1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Halo: Reach Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 Sep 2010.

1. Zeali

Zeali What's a Dremel?

Single player is meh but still better what was in Halo 3.
    Multiplayer i think is much better than other halos.
    Still this feels like a halo 3.5 with better graphics, not a brand new game. It feels like bungie is taking the safe road and just upgrades and fixes some problems but doesn't innovate as much as industry requires these days.

In the end: Best halo game out there, but bungie took the easy road and only made some updates and fixes to old formula. If you liked old halos you love this one. If you hated old halos, this wont change your mind.

2. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

I totally agree about the campaign, totally forgettable (like most really, bar 1, literally ;)), but you don't seem to have done justice to modes outside simple multiplayer and campaign. Only mention forge in passing even though it has had huge upgrades and firefight takes a sentence. I know most people mostly consider the main two modes but I find them really fun ;)

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

You lost me at "Xbox 360 exclusive" :wallbash:

4. ian8415

ian8415 What's a Dremel?

I wonder what bungie are goning to do know? All that talent, they could do for the Pc, what they did for the xbox. I am looking forward to a new original game from them whatever its on.

5. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Isn't this Bungie's last hooray with Halo? I'm sure I heard somewhere it was going to Gears for the next release.

Anyway, never played any of the Halo series (I just don't have the thumbs for console gaming anymore). However, I've not seen my son since Tuesday so I'm guessing it's an OK game.

6. GiantStickMan

GiantStickMan What's a Dremel?

Not sure why people keep citing the first game as being so great - specifically the single player portion - granted, I didn't play it till its PC release though. Sure, it had moments of brilliance and the scope was pretty amazing for a console title back then, but it was so repetitive especially those bits where you start fighting the flood and it was corridor after corridor of the same thing.
    I never played no. 2, but I quite liked the SP in Halo 3. I'll definitely be getting this - but not till it drops in price. I can think of better games to justify the full retail price on.

7. Snips

Official word just in.......

My lad surfaced from his room this morning to give us all insight into just how good Halo Reach is.

Me "Hi mate, what's Halo Reach like?

Son "Great!"

So there you have it, one word review from a teenager. Did your review really need 2 pages Joe?

8. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Me "Hi Grandad, what was WWII like?"

My Grandad "****!"

So there you have it, one word review from a soldier. Do we need all the media coverage of it, the books, the ceremonies, the references, the remembrance day services?

See, this is my problem with franchises. They find a formula that works, and they basically repeat it every year with a few additions every few years. To give an example, I find CoD4 just as fun as MW2, the gameplay is basically the same. I got my money's worth (in terms of ingame time) from CoD4, I got my money's worth from MW2 in terms of gametime - but if I hadn't bought MW2, I'd have just played on CoD4 some more - did I get my money's worth from MW2?

9. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Say what you all want but I thoroughly enjoyed the single player campaign.

10. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

^This.

One of the most enjoyable campaigns I've played.

Bit-tech editors may not enjoy the game, but I have, and will thoroughly enjoy it also. :)

11. Snips

Don't be funny. How could you possibly compare WWII with Halo reach.

Kids when they get to a certain age usually their teens, tend to use one word answers for everything.

Read the post again with some humour this time deadpan.

12. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

I was just saying that just because something can be described in one word doesn't mean it should be.

Reviews are here for a reason - and i'm not sure what your post was meant to point out. Certainly, I didn't see the humour, but then again I'm strange.

13. Snips

It was meant to point out that teenagers give one word answers!

You idiot!

14. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

One word comment:

Overreaction.

15. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Gentlemen, please calm down and start behaving like adults or I'll swap you all over for a probably more mature teenage market, m'kay?

16. MacWalka

MacWalka What's a Dremel?

Unfortunatley I can't read the review in work as it has 'games' filtered now, even during lunch :(

I'll assuming you gave it a 'meh' review Joe.

I've completed the campaign and thought it was really good, felt proper emotions at quite a few of the parts. Ecstatic on completing missions, despair when the Covenenant pulled out another trick.

The two downsides I have from the Campaign are the stupid ally AI-the Covenant AI is brilliant. The retreat when outnumbered, flank you when you are in good cover, dodge when you fire on them rather than them standing there and taking it. The allies however don't do any of this. They just die if marines, the other SPARTANs are decent though things like Emille never using anything other than a Shotgun is annoying.

The other downside was that I thought there would be a bigger allied army involved in Tip of the Spear with the player. But you only see the army at the intro and then you are on your own with a few marines and SPARTANS-it would of been nice to have some of the warthogs and stuff fighting alongside you in that mission. Most of the other missions were great though.

Matchmaking is still superb. It's still my favourite online FPS simply because of the way matches are played. I hate joining games when they are half finished and I find the Halo games are good at matching people with similar skill compared to most games PC or console.

I haven't tried Forge yet but it is meant to be brilliant for a console map builder.

Firefight is pretty good, I'm glad they added in matchmaking from ODST for that as I felt that was a big oversight in ODST.

17. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

I watched a friend play it... I declared heresy within the first 20 minutes as it doesn't even go with canon (I loved the Halo books) - Decided that Halo has forever been destroyed and have mentally decided that I'm building a time-machine/dimensional riftway (Doom3 style baby...) and going in to show the Spartan's and Humanity how to fight 'the old fashioned way'... half naked, drunk on rum... with a big axe. Simple (Even if I have to build a space-based-planet-sized-axe-of-doom...)

Anyway, The game's fairly kick as$ as per usual with Halo, Fluid and smashy smashy! just how Halo:CE used to be! Good game, crap story. :)

18. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I was a big fan of Halo, back in the day, but when they 'Killed' the PC plateform I changed my alligence.

19. Snips

Yeah, I used to collect plateforms as well. I joined a club from the back of a magazine to collect Star Trek The Next Generation plates with artwork of the cast and ships.

(Just kidding, I also didn't collect the plates. My geekdom doesn't go that far yet)

20. Kasius

Kasius Bringin' the dremolition

We were playing 4 player split screen slayer matches for hours on end Sunday night. Where did the time go :(

We really enjoyed it, although i don't think my neibours appreciated all the shouting. I've heard mixed reviews about the campain, i'll naturally stay resesved till i've had a chance to play through it.

Tags: Add Tags