1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Warp Core - offline indefinitely...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Combatus, 5 Dec 2009.

1. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

2. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

lol awesome:D

3. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Yeah seen that clip before, it's awesome! As a matter of fact, Warp Wore is driving me nuts! Not BSODs though - very slow SSD (think I've sorted this by reinstalling Windows and switching to AHCI mode ont eh controller) and more worryingly, if I put 3x2GB sticks of RAM in, only 4GB is recognised (yes I'm running W7 64bit). It's really odd - Windows actually sees 6GB but says only 4GB is usable but whatever goes in the first slot isn't recognised. All sticks are fine. Apparently it can be an issue with bent socket pins or even with the CPU itself. Or a dead DIMM slot:duh: For the moment I'm running 6GB in dual channel mode but there are a hell of a lot of other people reporting the same issue.

4. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

My MSI X48C plat had this exact problem, I got onto the tech support on the MSI website, and they gave me a special beta version of the BIOS which solved the problem. Maybe that could work for you.

5. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Could you not use the other set of DIMM slots? Mod looks awesome btw :thumb:

6. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

How the hell did I miss this one! I like the idea with the tubing instead of braid, it' not something I've seen before. The original paint job is an odd colour to choose , but it worked quite well. It's all looking really good, nice one mate:thumb:

7. phenoptix

phenoptix What's a Dremel?

Any update on your RAM issues? Are the LEDs working out ok? I've been away from the forums for a while. Having a morning of catching up on projects!

8. Combatus

Unfortunately not! All three sticks appear to work, just not in the first slot. I took the CPU block off and inspected the pins which seem to be okay but it was difficult to see properly inside the case with tubing everywhere! Will probably remove the motherboard at some point and give it a propper inspection - till then its 6GB in dual channel mode - at least I'm not losing a lot of performance.

LEDs are awesome!!! I did a bit of soldering last week and wired them up. They're much brighter than I thought they'd be. Just need to find the time to play with them and the new Star Trek control panel to see how they will be most effective - I need the light to be as even as possible. I'll have an update soon!:D

9. phenoptix

phenoptix What's a Dremel?

:D Great to hear! Fingers crossed the problem with that first slot will become apparent when you get into bits.

10. Astroreeper

Astroreeper What's a Dremel?

Iv'e just spotted this build, and really like what you're doing with it.

I haven't got time to read right through, but I will do when I have more time.

I look forward to seeing the finished article. ;)

11. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

It would be perfect if you could get lights to pulse along that top window towards the reservoir like it does in the TV series.

12. Combatus

I know! Been trying to find a way of doing the exact same thing - even considering tearing apart a kiddie toy or something! We'll see! Planning on some updates over the xmas hols too. Stay tuned!

13. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

i know that you could some how program a microc-ontroller to do so
    then all you have to do is attach the LEDs correctly

14. jopers1986

jopers1986 Minimodder

Really nice work, good to see an awesome classic Lian Li being being modded!!

15. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Sweet build mate ! Love to see more, are you still working on it?
    Love the data bsod clip too!
    Best
    ASPHIAX

16. Combatus

Thanks ASPHIAX - I'd prefer to have yours sitting on my desk if I'm honest - can't wait to see it finished!

I am still planning on finishing Warp Core - just waiting for the weather to get a bit warmer so I can do some work outside. It's barely been above 5'C here since November! Got lots of soldering and acrylic cutting to do. Will hopefully have an update soon!

17. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

I know the weather in the UK can be dodgy, its practically the same as in the Netherlands!
    looking forward to it mate !

18. DesignBlueprinter

DesignBlueprinter What's a Dremel?

Truly awesome, I am please even more since I have used that exact case model to build a gaming rig before for a friend, truly jaw dropping

19. Combatus

Finally an update! Actually I'm cheating slightly with this one - I took the images last year and somehow I never posted them! Even so, I wanted to clear the cache ready for more updates so here they are:

[​IMG]

I originally decided to use two double 120mm-fan radiators because at the time, Aquatuning, who sponsored the project, didn't have a quad 120mm fan Phobya rad. However, the plumbing was getting pretty complicated so when the rad was released, I snapped one up. Fantastic bit of kit and feels better made than Thermochill rads I've had in the past and has a really wide fin spacing, which is ideal as noise is to be kept to an absolute minimum.

[​IMG]

The end G1/4in threads are particularly useful in my case as one of them acts brilliantly as a drain port - flushing most of the coolant out in about 15 seconds!

[​IMG]

Urgh. MESS! :sigh: Roll on wireless power! Things haven't progressed much either. When I install the Star Trek panel, I'll take everything out and have a humongous cable braiding session I think. Have to say, though, the Phobya fans are awesome - easily on par my old Scythe GTs for noise and airflow.

[​IMG]

I already knew it would fit as the dual 120mm-fan rads are the same size, but it felt pretty good having this huge rad just slide straight in. Almost made for the V2000!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other close-up shots of those rear drain ports.

[​IMG]

That's it for now! Hoping to find a few days during the long weekends us Brits have coming up do crack on with some acrylic work. I'll be back!

20. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

looking good dude. Thats a really tight fit, was it planned or just lucky...lol