1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress BISMARCK Update 28/10/11

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Kojak, 2 Jul 2010.

1. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

You have put my mind at ease. I love my 800D and wouldn't dream of taking a cutter to her.... well... maybe...

2. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

Ha just to add a rad or two right?!

3. [ZiiP] NaloaC

I'd love to watercool my setup, but the money just isn't there for what I want..... *goes to check bank security....*

4. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

I know what you mean, I'm getting my stuff bit by bit, it's taking me ages! Prices are getting silly now, I have to close my eyes whenever I walk past a shop window with a playstation or xbox in it cus I hate seeing how cheap they are in comparison, mind you they only handle the gaming side of things!

5. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Aye, I have a 2nd hand 360 that I got 2 years ago, it RROD on me for about 3 weeks, then fixed itself and I also have the girlfriends PS3 for Pixel Junk Shooter. The 360 cost me loads in the end due to the cost of the peripherals!

I've been looking at full motherboard blocks and a nice Lund Reservoir, the total price of what I had been thinking was something like 500sterling, so waaaayyyyy beyond what I can afford now. Some day though, maybe when I upgrade Sui Generis. :D

6. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Looking good mate. Thats some serious kit you've got there. I would be so pi**ed off if I had to start cutting stuff up because it won't fit:waah:

Oh hang on I do have a habit of cutting stuff up. Oh well these things are sent to try us, as they say..

Keep it up, looking forward to seeing all the gear squashed in to that case.:thumb:

7. Raiden

Raiden Portuguese reviewer

Dont take me wrong but i wana see you fit the Sr2 in a case that hasnt been made for it , it´s very interesting how are you planning to do it???

You should have done a scratch case for it , you would have saved a lot of € or Dollars and you wouldn´t need to wreck the case.

You got my attention keep on posting updates ;D

8. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

Cheers Bulldog! I was more pi**ed off back at the begining of the year when I first got the case and wasn't aware of all the kit you can get for pc's, started reading Custom Pc and using Bit-Tech and my eye's opened and jaw dropped over all the gear and it became apparent that I was only gonna be able to fit in one rad which jus wasn't gonna do it for me, so I began cutting and the project began! :naughty:

Thanks Raiden, I was all geared up for the rampage III Extreme and prior to the SR-2 being released, for some reason I didn't think the board would be successful because it was a first for EVGA, Bit-Tech reviewed it and how wrong was I, I was left needing it and the case mod was too far gone to start over so had to adapt. The two cpu's will be a massive performance boost for my audio production software, If I was just gaming I would have stuck with the Rampage.

I'll try an get some pic's/ renders posted to show how I'm thinking of extending the back out. I can't do anything at the mo because I'm waiting for the steel to turn up at the workshop. :)

9. bulldogjeff

So let me get this right, your going to hang the mobo out of the back of the case...i must have picked that up wrong surely.:dremel:

10. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

Yes mate thats right, here I've done you a quick sketch to show you what I'm thinking of!

[​IMG]

11. bulldogjeff

Tell ya what, if it works, thats going to look the absolute muts doo dahs. Off the top of my head, it's not a mod I've seen done before. looking forward to seeing this one take shape.

12. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

Cheers Bulldog, fingers crossed cus it's either gonna look good or awful!

13. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

Hmm, nice build.
    However, given that it is black and stealthy looking and intended by its conception to be quiet in operation I would be renaming it inline with another WW2 icon......A SUBMARINE.

K19 (The Widowmaker) with reference from the Harrison Ford film maybe.

Good work.

14. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

I understand where your coming from but it had to be black or battleship grey and the latter would have looked horrible, so black it was. If you read my "reason behind the name" at the begining of the thread I cover why I called it Bismarck, it goes a bit deeper than its appearance.

Good idea of naming it after a submarine though, although I can't help but think you'd be cursing your build by calling it K19, that thing was nicknamed the Widowmaker for a reason.

How about RED OCTOBER, now that would be cool! :naughty:

15. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I think that name's used (in case modding) too. Keep the current name. It'll be as heavy as a battleship when finished.:D

16. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Any progress? I'm dying to see how you're getting on!

17. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

Mate I've been really ill over the last month so the project came to a bit of a standstill but I've been back in the workshop today. I'll get some pictures uploaded to show you where I'm at,

Cheers Tattysnuc.

Last edited: 17 Nov 2010
  18. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

Long overdue update, 17th November

This is a much needed long overdue update, my progress has been slowed down lately because I just haven't been able to get time in the workshop because I can only work on my own jobs when there is not much work on and as it happens the work coming in has been non stop.

This update will cover how I made my 2nd attempt at my motherboard tray (first one ended up on the scrap heap) to suit the SR2 and some new bits of hardware I've added.

So to get things started I'll get the new hardware additions I've bought out of the way so we can down to the nitty gritty on the fabrication side of things. I went with 2 EK-Supreme full nickel cpu blocks for my choice of cpu cooling, also added an extra XSPC 240 rad which will be used for cooling the motherboard, though I still haven't decided if this will use a new loop or existing.

I've also added a PCI Express firewire card to the setup which has a TI chipset, this is purely just for my audio interface that is external.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some pics here to show you guys the sort of equipment I'm using in the workshop to get things done. Below is the guillotene and cropper which I use to cut the sheet metal to size and then shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drilling the holes for the standoffs I used the pillar drill and a 2.6mm drill bit.

[​IMG]

Tapped the holes using a 6-32UNC HSS tap

[​IMG]

I've welded a lip on the tray which serves two purposes, 1st it keeps the tray from flexing an getting bent and 2nd it will prevent warm air from escaping into the case as it's exhausted round the back of the motherboard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tray finished all but primed and painted, with the cut outs for the cpu's waterblock and cable managment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New one VS old one!

[​IMG]

To get the tray to fit in the case this lip needed to be cut out using the trusty dremel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A minor adjustment, the tray just fouling on the case so this had to be cut out.

[​IMG]

Time to get the SR2 ready for a test fit ...may aswell fit the waterblock while I'm at it, so old one out and new one in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hey presto, waterblock on and the SR2 fits on the tray with the holes lining up all but one but I can live with that because I've got some plastic inserts that come with the SR2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 240 rad will eventually be fitted at the rear of the case once the extension is fabbed up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So the next job is to fab up the new extension for the rear of the case which will close the big cut out off and make every thing look more complete, so watch out for my next update where things will really start to get interesting which should be over the next week. :rock:

Last edited: 17 Nov 2010
  19. bulldogjeff

I was wondering just the other day what was happening with this, now I know..lol. It's looking like the mobo tray problem is under control. it's all looking very neat and tidy.nice one kojack:thumb:

20. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

Cheers Bulldog, hopefully it marks the end of hacking into the case cus there's not much left to play with! :hehe:

Razer2007 likes this.