc.

I'd say she'd either quit or move out :confused:

14. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

As with many things, there's probably a level of "you know your daughter best" and so not all advice that works for others may be best, but this advice right here worked for me.

Never smoked myself, but when all of my friends started turning 18 and could legally buy cigs (a few had already been buying from friends, but not enough to sustain an addiction) it got to be a bit difficult getting them to stop. The only thing that really took with them was being a complete jerk about their smoking. Constantly bothering them about it while they smoked, leaving sticky notes on any packs they left in the open, occassionally going so far as to throw some packs in the trash/out the car window if they were going to smoke in a closed area where'd I'd have to breathe it the whole time. Eventually most quit, only one still keeps it up.

15. Hex

To be honest, if I was one of them I'd have quit my friendship with you first ;)

I don't smoke, but if someone took my property and threw it out of a car window (littering is bad too) I'd at least force them to reimburse me and possibly give them a smack in the mouth too. It wouldn't make me stop whatever it was they didn't like, in fact it'd make me do it more in their presence. Maybe blowing smoke right in their little face... Sorry, but I so would! :D

16. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

My wife stopped smoking four months ago, and I still smoke. I went through the guilt phase where I felt obliged to stop because she had, but it definitely does not work. I even tried Champix, the new supposed stop smoking wonder drug, but if your hearts not in stopping, then nothing will work. I don't smoke in the house or near the kids, but I do still enjoy smoking. Especially after a good meal and in a morning. I have tried stopping numerous times in the +20 yrs of partaking in my filthy habit, but have never been serious about it. I do feel the effects of smoking, especially when I am training, and it does worry me more as I get older. I think I will stop one day before I am 40, but I would need to become a hell of a lot more serious about it. Lecturing someone, or trying to shock them into stopping, especially when it's someone in their teens, often has the opposite outcome to the intended one. It did in my case anyways.

17. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

Although I don't smoke, my parents used to. I have asthma as a result. It's gotten a lot better in recent years. No more attacks unless I am around a lot of smoke, or after a hell-load of exercise.

My dad quit when I was quite young, but my mum never really followed. After my parents split up, my dad started again, and my mum stopped for a while. This then swapped around. o_O

So my mum still smokes, and my dad doesn't. I found the dynamic behind when they both stopped and started interesting.

Frankly, I don't talk down to people about smoking, and I don't lecture. I only ask that people don't smoke to close to me, otherwise I'm gonna be wheezing and coughing all day. Everyone knows my opinion on smoking is that it's bad, but I don't mention it because I seriously doubt that my opinion will be the deciding factor. Or rather, if it is one of the deciding factors, it's not gonna be because I nagged them outside the pub every night.

I hope some of that made sense.

18. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Oh trust me, I got a few burns! Turns out people make excellent ash trays. They're all very happy for quitting now, though and troubles from either party have easily been forgiven. Obviously with one exception, but that's his own problem when he gets lung cancer!

But now you've made me feel bad. Litter is terrible. :sigh:

19. soopahfly

soopahfly Minimodder

Easy, I just have my date of birth and a photo of my face, tattooed on my face.

Never get ID'd

20. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

When I go to the bank (Credit Union, actually) and they pull my account a little note pops up on the screen, something to the effect of "Customer gets really pissed when asked for ID". A couple of years ago i went into one of the branches to deposit a check (not cash, just deposit) and they demanded to see my ID. Argument ensued and I finally told them to go get stuffed and went to another branch.

They're pretty good about not doing it, especially when I'm only depositing a check. I've made it quite clear a number of times that I am quite happy to have anyone who wants to put money IN my account :D