1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress White Steel.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Astroreeper, 14 Sep 2010.

?

Who's the best motherboard manufacturer?

1. Gigabyte

31.9%
  2. Asus

44.7%
  3. MSI

6.4%
  4. EVGA

17.0%
  5. AsRock

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

I don't think it's actually possible to use 3 of those cards in tandem unfortunately.

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

I understand it to be 4 GPU's max in Crossfire due to driver limitation, so only 2 could be used in a crossfire setup - maybe wrong though.

3. Astroreeper

Astroreeper What's a Dremel?

It will be a beast won't it. lol

@Vasskjoling, I did consider the SR2, but realised it's another £3/4,000.
    I'd have to get myself top spec Xeon and two of the blighters. And I really don't think that's a pay off in performance for an increase of 50% in budgetry terms.

@_Fanatic, I suggest you look for a new model with either a very good job so she won't care. Or maybe one that doesn't spend all your money in the first place. lol
    Luckily or unluckily, I don't currently have that problem. But I'm sure the gf will get her claws into my wallet at some point in the next couple of years. lol

Right back to CAD for the day me thinks. ;)

4. Astroreeper

Cheers for the heads up Xonar, I'll look further into it. But it'll definately take two cards with dual GPU's. I may even switch to four single GPU cards depending on cost.

5. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Hehe if only... we have our first baby on the way in December so my money is well spent already, got two blighters digging into my wallet soon enough!!! No new gear for me for a little while anyway - well, that her indoors will know about anyway! :worried:

Back to your build, looking forward to seeing this go together, good luck :thumb:

6. Astroreeper

Cheers _Fanatic, congratulations on your soon to be new arrival. Condolences to your wallet. lol

Well I'm not going to be rushing it, I want it to be immaculate, but also give myself time to refine the design as I go.
    Not only that, but I only have AutoCAD 2002 at home, and have been used to a much more modern and easy to use program when I was a CNC programmer.
    So there are many features I'm yet to learn fully.
    You've no idea how frustrating it is, knowing what I want to do, yet nothing is making logical sense in comparison with what I have been using at work. lol

But this is a journey after all, and you're more than welcome to join me on the ride. ;)

7. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

No problem, I will say though, 3 5870's is probably the max you'll want to go with Crossfire as scaling becomes awful as soon as you reach 4 GPU's, in some games even tri-fire is running equal to only 2 cards.

Your best bet would be either 3x5870's or 1x5970 and 1x5870, either way you're getting 3 GPU's but depending on your budget/available PCI-E slots either option would give you a massive amount of performance for those crazy eyefinity resolutions.

8. Astroreeper

@Xonar Yeah Iv'e just been going through some details, and have taken a look at the GeForce 480's To see what I can manage to fit in with some performance juggle room. There just seems to be a real lack of conclusive information about what is achievable on the board Iv'e chosen. But this will be my first triple card set up. My concept may have to be adjusted, but that's sometimes how it goes when you do something for the first time. ;)

Have you a link to anywhere I can work out the maths?

9. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

I had assumed you were keen on an ATI setup but if you are happy to go with Nvidia also then that opens up a lot more possibilities.

What is it you're trying to work out exactly?

10. Astroreeper

I just want to learn how all the numbers work really. Not being a GPU expert and not understanding fully how the threads run through the board completely puts me at a disadvantage.
    But I'm always keen to learn everything I can, so that I make better more informed decisions.

I appreciate your help though, thanks. :D

11. Astroreeper

Got a bit bored with the CAD work, so I thought I'd leave it for a while. But decided to post some old pics of my current favourite machine.
    The only thing that has changed is that the iside is now painted black, and I tidied up the cabling a bit more. And also put a FJ 260Gb HDD too.

[​IMG]

I love to drive and fly. :jawdrop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the facts and figures for those that are interested.

Motherboard: GigabyteGA-X48-DS5, Intel Core 2 Multi-Core LGA775
    CPU Speed and Chipset: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3Ghz Standard, 4.2Ghz O.C. FSB 1333Mhz, 12Mb L2 cache. / X48 n.b./ ICH9R s.b.
    Heatsink Style: Triple heatpipe, EK Super High Flow Plexi Waterblock.
    Power Supply: Jeantech Absolute, Modular 1000w, 72 pin.(Moduals) 32 pin m.b.
    Hard Drive: Hitachi 750Gb 7200rpm, Fukitsu Siemens 260Gb 7200rpm.
    Graphics: Nvidia Inno 3D, 1Gb 9800 GT
    Sound Card: Soundblaster Fatal1ty Xfi Platinum.
    Memory: 8Gb @ 4Gb Corsair Dominator, 1200 Mhz + 4Gb PNY 1200 Mhz all DDR2 Balanced with Iolo System Mechanic Pro Ram defragmenter.
    CD/DVD Drives: LG Super Dual Layer Multi 22x DVD RW
    USB/Firewire Ports: 9x USB 2.0, 2x IEEE1394

WATERCOOLING: EK Super High Flow Plexi CPU Waterblock, X5PC Dual Reservoir, Lai-DDC-1PlusT Ultra Laing 18w pump, Thermochill 360 Triple Radiator, 3x Yate Loon 120mm Fans, FANS: Koolance 220mm Blue Side fan, Akasa 120mm Blue Front Intake and HDD Fan, Akasa 120mm Blue Lower Rear Intake, Silenx Ixtrema 92mm Red Upper Rear Exhaust, Silenx Ixtrema 92 mm Red Top Exhaust, Zalman VF900-Cu VGA. MONITORS: NZXT Sentry2 5x fan, 5x Temp, Aquacomputer Aquaero 4.0 Monitor with 6x temp 2x pump 4x fan.

Lighting: Fan Lighting, Lower 3/4 Light Blue, Upper 1/4 Red. 2 10" cathode

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate.
    Mouse/Keyboard Style: Logitech Cordless Wave Keyboard, Logitech 848nm Laser Mouse.
    Audio: Logitech X530 5.1
    Monitor: Hanns G 28" Full HD

Overclocks: CPU, from 3Ghz-4.2Ghz.
    Temperatures: Idle 17C @ Standard 3Ghz. 22c @4.2Ghz O.C. Load test to follow.
    HDD 22C, Regulator 26C, NB 28C, SB 39C, Internal Case Temp 5C above room temp, Rad pot temps same as CPU somehow. lol, GPU 36C.

All idle temps...:naughty:

12. Astroreeper

Contenplation....

So today I'm getting a little bit of designers block. I think I'll occupy myself with earning some real money for the day. lol

13. Astroreeper

Tags: